• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scoped AR sling setup

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Hi,

I recently bought 13" handguard for my AR.
    It let me have the sling mounted even further out, but not sure if it is good or bad, but I once read that by default going forward helps.

I have never tested different sling setups on the field because before the new handguard I did not have any other place to place it or a gun that did not have options for changing it. So I am eager to learn what the dynamics are to make the best out of what I got.

Do you have thoughts on things like:
    -rifle balance between different standard mounting points
    -rear sling point in the buttstock, is there any reason to do otherwise?
    -does anybody switch between multiple mounting points, like the receiver extension?
    -I also have to use tripod, so buttstock mount is the preferable choice, but interested to hear your thoughts.
    -How wide apart do you have the rifle sling mounting points?
    -as wider = possibly more stable, less movement whereas narrow positions let you get near the balance point but at what price?

The old place at the end of 9" handguard was not bad, though I think with bipod and suppressor attached it made the rifle a bit too front heavy. While walking, I had to even it out every once in a while from going too vertical as it started to hit my left thigh, which becomes annyoing quite fast.

Can you tell me how you have setup your rifle sling and maybe photos of the setup?

Here is a photo how the current and old sling setups are, sling mounting position are marked with a red dot below it.
    9in vs 13in sling mount points.jpg

if it's good enough for him it should work great for you if you could just pull the look off
    1691754881137.png

lol

I'm right handed so I run the rear of the sling attached to the outboard side of the stock. The front is generally attached towards the front of the rail but not all the way out. How far out is up to personal preference and what accessories are attached to the rifle that might be hindered by the sling.

Adjustment wise, the sling is such that all the way cinched down I can still get into a shooting position and it's helping pull the gun back into my shoulder. Then, with all the slack out I can still transition from right to left shoulder. For me, this strikes a good balance at making the sling useful as a shooting aid and keeping it secure when tightened.

I don't use mounting points at the rear of the receiver or on the inboard side of the stock. Generally speaking the closer together the mounting points are the less stable the rifle is when cinched. By that the I mean the rifle is able to flop around more during movement but it makes the rifle easier to manipulate in "dynamic" environments. Personally, I want to avoid a situation where the sling could end up between my cheek and the stock when I'm shooting so I run the sling mounts as far apart as I'm comfortable doing.

Sling set up is a case by case thing and takes some trial and error.

Same ^

I’ve tried lots of different things but always end up as close to end of rail as possible, and rear outboard side of stock.

Neomag Sentry Strap was a game changer for me regarding storage and transportation.

Reactions: Near miss and BCP
    Majority of the time I run mine at the end of stock and at the end of rail. But I do keep an open quick connect at the beginning of the rail, just in case I need more movement.

Reactions: Near miss
    I use a Viking Tactics Quick Adjust sling attached to the end of the hand guard and receiver plate (MR223 as well). For me that seemed like the best solution. Easy to pull it tight on your body and very easy to give it some slack or some more tension for stabilising.

The previous way of slinging from the HK slim stock was very good, I never even realized until now how good it was. The new B5 stock does have the problem of getting the sling under the cheek.

I just came back from testing it for roughly 4 hours and overall it did well. Only problem was the b5 stock getting the sling under my cheek, not sure if I keep it or not. It sure balances the rifle better.

It seems the longer handguard mounting point had no problems. I did have to buy a new sling as the old one was too short.

Are you looping it around the stock like in your picture above? If you are, instead of that, try routing the sling from the right to the left (for a right handed shooter) through the slot and using one of the tri glides as a stop so it can't pull back through. This will keep the sling routed around your body and won't let it get between the stock and your cheek.

20230812_124908.jpg
    20230812_124853.jpg

I noticed that the scope mount on your MR223 is bridging the handguard. If that's the way you run, I wouldn't attach a sling to the handguard at all.
    I like the sling attachment points at 3:00 on the RH side, with the front as close to the receiver as possible.