• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope size looks appropriate for gun, am I nuts?

z-man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2006
Deep South
Well I have my new ai mk 3 on the way, looking at my glass on hand for it. It has a stubby 20 inch tube with brake. I will be using a 644 4x raptor for night work, so will be using qd rings on the day, I have a set of extra low larues in my stuff so may use them. My 2 on hand day optics is my well used 2.5-8 mrt that has a lot of real world use in the sand box on it and 3.5-10 lrt m3. Am I nuts to want to use the mrt as with a folder and stubby tube I think it will look way more size appropriate? Comments, insults? - will be shooting out to 600 max probably with this rig. Thanks Z

Re: Scope size looks appropriate for gun, am I nuts?

I went a night force f1. The rifle is a beast already, so don't worry about the scope size. If it was me I would drop the 3-10 on it. It's nice to be able to reach out farther if you need it.

Yep, you're nuts. Use the right tool for the job rather than what "looks" right.

Your new AI is worthy a of better scope than those you've mentioned. Stick a NF F1 3.5-15, Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21 or the new Razor 5-20 with 10 mil knobs on it.

Who cares what it looks like. If the scope suites your needs then youre good to go. I have a 35mm razor hd on my 18.5 308. Yes its a big ass scope, but i like the features of it and it works well for my uses.

Same here if it does the job go with it. I have a Votex PST 4-16X50 FFP on my BCM4. Big scope but it does the job

Get what you want and take others suggestions with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own flavor.

The most important thing is that YOU like it. Don't worry about how it looks or what other people think. If you like it than its fine.

Yes, you are 'nuts' if you think anybody else's opinion but your own matters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z-man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I have my new ai mk 3 on the way, looking at my glass on hand for it. It has a stubby 20 inch tube with brake. I will be using a 644 4x raptor for night work, so will be using qd rings on the day, I have a set of extra low larues in my stuff so may use them. My 2 on hand day optics is my well used 2.5-8 mrt that has a lot of real world use in the sand box on it and 3.5-10 lrt m3. Am I nuts to want to use the mrt as with a folder and stubby tube I think it will look way more size appropriate? Comments, insults? - will be shooting out to 600 max probably with this rig. Thanks Z </div></div>

Well as long as your rig doesn't end up looking like this - there's no "wrong choice" based on your needs & requirements.
crazy.gif

redneck_assault_rifle.jpg

I wonder if that would fall afoul of the silly "two or more accessories" rule in states like California?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your new AI is worthy a of better scope than those you've mentioned. Stick a NF F1 3.5-15, Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21 or the new Razor 5-20 with 10 mil knobs on it. </div></div>

+1
Looks cool does not = hits on target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand the question. Maybe I'm nuts? </div></div>

+1

Unlike most here, you (z-man) actually have used your stuff in real life. I'm not really sure why/what you're asking since you already realize the importance of the right tool for the job vs. looks. No one here needs to lecture you on that. I say go for what you like, I definitely find some value in the way the rig/glass combo looks. I don't think you're nuts in the slightest, it's a big part of my overall enjoyment of firearms too.

Z-man, I don't think you are nuts, it is your gear, do whatever you need/want with it and do not worry soo much about the little things like "how it looks"
cheers and good shooting.