• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scotch Drinkers

texastonk

Actual
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2010
    Hen House,Texas
    I found I like Glenlivet 12. It's the best scotch I've had to date which is not very many. I tried JW Red, Black and Blue and the blue was the best but not the flavor I'm looking for and not in my go to price range. I had a few glasses of JW 18 year this past weekend and it was good, but I still like the Glenlivet better.
    I like the Earthy, mossy, taste of the 12. Am I alone in this? I'm looking to try other brands that have the same tasting notes. Looking for a bottle for nightly to weekend pours that run around $100 but would be willing to spend more for the right bottle.
    Thanks

I have tried many single malts over the years, this one is my favorite now:
    glenfiddich_21_reloading.jpg

I found I like Glenlivet 12. It's the best scotch I've had to date which is not very many. I tried JW Red, Black and Blue and the blue was the best but not the flavor I'm looking for and not in my go to price range. I had a few glasses of JW 18 year this past weekend and it was good, but I still like the Glenlivet better.
    I like the Earthy, mossy, taste of the 12. Am I alone in this? I'm looking to try other brands that have the same tasting notes. Looking for a bottle for nightly to weekend pours that run around $100 but would be willing to spend more for the right bottle.
    Thanks
    Glenlivet 12 is my go to. But a couple of times a year I get Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 15. It’s around $90/bottle and I like it much more than some scotch’s 2 or 3x that price. It is incredibly smooth, but you will just have to try some bottles see what you like. A few years ago I paid $180 for a glass of Balvenie 40 year ($6k/bottle) and it tasted like $20 Kentucky Deluxe to me, so you never know.

Glenlivet 12 is my go to. But a couple of times a year I get Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 15. It’s around $90/bottle and I like it much more than some scotch’s 2 or 3x that price. It is incredibly smooth, but you will just have to try some bottles see what you like. A few years ago I paid $180 for a glass of Balvenie 40 year ($6k/bottle) and it tasted like $20 Kentucky Deluxe to me, so you never know.
    I have seen this and a few of the 1824 reserves but have not tasted. I will give the 15 French Oak a try. Thanks

Reactions: CA48
    You guys make up the flavors in a failed effort to impress each other. I'm curious as to how you know what, swamp dirt/peat, shoe leather, charred wood and ball sack tastes like. How they made a shitty mouth wash mimic those is also confounding.

Then they let this alcoholic toilet water age in an old garbage can for a few years and sell it to idiots. There is no proof any of it was "aged" longer than the time it took the truck to get it to Costco.

I'm a doubter on this hobby.

McCallan Estate is my favorite, or one of them. Spay area has the flavor profiles that i like the best followed by Islay...yes big difference but it depends on what i want on a given evening.

Reactions: texastonk
    While this is not anything I'm interested in, I'm not a drinker by any means. I was in the British Isles last spring and we spent an afternoon here. I bought my buddy a nice bottle of one of own creations. He said it was decent.

You described that you liked the peaty and mossy flavors. If that's what you are looking for, then try a bottle from the Island of Islay. My benchmark for this island is a Laphroiag 10 yr old. Telling you now though. Peat and smoke are at the forefront of these scotches.

You described that you liked the peaty and mossy flavors. If that's what you are looking for, then try a bottle from the Island of Islay. My benchmark for this island is a Laphroiag 10 yr old. Telling you now though. Peat and smoke are at the forefront of these scotches.
    If I had to pick a favorite distillery, Laphroaig would probably be it. Lore is my current go-to and I have a bottle of cask strength elements 1.0 I’ll likely crack next. Who knew vulcanized rubber, sea water, iodine and soot could be so delicious. :)

I was thinking Linkwood 14 based on the OP. Definitely a bit more tame and “mossy” without the laphroaig peat.

You guys make up the flavors in a failed effort to impress each other. I'm curious as to how you know what, swamp dirt/peat, shoe leather, charred wood and ball sack tastes like. How they made a shitty mouth wash mimic those is also confounding.

Then they let this alcoholic toilet water age in an old garbage can for a few years and sell it to idiots. There is no proof any of it was "aged" longer than the time it took the truck to get it to Costco.

It’s like an autostereogram.

Autostereogram - Wikipedia

Once you figure out how to look past the alcohol it’ll all start to make sense. You kind of get it or you don’t.

I have no fuckin clue what’s in this picture, but I can pick apart scotch pretty well.

At the end of each summer, ten Marines get together and drink a bottle of MacCallan 18 year Double Cask, only Scotch I drink, prefer 100 Proof Rye, MacCallan 18yr. is sure a good drink. Going to Scotland next year and will try as much brands as I can.

That's the first time in decades I've looked at one of those images.
    It's a lot harder to "see" with glasses.

Scotch is not my forte . Having said that , my wife is quite learned in the complexities of it . Peat , Rope , Barrel and water . She speaks a language unknown to me about it .

She bought some Ardbeg and wow . Smoke , Peat and smooth as silk sheets . Could've sipped that shit for Eons.

She drinks her's two fingers , neat .

