• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Setup - Bergara HMR Pro with Heavy Barrel

Hawkins

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
Hi All. I've done some searching around and can't quite pinpoint a solution to my issue.

First of all, I recently acquired a Bergara HMR Pro in 6.5 CM. As the title suggest, it is the Heavy Barrel version. My primary (and probably sole) use of this will be recreation and likely competition long range shooting once I gather a level of comfort with operating. That being said, I am looking at the scope/mount setup and would like to get the opinions of the group. Also worth noting that I am new to the long range rifle game and am kind of jumping in with both feet here!

1) For Scope, I was thinking the Leupold Mark 5HD. Specifically the 5-25x56. I was told and in my readings, it seems that scopes are where you should spend the money and I'd like to stick with Leupold for various reasons. That being said, my local range where I am a member has a 100 yd bench rest, 200 yd, 300 yd, 500 yd, and 600yd rifle range. I'd primarily be shooting here but know i'd like to eventually shoot at 1000 yds (or more). Those ranges are 3 hrs away and shooting those would not be the norm. However, if I get more into comp, traveling and shooting would be nice. Do I have the right scope for what I am looking for? Should I go down in power? I'd rather not be in a position where I have to upgrade later but am unsure if I should stick with the 5-25 or if I should go down to the 3.6-18x44.

2)For Scope mount, I would likely just purchase the Leupold 20MOA rail (again trying to keep in Leupold family for price reasons) Specifically it would be this one (https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/mark-4-remington-700-la-1-pc-20-moa-8-40-adaptable). Note that the Bergara is post-2018 so the 8-40 screws are required. Also, the recommendation from Bergara is a 20MOA mount. Any issues with this mount that you all are aware of?

3)Scope Rings is where I am struggling, especially that the Bergara has the Heavy Barrel. . Leupold sells 35mm rings in High and Super High. Question is -- with the setup above and the Heavy Barrel, is High good enough? Do I need Super High? Is there any 3rd party Rings that would be better (prefer $150 or less).

Thanks in advance for your help with this. Much appreciated and look forwarding to being a contributing member to the group!

Last edited:
Reactions: TreyMeTrey
I’m using Seekins Precision rings and base on my Bergara with no complaints.

I’m using Seekins Precision rings and base on my Bergara with no complaints.
I ran a badger ordance base on my hmr pro without issue.
Area419 makes a nice base for the Bergara hmr pro as well.

Do any of you know if the Heavy Barrel changes the type of scope rings needed? Leupold has a chart (https://cdnp.leupold.com/products/productDownloads/ring_height_chart.pdf?mtime=20180416082747) which seems to indicate that with a 56mm objective size scope which is what the 5-25 scope is, Super High tends to be the recommendation? Also, some of the other comments seem to suggest a heavy barrel may require a step up. Not sure if you have any direct thoughts on this or what type of scope you had success with?

They make a heavy barrel version?

I have that same Leupold 20 moa base on my Bergara BMP 6.5 - with Vortex Precision med. rings holding a Steiner T5xi 5-25x56 scope. Work fine for me may not for others.

I have that same Leupold 20 moa base on my Bergara BMP 6.5 - with Vortex Precision med. rings holding a Steiner T5xi 5-25x56 scope. Work fine for me may not for others.

Ok. Thanks for this. I'll look up the specs for the Vortex Precision rings. I've heard that different manuf. call Medium, High, Super High different things (or have different heights).

I mean, according to their catalogue, that’s still only a No. 6 taper...

I mean, according to their catalogue, that’s still only a No. 6 taper...

I'll be honest, I am not sure what that means. New to long range precision game. I got the heavy barrel because I figured any additional metal in the barrel would be better considering I don't plan to carry this around for hunting purposes. I did note that the weight difference is only 0.3lbs so how "heavy" could it be.

Reactions: Tokay444
Ok. Thanks for this. I'll look up the specs for the Vortex Precision rings. I've heard that different manuf. call Medium, High, Super High different things (or have different heights).
I used pennies to determine scope ring height... mine was about 5 or 6 pennies and resulted in medium height rings... I just took the pennies to the store with me and compared to the different ring heights till I found what matched.. I read this some where on the internet and it worked out great for me.