• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope tracking and reticle accuracy.

ArmMcGunner

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2020
Has anybody check the accuracy of there scope reticle to see for instance that 30 moa is really 30moa in the real world and if they did check it was there any error. I was thinking to use the reticle to see if my tracking is correct That why you don’t have the measure any distances or any lines on a paper you will just need a dot on a paper line your 30 moa up with it dial 30moa down and your crosshairs should be on the dot. Am I missing something cause that sounds almost to easy!!

Last edited:
Radical? Totally gnarly bro.

On a serious note, scope tracking tests are a real thing and there's several ways to go about it. Many people will never need to do it unless they think they have an issue.

Has anybody check the accuracy of there scope radical to see for instance that 30 moa is really 30moa in the real world and if they did check it was there any error. I was thinking to use the redical to see if my tracking is correct That why you don’t have the measure any distances or any lines on a paper you will just need a dot on a paper line your 30 moa up with it dial 30moa down and your crosshairs should be on the dot. Am I missing something cause that sounds almost to easy!!

This is interesting keep us posted if you do this. Thanks,

Reactions: ArmMcGunner
SHLowlight and I developed a tool just for this purpose. It is a heavy base that holds the scope, in its mount, during the scope tracking tests. At our advanced Course, PR2, we remove each student's scope and run it through a tracking test to 10 mils / 34.3 moa. The results are sometimes very surprising, and the student takes away a precise elevation adjustment, instead of an assumption.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0208.PNG
    IMG_0208.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 105
Radical? Totally gnarly bro.

Sorry I am Dyslexic I don’t see spelling mistakes.

On a serious note, scope tracking tests are a real thing and there's several ways to go about it. Many people will never need to do it unless they think they have an issue.

this is all i do...im assuming that buying $1500-3k scopes, they got the reticle right...

i usually shoot a group, dial 12-15 mils, shoot another, and measure it with the reticle...all my scopes have been close enough to spot on, any error could have just been shooter (with 0.1mil)

when ive taken most of those scopes out to distance, had quite a few of them over the years, nothing funny shows up

i did have one scope that caused some headaches that could have been missed with basic tracking tests...i had to put it on a tracking jig...it moved correctly one direction, and slightly off the other...so depending on which way you were dialing, it could have been right or wrong at the same mil value

this is all i do...im assuming that buying $1500-3k scopes, they got the reticle right...

i usually shoot a group, dial 12-15 mils, shoot another, and measure it with the reticle...all my scopes have been close enough to spot on, any error could have just been shooter (with 0.1mil)

when ive taken most of those scopes out to distance, had quite a few of them over the years, nothing funny shows up

i did have one scope that caused some headaches that could have been missed with basic tracking tests...i had to put it on a tracking jig...it moved correctly one direction, and slightly off the other...so depending on which way you were dialing, it could have been right or wrong at the same mil value

Thank you. That is what I was wondering. Everybody assumes that the reticle is right and they always talk about the tracking when dialling but they don’t mention to check your reticle when you are doing it. Frankly I am to lazy to measure out a 100yard with a tape measure haha

SHLowlight and I developed a tool just for this purpose. It is a heavy base that holds the scope, in its mount, during the scope tracking tests. At our advanced Course, PR2, we remove each student's scope and run it through a tracking test to 10 mils / 34.3 moa. The results are sometimes very surprising, and the student takes away a precise elevation adjustment, instead of an assumption.

Here is a poor man's version I made with some scraps around the garage. Works great.

IMG_9180.JPG

All custom I assume?

Yes. I just bolted some square tubing to an old brake rotor (because it is heavy), and drilled some holes and slots in the tubing that match up with an extra key slot pic rail from my AI. Then I threaded the eye bolts through the rotor for leveling. It took about 30-45 minutes and put some old junk to good use.

Yes. I just bolted some square tubing to an old brake rotor (because it is heavy), and drilled some holes and slots in the tubing that match up with an extra key slot pic rail from my AI. Then I threaded the eye bolts through the rotor for leveling. It took about 30-45 minutes and put some old junk to good use.
Some great ideas there. Thanks

Reactions: MCHOG
I have a 1000 lbs welding bench that’s going to get a Picatinny rail soon so I can do some testing. I don’t think that will move will it?🤔

Reactions: MCHOG
Reticle accuracy and tracking are not the same thing.

Example I take scope A and a calibrated mil target and measure 100 yards from the target to the center of the turret . I perfectly align the top 5 mill reticle hash mark with the top hash mark of the target. Now does the bottom 5 mill reticle hash mark align with the 10 mil hash mark on the calibrated target. In other words does the 10 mil ruler in the optic equal 10 mils on the target.

I have found a bit of variation.

Reticle accuracy and tracking are not the same thing.

Example I take scope A and a calibrated mil target and measure 100 yards from the target to the center of the turret . I perfectly align the top 5 mill reticle hash mark with the top hash mark of the target. Now does the bottom 5 mill reticle hash mark align with the 10 mil hash mark on the calibrated target. In other words does the 10 mil ruler in the optic equal 10 mils on the target.

I have found a bit of variation.

What he said. That is exactly what I wanted to know!! Because I haven’t hear anybody talk about it and everybody is all like tracking tracking tracking but then they go ok hold 5 Mils or hold 10mils and if your reticle is not right it’s not going to be the same as dialling the 5 mil or 10 mil

It's not really talked about specifically as it's usually a small check done while testing knobs and there usually isn't an issue. I always check the reticle against my board and most everyone I know who tests tracking does it too. It's not some super secret vudoo. LOL

It's not really talked about specifically as it's usually a small check done while testing knobs and there usually isn't an issue. I always check the reticle against my board and most everyone I know who tests tracking does it too. It's not some super secret vudoo. LOL
Gotcha. So you are seeing less variation in the reticles than in the knobs and it is not worth mentioning.

With some simple math it’s pretty easy to check a reticle and dial at 100, 50 or even 25 yards.
My Cronus reticle is spot on and short .1 mil every 10 mils on the dial.