• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scopes: MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL

JLM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2008
WY
I'm in the market for a new tube.

What are the pro's and con's of both systems? I allready read Lowlight's excellent article on the front page about MIL/MIL based scopes, but what about MOA/MOA based scopes?

No matter what I do I want to keep things consistent between the reticle and the knobs, so I can either dial and smile or hold off without doing a conversion of some type, like converting a MOA based drop table to mils for holding off on the target.

So, thoughts?

Re: Scopes: MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL

100% personal preference. You are the one who has to use it. Whatever system you feel is second nature to you. You need to be able to make adjustments without having to think or calculate too much.
YMMV, Rob

For complete simplicity use IPHY.

(height in inches / number of stadia) * 100 = range in yards

Get knobs to match and get a ballistics program that will spit out your numbers in what ever you decide.

Calibrate your scope so that you are sure it's doing what it's supposed to be doing and go shoot it.

Cheeers,

Doc

Depends on what you are going to use it for and what system you learned to begin with.

MOA/MOA works well for US static range comps.

But for more serious work: Mil/Mil. Because that way you have the same reticle that your spotter, team mate, or others on course have, plus you can hold or dial without the extra math.

For elevation it's probably a wash, but do you hold or dial your wind? I could never get used to holding MOA wind with an MOA reticle.

I just switched to MIL MIL and the one downside I have found is that many people I shoot with have swithced to MOA MOA and now we speak different languages. It tough to have a quick conversation about what corrections they are making and apply it to my rig.

I like Mil Mil because it seems more efficient and the decimal based math is just easier.

Thank you gentlemen!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For complete simplicity use IPHY.

(height in inches / number of stadia) * 100 = range in yards</div></div>

Best system I have found as well.
The SN-3 w/a MDMOA (1 IPHY)retical an 1/2 IPHY EREK, an M40 wind in 1/2 as well, is hard to beat. The more I use it the more I like it over anything else I have tried. Most all field data that I have list weapons, signs, tires, rims, doors, windows, ect in inch's. It just makes sense for me, to go that way. Plus the hold off's are very easy as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For complete simplicity use IPHY.

The SN-3 w/a MDMOA (1 IPHY)retical an 1/2 IPHY EREK, an M40 wind in 1/2 as well, is hard to beat. The more I use it the more I like it over anything else I have tried. Most all field data that I have list weapons, signs, tires, rims, doors, windows, ect in inch's. It just makes sense for me, to go that way. Plus the hold off's are very easy as well. </div></div>

I bleed IPHY as well.

IPHY is my new prefrence. I've even gotten good at multiplying moa times 1.05 to convert from my favorite, cheapest pda program.

I'm now in the FFP or fixed, IPHY camp, and trying to get all my rifles converted slowly......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For complete simplicity use IPHY.

The SN-3 w/a MDMOA (1 IPHY)retical an 1/2 IPHY EREK, an M40 wind in 1/2 as well, is hard to beat. The more I use it the more I like it over anything else I have tried.</div></div>

So where can read more about this system? I've been using the Search feature and reading though a lot of the threads on the FFP vs SFP debates and Mil/Mil vs MOA/MOA. I decided on the Falcon 4x14 FFP Mil/Mil as my first scope. Thanks.

Everything is on the US Optics web site
http://www.usoptics.com/

US Optics, is the only ones I know of, that have the system at this point in time. It is the most user friendly system I've ever use. All field data that I have is either in inchs, feet or yards when it come to ranging enemy equipment or related items, with a retical.

Both SN-3's I own, have the MDMOA reticals and my first time ranging anything with a IPHY retical was a dinger at 1K yds, I called it 44.5" with the 22X I was useing, it was infact 45", close enough for me an a 300wm.

ASM1 (Frankie) has a range and with the 17x on a .308 he stopped in the middle of a road and had me range a plate that was 18" wide back in the shadows, I called it the same range as his range finder did. I did not believe I hit it 100% so I hit it with my Leica, all three items said the same thing, 676 yds, if memory serves.

The US Optics IPHY is easy, if I can get that close with it, anybody can. I'll never go back to anything else without kicking an screaming.

It doesn't matter what system you using, it is you and how proficient you are. Just stick to what you got and practice.A pro po Frankie,I hope he has 1000 kids, we need more people like him.