• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scoped M48A YouTube video - Range test Imr4350 195/196 gr

rdamours

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2022
Canada
Just starting out with my scoped M48A and IMR 4350. Let me know if you’ve got loads you’d like me try try out that work well for you. Like and subscribe if you’re bored :)

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I've loaded 196 projectiles at the low or mid-range of recommended charge weights using Varget. I have not loaded maximum recommended charge weights. On the chronograph, shooting my M24/47 Mauser, a muzzle velocity of 2,020 fps gave me the best accuracy with 196g projectiles. This is a target load, which I haven't shot beyond 100 yards. 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards with iron sights was the norm.

Yugoslavian 196g surplus ammunition was reasonably accurate at 200 yards. It chronographed at 2,377 fps out of my M24/47 and I do not have chronograph data for the M48A. 200-yard groups of 4" or slightly less using either rifle with iron sights was the norm. It's corrosive ammunition, so you want to clean the barrel the same day you shoot Yugo ammo.

I've collected a considerable amount of chronograph data with several Mausers over the years. Even the same model rifles produce significantly different muzzle velocities using the same loads. I suspect bore diameters were not consistent from one rifle to the next.

Last edited:
I’ll test out my next batch at the 53-54 gr range and retest the lower end. Just looking for the best group sizes so we’ll see but it looks like the low end and high end are going to produce some good groups. Once I’m done we are going to load up a couple of hundred each and move on to the next rifle and load up in bulk.

We reloaded some in the 53-53.5 range. I’ll post my next range trip but we will have another quick video of resizing 30-06 to 8mm brass. The resized die is one if the best things we bought last year getting started with 8mm. One you are setup it’s 30 sec per round of less

We also picked up 2 more pounds of imr 4350 at Cabelas. Add yourself to a list of sites for notification.

I have a cut off die to convert 30-06 brass into 8mm Mauser brass and it's one of the best reloading investments I've ever made. I can take Lake City Match brass and convert it into very good brass for 8mm loads. It's worked better than any commercial brass I've used to date.

I have a cut off die to convert 30-06 brass into 8mm Mauser brass and it's one of the best reloading investments I've ever made. I can take Lake City Match brass and convert it into very good brass for 8mm loads. It's worked better than any commercial brass I've used to date.
I just posted a quick video on my YouTube channel if it :). It made reloading this calibre cheaper for sure

4350 is too slow for the 8mm. varget, any of the 4895 powders, or rl15, 4064 work the best. And remember this, data out there is for low psi so in case it is stuck into a 0.318" bore pre 98 series of rifle.

Shoot the European ammo and you will see the difference. Shoot the Turk ammo to see the original load.

Turkish 8mm ammunition is really hot. It will make you appreciate recoil.

4350 is too slow for the 8mm. varget, any of the 4895 powders, or rl15, 4064 work the best. And remember this, data out there is for low psi so in case it is stuck into a 0.318" bore pre 98 series of rifle.

Shoot the European ammo and you will see the difference. Shoot the Turk ammo to see the original load.
I’m reloading for the European full power cip standard. I’m at 2600 fps with the 196 gr stuff. It’s a .323 bore in my M48A. I should have a great grouping on my next range trip and should be in the 2500-2600 fps range. If not I may try the h4895 as I use it for just about everything else.

Just renewing my range membership so my card will open the gate at the range :)