• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scott Parker Beam Scale or high end digital balance

viva la figa

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
Looking into sending my Redding beam scale off to Scott Parker or just shelling out $600 for a FX 120i or a Sartorius BP310S. I am doing long range reloading as most of you are and I am trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. I am quickly spiraling down the rabbit hole that this chasing accuracy game has begun.

Since I am fairly new to all this what are the pros and cons of the Beam scale vs the digital balance.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have both a scott parker tuned scale and a sartorius 503. The 503 is my main scale that i love uesing but you never know when the power goes out or the SHTF scenario that could happen in this country.Plus the Scott Parker scale is EMP proof. Get both but i would go with fx 120 to save a little cash and buy a omega trickier too.

I am trying to decide on which ONE to get. Believe me I want both, the wife wants me to choose just one....so we agreed to compromise......and I have to choose just one!

I would get the FX 120i. I have one. Believe me once you get one you will be very pleased. The advantages to me far out weigh the cost compared to a beam scale. It is very fast and repeatable. Just the speed factor alone is a big plus. No waiting for the beam scale to settle down. Extremely accurate and and direct read out. Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:
IMO, beam balances are only useful if you have a check weight of the exact charge weight. A good electronic balance is worth the money. Always a good idea to to keep a beam around though, just in case the electronic craps out/starts acting weird. You can use the electronic balance to make specific check weights for the beam.

Fx120i. It is so much less stressful than beam scale. No fretting on a kernel here and there. Fx120i is where it's at hands down.

Fx120i. It is so much less stressful than beam scale. No fretting on a kernel here and there. Fx120i is where it's at hands down.

Sorry, this makes no sense. A kernel less or more still affects both scales. Enlighten me here if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the info guys....Keen to hear from anyone who has used a Scott Parker tuned scale regularly and went back to their 120i......?

Leaning towards getting a Sartorius BP310S....anyone use one of these? I can get a decent deal on one.

I had this same issue and decided to try the Parker scale first since it saved me $500. To be clear, I've never used an FX or Satorius, but I can tell you my Parker weighs to the kernel! I use a charge master to dispense then trickle up on the Parker scale.
I have been successful with single digit SD's with all my loading of .260, .308, 300wm and 6.5cm.

I tend to simplify shit, but do you still run a flip phone? Same principle. Not saying to get rid of the beam, still have my 10-10 from 1996.

Last edited:
Couldn't say a word about those new e scales. But I had 3 older e scales that were POS's. Too the point that I lost total confidence and I had to replace the cylinder on my L frame 7 shot 357 revolver.

So I went SP tuned beam and never looked back. It's fast enough and accurate enough for me.

I have one of his tuned scales, an Ohaus 10-10. I used it for a few matches worth of ammo and went back to my GemPro. It took somes tips from other GemPro users to get to where I no longer wanted to smash it, but now I can run it without too many issues. Eventually I will upgrade to a better digital but at the end of the day I prefer the absoluteness of digital to analog.

Thanks for the info guys....Keen to hear from anyone who has used a Scott Parker tuned scale regularly and went back to their 120i......?

i have both...FX120i with the auto trickler and also a little dandy trickler...i used the scott parker beam for about 7yrs and really like it...very accurate according to the 120i...i just got the FX120i,the auto trickler and the little dandy about a month ago and while i really like the 120i and the auto trickler i will say that the auto trickler takes some adjusting to get it to drop charges within a few kernels +or- of the target weight....i use the auto trickler but IMHO the dandy is a bit faster/easier because i dont get over or under charges.

with all that said other than time saved at the bench the 120i did not do much to improve my loads as i was able to get into the single digit ESs with the SP beam in a 260rem and a 6mm creed....personally id say save the money and go with the SP beam and a dandy trickler unless your looking to shave off some time at the loading bench then id say go with the 120 and the auto trickler and/or the dandy.

I feel like I'm alone here but don't any of you guys ever go "instinctive"?

