• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope to close to barrel?

clark33

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2019
Got the rifle back from SJA, decided to try a vortex razor LHT with the 50mm objective. The local gun store only had ARC 30mm X-Low rings in stock, figured I’d try them. I have clearance... but not much. Have heard instances of scope contacting barrel under recoil. Anyone with more experience in this have any insight? Thoughts? Get Lows or swap a 44mm objective scope into it?
4E377882-DA50-42FA-9647-DB81C8956418.jpeg

Yea it might, it’s a hunting rifle so I usually throw a scope coat on it if it’s gonna be wet

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Unless that gun is a pencil-barrel magnum with a lot of recoil, you have plenty. Even at that, you still likely have enough. If you're worried about it, move the outer scope ring closer to the bell of the scope for more support.

That looks like about .050 or so clearance. I might worry if it was .010 or less. I agree with the scope caps question - a scope without caps is just waiting to let you down at the worst possible moment.

You could always use the leupold scope cover. It’s the lowest profile one as far as I’m aware.

It’s on a hunting rifle, I have a gun slicker and a scope coat, should be good