• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scoping 3 ARs

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
I am looking to put decent optics on three flat-top ARs
1. 16" 5.45x39
2. 20" 7.62x39 lightened H-bar
3. 20" 5.56 h-bar

For no. 1, I was looking at an eotech/holosight, or a low magnification scope, like the Mueller multishot with a mini red-dot like a Docters on the scope ring. It will be for coyotes or little stuff out in the country, and may double as a HD if it feeds and feels well enough. Also be the main plinker.

2. has a 4x com-block something scope with bullet drop. It will be a deer/pig gun, and I don't plan on going past 250 yards. Thinking less than 16 for top power, like the Mueller Tac, Tac2 or APT. I want to go bigger on power because I may use it for varmints when pigs may be around.

3. No idea. I have a Mueller Eradicator, but think that 8.5 would be too much. I bought it, and I don't really have a purpose for it, hence the don't know what to do with it.

I am overseas, and have a year, but I want to get #1 and #2 outfitted by the time I get back.

Re: Scoping 3 ARs

I have used several of the red dot's to me the eotech is by far the best. For short range and hd it is quick simple and very tough just push the button and your good to go. I use the eotech on a couple of my guns. The eotech is also an excellent choice for night vision if you ever want to get a night vision device. The eotech was built for the AR/M4 type guns it is hard to beat this combination. If the eotech dies you can use buis with out removing the eotech just look through it. I personally do not care for the eotech magnification units I sold the one I had.

For scopes on a AR/M4 the best thing I have found is the ACOG 4x32 with the cross hairs. The ACOG was built for the AR/M4. To me all the other scopes look like some type of after-thought. I shoot crows with my 4x32 the cross hairs work best for me.

I have used both EoTech and Aimpoint. I have the Eotech 552 and the AimPoint ML3 and prefer the Aimpoint for extended battery life. The virtue of the EoTech is the 1 MOA dot compared to the 2 MOA dot on the ML3. I have several ACOG's a TA01 on my M16 a NSN on my 6920 a TA 31F on my Sig 556 and a RCO M4 on my SCAR. I like the TA 31F the best. All are 4x.

I like low power variables for the AR platform. 1-4x to 1.5-5x are where they all seem to fall. There are tons of choices, many are very good.

Even on your 16" gun a low power variable would be a good choice if you're planning to shoot it much over 100yds. If not, an Eotech or Aimpoint would be a good choice.

The rifle in the pic looks like it's set up for IPSC 3-gun open class. If that's your intended use, there is plenty of information on optics set ups on the Brian Enos forums. M4 Carbine.net also has a lot of useful information on optics for AR-15's.

Put a good bit of thought to your AR optics' purchases before buying. Carefully consider the application or you'll waste a bunch of $ purchasing the wrong stuff.