• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope with most "Color Pop"?

PowerstrokeOBX

Gunpowder Addict
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Outer Banks NC
So I was having trouble with identifying targets and landmarks at a shooting match so I decided to go to the doc and get my eyes checked. I seem to have mild color blindness but very bad color blindness in the green/yellow area.

I know this question is very subjective and will have many different answers but what scope(s) have the best color contrast and "pop"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm.

This thread could be very informative, if it's not derailed.

Good question in relation to scopes vs. eye sight colors perceived.

As to OP; the only one I've ever looked through outside, though not used, that I thought was pretty good, was the NF beast. And I'm far from a NF fanboy. I've shot or looked through a few NF's, S&B's, Vortex, Leupy's, Trijicons, and Bushnells.

One of my scopes is a Hensoldt, as far as any significant "color-pop" goes, I'd say Hensoldt be the way to go. If a guy keeps a look-out in the for-sale ads here on the hide, you'll come across the odd one listed and often under $3000. If I was you, considering the circumstances in your eyes, I'd go Henny hands down. Anyone who has crawled behind mine would agree... I've heard damn near every "wow" comment in the book at this point, lol

Best would be to look yourself if you could find somebody near-by to see for sure, but general consensus will likely point you to a used-henny (to keep inside the 3k budget anyway & is why I say "used") Pretty certain that would be the glass to give you a "problem best helped" feeling (if not solved)

Last edited:
There are glasses and contacts for patients with color blindness that may enhance your ability to perceive and differentiate colors.
Probably something you should discuss with your optometrist or opthamologist and replace your safety glasses with corrective lenses.

Premier has about the best pop of any I have seen and now redesigned as Tangent Theta are supposed to be the "scope all others are judged by"

Most "pop" I've perceived has been the NF ATACR, 2nd is Premier.

Edit to add: my best friend is red-green deficient, has trouble distinguishing OD green from brown. A little different than your case I know. However, he has the same trouble no matter what scope he uses.

Last edited:
Google "opticthoughts" and read all about the different optical qualities.

I found the Nightforce ATACR to have a very warm color rendition when comparing it side by side with a S&B 5-25.

I think what you're looking for is "contrast". Keep in mind, generally speaking as contrast increases, resolution decreases. It's all a fine balancing act.

But there are scopes out there that have better resolution AND contrast than lesser scopes, like Zeiss Diavari vs Conquest or Leupold Mark6 vs Mark4.

I have a number of scopes. In terms of color pop, I would say the Zeiss Diavari and the SWFA 5-20x50 HD gives the best "pop" or contrast. Both can be had (depending on model for the Zeiss) for below the $3k threshold.

+1 for Swarovski; Zeiss good too. Depends what your eyes are not seeing. What pops for one person doesn't mean it will for another. Get yourself on a range with a selection of scopes club shoot, and look through all the makes.

I thought the kahles had the best when I was at sport optics looking at the S&B, vortex, NF F1.

I think just about anything in the +2k range will work out for you. It's best if you hit your local shops and see what works out best for you because as you said yourself... It is subjective. I'd hate for you to take someone's recommendation and drop 3k when it doesn't work out for you. I have a. NF Beast and I think it would do the trick for you if you can handle the height. It mounted on my DTA barely fits sideways in my safe that's made for 2 guns wide. Lol. They have an acronym for beast. It's not needed. Once it's in your hands the word beast is the first thing that crosses your mind.

I own or have owned S&B, kahles, March, steiner, vortex razor hd, Bushnell XRS, hensoldt and just picked up a beast and I'll say that to me it has the most "pop" and is a phenomenal optic. To me it was worth the wait, just wished the parallax was numbered somehow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The beast was worth the wait indeed. I waited so long that I had 2 kids in the interim. The good news is I had to kids. The bad news is I havent been able to take it outside! It sure looks pretty in the safe though.

Razor Gen ll is nice a bright in terms of optical sight picture.

Overall: Swarovski. In precision scopes: NF ATACR