• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope suggestions?

Jas1984$

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
So I ended up picking up a new howa 1500 in 6.5 prc for a new hunting rig, I have decent glass on all my target rigs (pst gen2’s and a athlon ares etr) all of which I like on my target rifles but with this being a hunting rifle I’m not looking to spend much more than about 6-700 on glass. I won’t be shooting past 4-500yds on game so I don’t need the best of the best but just looking for something in my price range that will do the job.
I have been looking at the Vortex venom, strike eagle and the diamond back tactical along with Riton and Athlon. Just seeing if anyone had any insight on other brands to look at or anyone that would suggest one of the scopes I’m already looking at?
Thank you

Reactions: wb00757
I have read good things on these as well, maybe I will add this to the list. I usually put a list together and go over pros a cons to each item then pick from there.

Reactions: Texaslongshot
So I ended up picking up a new howa 1500 in 6.5 prc for a new hunting rig, I have decent glass on all my target rigs (pst gen2’s and a athlon ares etr) all of which I like on my target rifles but with this being a hunting rifle I’m not looking to spend much more than about 6-700 on glass. I won’t be shooting past 4-500yds on game so I don’t need the best of the best but just looking for something in my price range that will do the job.
I have been looking at the Vortex venom, strike eagle and the diamond back tactical along with Riton and Athlon. Just seeing if anyone had any insight on other brands to look at or anyone that would suggest one of the scopes I’m already looking at?
Thank you
Do you plan to dial elevation or hold?

Do you have a preferred weight range?

Preference between first and second focal plane?

Do you plan to dial elevation or hold?

Do you have a preferred weight range?

Preference between first and second focal plane?
I want to stick with dial elevation but would like a decent reticle incase I need to get a shot off in a hurry.
Weight isn’t a huge issue but it will be taken into consideration since I do backpack hunt.
I have gotten use to a ffp so I would like to stick with that even though some people say to go with second for huntin.

I would look at the following:

Athlon Helos 2-12. Light-ish, locking turrets if I remember right, compact, should be as good as anything priced comparably.

Burris Veracity 2-10 (or 3-15 if that mag range suits you better). Same as above, minus locking turrets. Capped windage and exposed elevation available. Perhaps a better track record of reliability since it's been around for a while. May need to shop sales or buy used to get one in your price range.

If you didn't mind SFP, the Leupold VX3 HD 3.5-10 has great glass, capped windage, low profile, locking elevation turret. There are some questions about tracking and reliability with that scope that I hesitate to wade into, failures have been reported by folks whose reputation I trust. There's also an absolute ton of them on hunting rifles across the country so a small percentage of failures is still a large number of people complaining online.

If you shop carefully you might should be able to find a VX5 HD 2-10 or possibly a 3-15 (again, on sale or used). These have a better reputation on tracking and reliability than the VX3, get you another turn on your elevation turret, etc.

I would also take a used Bushnell elite 4500 or 6500 over the tactical scopes you have listed.

I have an Athlon Ares on my long range hunting rig, I would choose something different (and did pick up a Bushnell LRHS to replace it with). I see the SE, Venom, and DB Tactical as having even more of what I dislike about the Ares (weight, bulk, big exposed turrets that can get hung up and accidentally spun when strapped or slung on a backpack, etc.) as well as a less useful magnification range for most hunting applications.

You don't need 25x to shoot animals at 500, I prefer 8-10x even when I have more available magnification. It lets me be more aware of what's going on around the animal, watch my impact, and follow the animal after the shot. 5x can definitely be more magnification than you want for a close shot.

I would look at the following:

Athlon Helos 2-12. Light-ish, locking turrets if I remember right, compact, should be as good as anything priced comparably.

Burris Veracity 2-10 (or 3-15 if that mag range suits you better). Same as above, minus locking turrets. Capped windage and exposed elevation available. Perhaps a better track record of reliability since it's been around for a while. May need to shop sales or buy used to get one in your price range.

If you didn't mind SFP, the Leupold VX3 HD 3.5-10 has great glass, capped windage, low profile, locking elevation turret. There are some questions about tracking and reliability with that scope that I hesitate to wade into, failures have been reported by folks whose reputation I trust. There's also an absolute ton of them on hunting rifles across the country so a small percentage of failures is still a large number of people complaining online.

If you shop carefully you might should be able to find a VX5 HD 2-10 or possibly a 3-15 (again, on sale or used). These have a better reputation on tracking and reliability than the VX3, get you another turn on your elevation turret, etc.

I would also take a used Bushnell elite 4500 or 6500 over the tactical scopes you have listed.

I have an Athlon Ares on my long range hunting rig, I would choose something different (and did pick up a Bushnell LRHS to replace it with). I see the SE, Venom, and DB Tactical as having even more of what I dislike about the Ares (weight, bulk, big exposed turrets that can get hung up and accidentally spun when strapped or slung on a backpack, etc.) as well as a less useful magnification range for most hunting applications.

You don't need 25x to shoot animals at 500, I prefer 8-10x even when I have more available magnification. It lets me be more aware of what's going on around the animal, watch my impact, and follow the animal after the shot. 5x can definitely be more magnification than you want for a close shot.

Thank you for the reply! Definitely some good info to take into consideration, I’m liking the helos.

Thank you
Check out the Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 or 56 in FFP with Mrad reticle.

Thank you everyone! I ended up ordering a Athlon Helos 4-20... would of gone 2-12 but I wasn’t a fan of the reticle.

Reactions: SCGunner84
Thank you everyone! I ended up ordering a Athlon Helos 4-20... would of gone 2-12 but I wasn’t a fan of the reticle.

I found the 2-12 reticle pretty good for connecting with 12" plates out to 600 yards, especially dialing for elevation. That having been said, I also decided I liked the 4-20 reticle better for longer distances. I'm shooting a 6.5 Grendel Howa mini action so I definitely appreciate having good wind holds in the reticle.