• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scoping out scopes

MeridianNW

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2010
Sunny Central Oregon
Greetings fellow shooters,

I'm getting back into guns after way too long, doing life stuff like college, family, career, etc. Now that we're empty nesters, life is pleasantly changing to a little slower pace.

I'm an ex-land surveyor and have looked through a lot of transits and theodolites in my day (typically 20-40x). I also got into astronomy after taking a survey class on it, and I love my telescope.

I'm pretty interested in long range precision shooting too, but figured I better start with a good old assault rifle, just in case this country's leaders decide they should start thinking for us again and outlaw them. (Long live the Oath Keepers!)

I recently bought my first black rifle and I'm looking into optics choices. It's a Sig 556 and not at all a long gun or precision platform. I was off doing other things and so didn't know a thing about red dots, holographic, or reflex sights or illuminated reticles. But I'm familiar with telescopes and optics in general, and I've studied up on the 'new' technologies I missed by not being into shooting.

I mention all this because I'm demonstrating that I'm in to optics. I like telescopes, binoculars, monoculars, range finders, and technology in general. Now I realize that a carbine is basically made for engagements from about 200 meters and on in closer. So the best fit for the intended purpose is a red dot or low powered, variable power optic.

I'm also a researcher by nature and don't tend to buy on impulse. So as I was figuring out what my ultimate scope choice will be, I've gone from the Aimpoints and Eotechs to the 1-4x and am settling in on those. Then I discovered the Sniper's Hide! Lol...

What a great site this is! After spending some time here, and with my bias towards optics, I am now looking more at the scopes that go just a little bit higher in power to about 8x or 10x. And I do appreciate quality. I don't have the means to just go out and buy whatever I want but I'm a patient man and don't mind saving up for what I want.

So I've figured out that I'm probably able to budget about $1,200 to $1,800 on a scope. So now I'm beginning to think that if I do end up getting myself a precision rifle, I'll have a great scope but I'll be longing for just a little more magnification. I know I would be giving up lower power at the low end for a combat rifle, but I'm thinking that may be preferable to having not enough magnification for a 600m or 1000m shot.

I'll mostly be sport shooting, just paper and the occasional varmit, no low light hunting or actual sniping duty. So I know it's really just a 'driver's choice' type of question.

I'm really liking the USO, or a NF in the 2x-10x range or possibly an S&B. And I love browsing the scopes for sale here on the Hide, it's quite the candy store of quality scopes! So my question is, should I go for the perfect scope for my current rifle and stick with the lower magnification, or should I get the scope that could easily serve the precision long range purpose.

Do any of you care to share a little wisdom over getting too much or too little magnification; or perhaps settling for less quality in favor of less cash spent and less waiting, and learning a hard lesson that way?

Re: Scoping out scopes

Oops, just got to the part about how much you intend to spend.

Guess I'd better edit out everything in my post.

Well, you could add 50% to the budget, if that would make the questions more plausable. I can't speak for anyone else, but sometimes I do go over budget.

Admittedly that was my budget before crossing into the 10x and above. Especially if I end up with an S&B or USO, I'll likely be finding myself over $2k. I'll also be looking at used, fwiw.

But the threads with the <$1000 scopes are pretty interesting too.

MeridianNW,

IMO...It's hard to beat a NF 2.5-10 for most of your desires.

I have one on my AR carbine.It could be supplemented with a Doctor Optic style red dot sight for across the room engagements if desired.I never put a red dot on mine because on 2.5x I can still see head shots on IPSC targets 15' away.On 10X it's no problem shooting steel 600 yards away.It's a very versatile optic.

The new S$B 1-8 would be very desirable but at close to $3000 it's more than I'd want to spend on a scope for a AR.

I have a NF 1-4 also on a MSAR.It's great for up close and works OK at 200Y.I don't like using it at 300Y except on larger steels.I find myself wanting more magnification because I mostly shoot long range.I get bored quick shooting at closer distances,just me.

Steve

I have a NF 2.5-10 on one of my 16" barreled ARs, it works OK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MeridianNW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (Long live the Oath Keepers!)

</div></div>

Absolutely.