• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes scope suggestion for an HK sr9/91/...

cyrekzz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2009
Minnesota
I have an HK SR9 with a stanag claw mount with built-in 30 mm rings. Those of you that have had experience with choosing a scope know that it is limited because of the charging handle in the locked open position. It would be a no-brainer if i were looking for a low powered 1-4, 2-8 powered optic.

However, i want more magnification than that if possible, like up to 14x with a 40-50mm objective.
Most of the scopes with those wants, are too long. I think too long would be over 12.5 inches - but i'm not sure. Would someone be able to confirm this? Looking at the leupold mark 4 4.4-14x 50 lrt non-ffp
frown.gif
,and i think it's 12.5 inches end to end according to their specs on their website. Any other suggestions - i'm trying to stay below 1000 if i can. 2 - 10 optics would be my very 2nd choice as i like to get the most magnification i can. Also looked at the nightforce 2.5-10 36. it's 12 inches which i know would fit but not the 14x that i would like.

Also, i'd prefer FFP but i guess i can't have it all.

Re: scope suggestion for an HK sr9/91/...

If you want something that looks somewhat "period" correct on the rifle, look at the Kaps 2.5-10x50 or 56mm scopes, FFP, german made, nice glass and quality.

v6kx1c.jpg

The only downsides are the clicks are very soft and the reticle is a little thin, I ordered the "Sniper" reticle, I think the German #4 might be a better option. They look good on the gun imho, though just a snap large.

And they are around $8-900ish?

The other option is the Zeiss conquest 4.14x44 with mildot reticle, these are SFP but nice glass, better clicks and parallax adjustment $850ish iirc, and I think the 44mm objective ok with the cocking handle, but don't quote me on that!

The grail scope for these guns is the 3-12x50 S&B PM1's
But they are very rare FFP, and as cool as you can get, but well over $1K when they surface. I'll never sell mine
smile.gif

You can go a little longer than 12.5, but the charging handle will need to be pulled/released instead of the traditional HK "slap" due to the addt'l scope length. Also, YMMV because the max length of your scope will be determined a lot by how much eye relief you have in the scope (and thus how far back/forward you mount it), which stock you have installed, etc. Also, I would avoid scopes with obj of 50mm and larger because of how they can interfere with your ability to operate the charging handle depending on the length of the scope (most 50mm obj and larger scopes will be longer and thus cause you problems).

I have a 91 wearing a Leupold VariX-3 1.5-5x20 (around 9.5" long).

I also have an MSG-90 clone with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 (13.5" long).

so it sounds like to be safe and to stay under the charging handle - i think the longest length i can go is about 12.5 inches in scope length - which leaves me with the nightforce 2.5 - 10 x 36 - which is over 1000 or a leupold 4.5 - 14 50 non-illum sfp... i believe it is 12.5 inches. hmmm... thanks for the input guys. Guess i'm leaning towards the leupold simply because of the price and magnification i can get. But too bad it's right at that 12.5 inch mark. I'll have to mount my claw mount when i get it and measure the room i have - then i guess i can find specs on the front end of the scopes as to where i would mount it ring-wise.

thanks,
matt

If you add a cheek rest you can go with higher rings to clear the charging handle and still get the appropriate alignment and eye relief. Not period correct but I'm using a B-square mount, high rings, and a Bushnell Elite scope on mine and the scope is short enough that the charging handle ends in front of the scope bell. You should be able to fit the 3-15 Tactical scope on it and the scope should not interfere with the handle. Measure to be sure though.

picture.php

yeah - i guess it will all come down to proper eye relief and then measuring - i'm going to use my horus hawk just for a initial measurement of eye height. Then i guess we'll see. Guess i'm not really gonna be varmint hunting with this gun - so a 2 - 10 scope might be ok... i just know that even at 100 yds, for me, i like to see a target kinda big. I like seeing the holes i make
smile.gif

So where did you guys get your mounts with the built in rings - i got mine but i think i'm 90% sure it's not authentic.

There is a difference between the Stanag mount (no rings built in) which uses Stanag bolt-in rings and the integral mount with the rings built in.

For the Stanag, try Robert at RTG parts. He usually has authentic German Stanag Mount and EAW Stanag rings (the German contractor to HK) in stock. See here:

http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

If not from Robert, get with Adam Webber at HKParts.net. See here:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/home.asp

The other outlets for original mounts including HKPro's For Sale forums and Gunbroker (caveat emptor).

yeah - i actually ordered a used mount from cheaper than dirt. I was thinking of going with the ARMS #21 stanag rings... since it looks like the robertrtg rings are sold out.

just wish i could find on with built in rings - they look the best in my opinion.

This may be a good time to ask...

What accuracy can you expect out of a HK91 or PTR91, with a good scope/mount and match ammo?

I think PTR offers weld on picatinny rails, I don't know if they (or somebody else) works on other brands but that might be the best option for a mount, sleek, light, solid and low profile. The swedes reconditioned their G3s(AK4) with weld on rails.

Bruegger and Thomet offers a lower bolt on mount(expensive), but you can use a larger variety of rings on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buddhapapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bruegger and Thomet offers a lower bolt on mount(expensive), but you can use a larger variety of rings on it. </div></div>

And only 13mos late with that advice!!!! Oh well...better late than never.
wink.gif

I have long supported the use of the B&T mount, but for anyone looking in on this thread, take a minute to look over the MFI mounts from Adam at HKParts which is a very nice, suitable, cost-saving alternative to the expensive B&T mount that can be tough to get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so it sounds like to be safe and to stay under the charging handle - i think the longest length i can go is about 12.5 inches in scope length - which leaves me with the nightforce 2.5 - 10 x 36 - which is over 1000 or a leupold 4.5 - 14 50 non-illum sfp... i believe it is 12.5 inches. hmmm... thanks for the input guys. Guess i'm leaning towards the leupold simply because of the price and magnification i can get. But too bad it's right at that 12.5 inch mark. I'll have to mount my claw mount when i get it and measure the room i have - then i guess i can find specs on the front end of the scopes as to where i would mount it ring-wise.

thanks,
matt </div></div>

I am going to be mounting a Schmidt and Bender 4-16x50 PM II LP on PTR 91 shortly. From reading this article it looks like I made the right decision buying the ultra high Badger Ordnance Rings. I have a UTG claw mount on my PTR 91 with the Stanag to Picatinnay adapter. I did not consider the charging handle but the claw mount with adapter rail sits pretty high. I was doubting the Ultra High Rings. But with the discussion of charging handle interference I may have made the right decision. Will report back next weekend when I mount the scope. I also have a Magpul Tactical/Sniper Stock attached with adjustable cheek and length.

yeah - i had a real HK 1 piece with the integral 30 mm rings with a leupold mark 4 4-16x50 and it fit perfectly. The only issue i ever had was the eye relief at the lowest power. My head was almost at the end of my msg90 stock. Anyways, i've since traded the sr9 out. Good luck with your scope - wish i could afford a s&b scope!