• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Score at a yard sale!

Suasponte

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Stopped at a yard sale with the wife this morning! When out of the corner of my eye I spot some boxes of ammo. There was a bunch of 22 that I grabed for $5/box (Remmy gold Box) and then the big one!!

There was a flat rate box with the Lapua boxes in it! 25 total boxes. The one on top was open and the rest was sealed.
I asked the gentelmen what he wanted for all of it. $40.00!

He said he had more and if I wanted it he would get it out later this evening and call me! He thought he had a full 1000 rounds of it. I got 500.

Lapua Match with 185gr bullets. Still all sealed up.

Hell I was happy if it was just the brass!

lapua1.jpg

lapua2.jpg

lapua3.jpg

I am thinking this is from the early 80's. Does anyone know what time frame this packaging is from.

Terry

Re: Score at a yard sale!

Score hell, more like highway robbery. Congrats on the find!
Why can't I ever stumble across a deal of the century?
cry.gif

Hell for that price I would have bought it and I don't even own a 308W anymore. Great find!!

Congrats,
Just for that I am going o every swap meet, yard sale I find.
When will you be haveing a reloading yard sale.
smile.gif

I hate posts like this. It is just bragadocious and rude. I want to puke.I hate you. Oh yeah, and going yard sailing with your wife....you make me sick.
sarcasm off
smile.gif

25 boxes for $40. Are you kidding me. What a grab, if for nothing other than the brass.

Im going to get married and go to yard sales!!

Another thought: You should be able to contact Lapua and run the Lot number for the date of production.

Yard sales can be a gold mine occasionally. Nice score
cool.gif

I picked up 160 rounds of M118LR, still sealed and all the same lot#, a while back from an older fella having a yard sale a few months back. He wanted $5/box or $20 for the whole lot.

I would say late 80's early 90's. I think i had some of that back in 93. Good find brother. Working class folks need a brake once in a while! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry, but you suck.</div></div>

+1

The genetlemen called me back last night! I went back over to his home and picked up what he had left. He also had approx 200 empty brass which apprears to be 1/2 Winchester and 1/2 Lapua.

Ended up out on his back porch and shot the shit for 3-4 hours with him. He said that he purhcased 5000 rounds of it at Camp Perry in the mid 80's.

lapua5.jpg

lapua4.jpg

Terry

1891765x53mmMauserandArisakatype9977mmwithmovesansbreechcover200for2privatesale6-30-2011.jpg

I got these two old rifles 6:30 a.m. Thursday 2/$200.

When someone got a deal, on rec.crafts.metalworking, they would start a post with the word "gloat" in the title.

The highest compliment one can post in reaction to a gloat thread is "I hate you."

Oh, and uh, suasponte, as a consumer of Lapua brass, I hate you.

Is that a Jap rifle on the bottom! and what is that on the top!

The guy I got the brass off of has several rifles that he is taking about parting with. Will be back over to see him when he is ready.

Terry

Contact Lapua,

They might want a box of that for the museum.

I would hold on to at least 2 boxes for photos and collector value.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a Jap rifle on the bottom! and what is that on the top!</div></div>

That is a WW2 Jap Type 99 Arisaka, 7.7x58mm rifle, you can see the hardware on the stock where it's monopod attached. They folded up to the front along the handguard. Likely it also has the anti-aircraft rear sight too with the "wings" that fold out on both sides to provide "lead". Has it a ground crest on the receiver or is the "Mum" present ?

The top one looks to be a Model 1891 Argentine Mauser, 7.65x53. Those are nearly always foud with the crest ground off the receiver... I have one that's in equally nice shape except for removal of the crest on the receiver and stock. Both are very nice snags...

It has the mum.

It took me a while with a book to find out half of what you seem to already know about those rifles.

Shit. I never get lucky, unless you consider that I found a complete, sealed 1990 Topps Desert Shield/Storm set at a yard sale...for $20...jabroni didn't know what he had..good luck piecing one of those together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has the mum.

It took me a while with a book to find out half of what you seem to already know about those rifles. </div></div>

blush.gif
.... It looks like the Arisaka is missing it's dust cover as well. Several things make me think this is a real battlefield pick-up.

Japanese soldiers, when they became veterans aka "salty" did two things almost immediately to their rifles. First they removed that damn dust cover because it rattled like hell and could cause a jam, next they removed the monopod. The fact that the Mum is intact is the most important badge of authenticity. Virtually all the rifles surrendered at the end of the War had the crest ground off... battle field pick-ups did not.

Great history in those rifles...

Very lucky find, only thing I ever see going by them are old moomoos and tye dye peace sign shirts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry, but you suck.</div></div>

+1 </div></div>

++1.