I was told by a wine drinking connoisseur that to detect all the small nuances that one has to develop a sophisticated pallet. 😂

Scotch is not my forte . Having said that , my wife is quite learned in the complexities of it . Peat , Rope , Barrel and water . She speaks a language unknown to me about it .

She bought some Ardbeg and wow . Smoke , Peat and smooth as silk sheets . Could've sipped that shit for Eons.

She drinks her's two fingers , neat .
    My wife had bought for me a special issue of a magazine that was all about scotch. The five regions. The fact that it can only be scotch whiskey if aged in Scotland. Anywhere else, it is just whiskey.

Many distilleries in Scotland buy their aging barrels from bourbon makers in Kentucky. The barrels are disassembled and shipped to Scotland and then a cooper (maker of barrels) puts it together for the aging process. My favorite was Glenfiddich Special Reserve 12 year.

What had happened was, when we went to New Jersey to see her daughter get married (she gave up her daughter for adoption in 1973, long story for another time,) the hotel where we stayed had a bar in the basement. I got a double of Glenlivet. Which was good.

Sometime later back at home in Texas, she bought me a bottle of Glenfiddich. So, it was a happy accident of two scotches (there are plenty) that start with the name Glen. I would drink it neat, with a soda chaser.

These days, I drink blended whiskey that I like the taste of. But once in a while, I get a bottle of Glenfiddich. Because I am special. "I'm smart enough, I'm good enough. And, doggone it, people like me."

Glenmorangie lasanta is my go to.

I have 5 bottles of that currently. Just in case.

Glenlivet 15 in there also, and a Lagavulin 16.

I'd take Oban 14 over Lagavulin any day of the week. Cleaner taste, less peat. There is a limit at the amount that I want to chew on moss...

I have about 15 bottles of bourbon in the cabinet. Scotch is a thing you need to be in the correct mood for.

I typically prefer islay and highlands whiskys to the other 3 regions, Talisker's offerings generally being my favorites, though truth be told, I would be hard pressed to name a scotch I wouldn't drink. Dewar's white label, a pretty mild blended whisky, is my after work tipple, and if I want another after that, I typically lean towards Talisker, Oban, or Laphroaig. The various "Glen's" command respect though, and the trend towards very small batch offerings, even single cask releases, often with funny names, suits me just fine.

Talisker's 10 year, and Oban's 12 year are both lovely, and are fit for any purpose you would press a whisky into.

I'd rather eat scotch tape than drink that burned pond moss swill. Your analogy was on the money!!😂

Keep a bottle of Lagavulin & Oban on the shelf, my go-to’s and gives me some variety; a good Isley(smoke & peaty) & a good west highland (hint of salt)
    …….there‘s 20 other bottles I’d like to keep around too though lol!

What I drink when I drink scotch. My neighbor/friend got me into this specific Scotch.

Precisely. I'm primarily Bourbon ("Woodford Reserve"), m'self, but this is my choice for Scotch. In fact, I prefer it over Johnnie Walker Blue (I have a small 200ml bottle of that. Wouldn't pay more for larger bottles - besides, it's a blend, I discovered. Way over hyped). And, certainly not for the other lower Johnnie Walker levels (I have some "black label" as well).

Reactions: kthomas
    Favorites-

Aberlour A'Bunadh
    Glendronach 15 Revival
    Oban 14
    Clynelish 14
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben and
    JW Blue,Gold, and Platinum

Ones I tried but didn't really care for-

Edradour 10
    Auchebtoshen 12
    Glenlivet 12
    JW Everything else

New bottles coming Christmas-

Oban Distiller's edition
    Balvenie 12 Double wood

Lagavulin 16 is my preference. I'm always surprised at how sweet it is.

I've got a bottle of blue in the closet. It's a great blended scotch, but not worth the price. The bottle is pretty nice though.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
    I have also found that I prefer scotch whiskey to irish whiskey, as a generality, though I have had some good irish stuff.

Right now, I drink TX Whiskey, made in Fort Worth, Texas. Kinda sweet, like me.

Laphroaig 10 year old.

I like to take 3 ice cubes and pour 3 fingers deep. Let the ice melt about 5 minutes, give it a swirl. That little bit of water tames it a little but not too much.

I picked this up this morning. Seen several others at the store that were recommended here. Prices were quite a bit above what I read on line. Don’t mind paying what they are worth but I always try to not over pay.
    For example my go to GL 12 was $77. I’ve never paid more than $50.
    This one was however $60 as seen here and in my online searches.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I will follow up later on my thoughts.
    Merry Christmas
    IMG_6043.jpeg

I show Glenlivet 12 (750 mg) at $48.99 at Totalwine. I know it is more expensive at smaller retailers and some geographical differences but $77 seems excessive.

Oban 14 and Balvenine dw are 2 of my favorite scotches and are probally the most new Scoth friendly.

If I could only drink one whiskey for the rest of my life that wasn't named jack Daniel's
    ...it would be oban14.

My son got me this for christmas, going to save it for retirement. I think it will be perfect.

Generally I am a bourbon person, but I will give this a go.

View attachment 8302288

My all-time favorite, got it as a gift from an exec we were doing a deal with and I absolutely loved it. Now I get it all the time.