• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope suggestions for a new shooter

Norritt

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2020
Hi All - new to the forums and wanted to introduce myself / reach out for some advice. I recently purchased a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and looking for a long range scope to compliment it.

Couple things about me:
  1. Very new to precision shooting (as in this is my first rifle).
  2. I don't hunt - this will just be for bench shooting / getting my chops at learning how to use the rifle / scope at distance.
  3. I wear glasses and left eye dominant.
  4. Since I am new, I have no affinity towards MOA or MIlls (although MOA sounds like it clicks in my brain better).
  5. I live in Austin, and most of the good outdoor ranges closed. My current range has a max 100 yards for rifles - so I will be doing a lot of learning at 100 yards until I can get access to something further.
  6. My price range is about 1k
I have done some research and have comes across all the websites with their top 10 lists. Based on some of that feedback I looked around online and found some deals on scopes and narrowed the list to something like this - but wanted to get your thoughts:

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 with the floating dot reticle (I don't like the cross hair - found a deal on a brown one for 900)
Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 with the floating dot reticle
Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 (found deal on one for 900)
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50
Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 (found deal on one for 700)
Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 (I know SFP - but found deal for 700)

Thoughts on these? Any others you would suggest? Huge thank you in advance!

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 with floating dot reticle in MOA is what I settled on and I am new to it myself. I thought the same as you, to me, my brain seems like it would register MOA better and I also like the idea of the finer adjustment. All around it seems to me as if the Athlon is an excellent value.

I went with an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50 FFP MOA/MOA for my Savage 110 Tactical in .308. After 2 strokes (the first one 8 years ago today)that just clicks in what's left of my brain. I'm no glass snob but I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm pretty new to the long range game. I've taken it out to 550y. Getting solid hits with ease at that distance with 168 GMM and 168 Gr Hornady ELD Match Superformance. 172.PNG

Reactions: cghorr01
Nice looking rig! I'm sorry to hear about the strokes but glad to hear you're still putting lead on the target.

I went with an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50 FFP MOA/MOA for my Savage 110 Tactical in .308. After 2 strokes (the first one 8 years ago today)that just clicks in what's left of my brain. I'm no glass snob but I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm pretty new to the long range game. I've taken it out to 550y. Getting solid hits with ease at that distance with 168 GMM and 168 Gr Hornady ELD Match Superformance. View attachment 7379321

Reactions: drewthebrave
Go MILs. A vast majority of shooters chose MIL and will give you corrections in MILs if you're a new guy at a match.

If you go MOA, you'll have to convert. Converting isn't difficult, but why make it harder than it has to be?

One thing I would suggest is looking in the classified section. You can get more scope for your dollar that way

Go MILs. A vast majority of shooters chose MIL and will give you corrections in MILs if you're a new guy at a match.

If you go MOA, you'll have to convert. Converting isn't difficult, but why make it harder than it has to be?
You got to convert no matter what. Most people who see something down range measure the miss in feet or inches at the Target.

Seems like most are using MILs but I know my brain is predisposed towards the MOA way of thinking. I also wont be shooting any matches but I get the example. I suppose I can retrain my brain to think along the lines of MILs.

Most people who see something down range measure the miss in feet or inches at the Target.
Most people who do that don't know the first fucking thing about precision shooting. And if you think it's necessary to convert between linear and angular measurements, neither do you.

Reactions: drewthebrave
The only legitimate reason would be if you're going to be shooting PRS matches and dating a spider (lol...using a spotter)other than yourself. The other issue would be selling your scope if need be... Mil mil sells faster

Beyond match shooting is there a legitimate reason I shouldn't go MOA?

Yes. Let me put you out of your misery right now
  1. Milliradians are not metric
  2. You don't need to know the metric system to use milliradians (commonly referred to as mils)
  3. You can have your dope in mils for your distances in yards. Works just fine.
  4. When the stadia lines (the little tickmarks up/down/left/right) on your reticle are in the same units as your turret adjustments you don't even need to think in linear units. This works in both mils and MOA.
  5. Ballistic programs (online or in your phone) can give you your round's trajectory in mils or MOA. Mils are slightly easier to remember and work with as they are base 10 numerals.

Well, that's definitely something. I appreciate the advice and insight on the subject.

Yes. Let me put you out of your misery right now
  1. Milliradians are not metric
  2. You don't need to know the metric system to use milliradians (commonly referred to as mils)
  3. You can have your dope in mils for your distances in yards. Works just fine.
  4. When the stadia lines (the little tickmarks up/down/left/right) on your reticle are in the same units as your turret adjustments you don't even need to think in linear units. This works in both mils and MOA.
  5. Ballistic programs (online or in your phone) can give you your round's trajectory in mils or MOA. Mils are slightly easier to remember and work with as they are base 10 numerals.

You can have your dope in moa. Works perfectly.
For you perhaps the right reticle may be worth consideration. Look thru some in the field if possible.

My hat's off to you for not letting the strokes stop you brother. Gotta do the best you can with what you've got and it sounds like you're doing just that. That attitude reminds me of my dad.

Thanks. I do the best I can within my limitations. Always pushing for getting better.

Reactions: MojoNixon
I would suggest reading up and making a list of scopes you like in mag ranges you like and selling at prices you want to pay then take that list and research what you can, when you can see those scopes at ranges ask the owners to look through them maybe even shoot there gear call it a try it before you buy it type of thing you can watch video's take it all with a grain of salt . big box stores are great to walk in and hold a large quantity of scopes all in one place not always the greatest places to try those goods but if they have em enjoy look across the store and see if you can see the nail heads in the far side walls look around the side of the glass to see if you like the way things look . I would also suggest not jumping on the first thing that strikes your fancy mull it over for a little while try and find the best price you can get even if it's on a used scope . But in the end , its your money your the one that has to like your purchase not me or anyone else . Good luck to you and happy scope shopping .

Last edited:
Reactions: Macman25
FYI, the range at Reveille Peak Ranch (RPR Range) in Burnet is open and has 1k (and 1k+ on Thursday mornings).

Out of the ones you listed I would go with the ETR, ideally in mils.