• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scopes NOT for a 50 BMG

XMC

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2009
New Ulm, Texas
I'd like to see replies for shooters that have had a scope fail on a 50 BMG rifle. I know the Night Force and Leupold have good ratings but has anyone had quick failures on any scopes or even unexpected surprises that didn't fail?

Re: Scopes NOT for a 50 BMG

A friend of mine has a Swarowski failed on his Styer. Don't know if it was a torque issue on the rings or what

We have a scope that is made by Falcon on a Steyer 50 right now. I have some doubts, but will report back once we put some rounds down range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a countersniper, it is what the government uses</div></div>

Not again....:(

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a countersniper, it is what the government uses</div></div>

Not again....:( </div></div>

Surely that was a joke.........
wink.gif

The cheap little Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40 never failed me on my Barrett. It came with the rifle as part of a package Barrett used to offer. I probably ran 400-500 rounds without ANY problems.

My brother broke an Ultimate Illuminator... Twice... on his .50.

i have a SS 20X on my Serbu and had to loctite the turret knobs on after they shoock loose. Since then I updated the muzzle break with Marks new design which works about a lot better. I need to change out the rings but other then that it works ok for a cheap scope.

Leupold 6.5x20x40 vari-x III. 16 rounds of ball ammo on a 28lbs. 50BMG rifle- sent it back to leupold same was fixed as good as new and still is in the box.

US Optics ST-17 also failed on another 50. Scope was replaced by USO.

I'm currently running 2 Nightforce NXS 5.5.x22x56 mil/mil on 2 different 50BMG systems with no issues.

FWIW: I have a 16X and a 20X SUPERSNIPER that have over 2000 rounds of 50BMG-NO problems. Amazing scopes for $300.

We had a Serbu, McM repeater, M99 Barret, and M107 Barrett at the range today. Looks like 3 broken scopes as the M107 we were shooting with the irons. 100% scope failure across the following models:

- Lupy Mk 4 10X M3
- Super Sniper 10X M model
- B&L Elite 3200 10X

The Lupy failed within 200 rounds, the SS 80 rounds, and the 3200 8 rounds. We bore sighted the M99 with the 3200 at 600 yards, got it centered up, had 3 center shots on call, then it started throwing shots in about a 10 foot circle at 600 yards.

The SS will go back for sure as it is mine; not sure what will happen with the other two. A USO ST-10 will go on the McMillan next to replace the SS.

A friend had the SS 10X rear focus model fail on his Ferrett at 36 rounds. The warranty replacement scope so far has been solid.

I thought I might get some interesting results by asking what has not worked. Even though it appears some scopes work fine all lines have some failures. It looks like if I want a scope that will still be working in the event no one is available for warranty repairs my best bet is to go with the Night Force.

I ruined a sightron SI 3X9 mildot on an AR-50 in 10 rounds. I had this scope mounted on my AR-15, and when I got my 50 I just had to shoot it. I swapped it over and after shooting 10 times, when I went to switch back the scope sounded like a rattle. I sent it back and they fixed it for free, now its on a .22

3 failed scopes sounds in a row like a rear ring issue. If it's too tight it will not group or track. Leupold is the only scope tested to 750g for 5000 cycles as a minimum specification without losing zero or influencing tracking ability. Every scope.

What rings are you using and how tight are you tightening them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a countersniper, it is what the government uses</div></div>

Not again....:( </div></div>

Surely that was a joke.........
wink.gif
</div></div>

sorry, should have used the sarcasm font...