• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scoped M-14 Question!

seagiant

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Hi,
I've shot my whole life but most was with iron sites. I'm now getting older and I want to use a scope on my M-14. I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3X9X40 Z-plex recticle scope. My original intentions was to just sight in at 200 yds and use it as is for everything,but after seeing the nice turrents and how easy it is to use I'd like to learn how to be able to come up on the elevation for different ranges. My M-14 is a FA built Polytech with all GI parts and has a nice HR chrome barrel. This is in a Archangel stock with ARMS#18 base and #22 rings. This stock has adjustable cheek piece so the check weld is no problem and the rifle shoots very well.

As my rifle range only goes out to 200 meters if I zeroed at 100 meters and then went to the 200 meter range and observed the drop of the bullet,could I use that info to make up a ballistic chart to get me out to 800 meters effectively? Thanks for any help on this!

Re: Scoped M-14 Question!

Hello,
I think most will agree that you have a good idea, but the only accurate range card you can get is from shooting you rifle, your ammo by you. Anything else is just a guess, some guesses are better than others. Also, temp and other factors will effect drops.
I have an 800 yard range at my back door and 1000 yd range on the farms and I still need to re cal drop charts or make somewhat informed guesses from diff temps. For my culling rifles that I shoot live game with at and beyond 1000, I have charts I've made up with temp and density altitude in them. You will also need to deal with spin drift a little past 600 and quite a little past 800. All in all, there is no easy fix IMO. Good luck.

I use this software.
http://stevespages.com/exe/al_bal_setup.exe

Download, and load.
It is benign software that will not mess with your computer.

Turret scopes are the only optics to consider if you want to shoot at longer distances.

If money is an issue, the Nikon 223 scope may be made to work.
Or a used mk-4 can be bought for not a lot.

If you are observing the consistent need for windage with changes in elevation out to around 1000 y, that's called a canted retical.

Buy a quality scope, test it, and this will not likely be an issue.

Hi Gentlemen,
Thanks for the help! Yes,I'd love a Leppy Mk4 but I bought the Zeiss because I didn't have much money and I like things made by the Master Race! Just thought I would ask for ideas using this scope to the best of it's and my capabilities! Thanks again!