• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scopes with only 45 MOA adjustments

skytrooper67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2023
WNY
Leupold VX 3HD 6.5x20x40MM EFR scope has only 45 MOA adjustments. That only gives you 22.5" MOA U/D L/R. I dont see the reason for this. Their other scopes have 70+ MOA adjustments. Whats the point of such limited MOA adjustments? Is it bad for a scope to be adjusted at its lower limits? Doesnt want to hold zero. Rob

Scopes with smaller main tubes have less adjustment ranges than scopes with larger main tubes. There is nothing wrong with scopes with less adjustment range when used within their ability. If you need more adjustment you're going to need a scope with a larger main tube. There are also other options to gain additional adjustment range by using angled bases. These types of bases are often necessary if your intent is to shoot long ranges.

I have aVX III 3.5x10x40MM with a 1" main tube. It has 70 MOA of adjustments. No problem with zero.

Magnification eats up adjustment range somehow. For example, we once had a 12x42 nightforce NXS. If I remember correctly it only had 45 moa of internal, whereas the 5.5x22 NXS have like 100 moa internal. Both were 30mm tubes. There is no free lunch in optics.

As for being a youngster I'm not. I have sons your age I bet. Great G daughter in 5 grade. Yup, its my fault for not doing more research on this scope. Didnt realize it had only 45MOA of travel. Been using 3.5x10x40 scopes for years. All have app 70 MOA travel plus. No problems with travel. Just got a case of "new scope-idis". Thought more power would help these old eyes see whistlepigs better at 400yds. I understand perfectly about 20 & 30MOA bases. Just wondered if its ok to have the scope set at the end of its travel. Not worth the hassle with this scope. Think I'll just sell it and go back to one of my old 3.5x10x40's. I better watch out for the EZ button I guess. LOL "we the people"