Screw the tricklers, seriously. I gave mine away years ago. Using the SP beam coupled with a Harrel's thrower and a separate small container - I throw .2-3 grain less into the pan, then put it on the scale, then grab a pinch of powder while the beam settles some (doesn't need to settle all the way), at which time I can see how much powder needs unpinching (letting kernels drop as I watch the needle) , rarely going over weight. After a bit your body and mind knows how much powder to let go of and likewise you know where the pointer will "end up"/instictive in both ways. It's fast!

If I do go over it's only a kernel or two. With more than half my rifles I don't concern myself. For the awesome rifles I can feel one or two kernels which are likewise grabbed out of the pan on the way to the funnel.

Screw the tricklers, seriously. I gave mine away years ago. Using the SP beam coupled with a Harrel's thrower and a separate small container - I throw .2-3 grain less into the pan, then put it on the scale, then grab a pinch of powder while the beam settles some (doesn't need to settle all the way), at which time I can see how much powder needs unpinching (letting kernels drop as I watch the needle) , rarely going over weight. After a bit your body and mind knows how much powder to let go of and likewise you know where the pointer will "end up"/instictive in both ways. It's fast!

If I do go over it's only a kernel or two. With more than half my rifles I don't concern myself. For the awesome rifles I can feel one or two kernels which are likewise grabbed out of the pan on the way to the funnel.

Lol, I'm taking the path of least resistance, whether 2-3 chargemasters, or one of these newer systems utilizing lab grade scales, no bending over or sitting so I can see the needle on a level plane.
I had one of the first auto tricklers to come off the line, even upgraded to newer model, feeding the scale was a giant pain in the ass, sold it, now we have the refined edition, still not my cup of tea.
Someone else looks like they are onto something good with the 2nd pic, no clue if or when it will be produced.

Attachments

• photo67794.jpg
    photo67794.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 40
  • photo67795.jpg
    photo67795.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: ItsMmmike

ive tried this...also just throwing and dumping(loading by volume)...my fingers are to fat and callused to really feel the kernels and after dumping a few loads all over the bench i gave up.
loading by volume didnt really work out for me either...out to 300yrds or so loading by volume seemed to do pretty well but past that is where things started going south because of the high-er ESs.

the dandy trickler works very well as it will drop a kernel at a time.

Lol, I'm taking the path of least resistance, whether 2-3 chargemasters, or one of these newer systems utilizing lab grade scales, no bending over or sitting so I can see the needle on a level plane.
I had one of the first auto tricklers to come off the line, even upgraded to newer model, feeding the scale was a giant pain in the ass, sold it, now we have the refined edition, still not my cup of tea.
Someone else looks like they are onto something good with the 2nd pic, no clue if or when it will be produced.

and i thought there was a lot going on with my set up LOL!!

That's getting pretty high tech! Almost makes want one, lol.

If I really felt the need I could go high tech too. I'm not totally against it, I just want perfect reliability and have it not cost a huge amount. One of those "more time than money" things. Actually if I wanted to enough I could sacrifice and afford to upgrade, like a Prometheus or something. It's just that I only load 50 to100 at a time. You know - just go out to the shop if I'm not up to something important.

Sitting in a comfy chair, I have my SP scale set up so it's even with my face and I'm looking through a large and lighted loupe. That's a key thing here is comfort.

I'm just surprised nobody else does it like I do because it works so well.

Sometimes I just throw powder in the cases but just for plinking ammo or for 3gun paper ammo, lighter loads with ball powder because it meters so well. I learned my lesson with temp sensitive powder if a guy wants to concentrate on first round hits at distance.

I hired my son once to reload for me, lol. That didn't work out like I thought.

That's getting pretty high tech! Almost makes want one, lol.

If I really felt the need I could go high tech too. I'm not totally against it, I just want perfect reliability and have it not cost a huge amount. One of those "more time than money" things. Actually if I wanted to enough I could sacrifice and afford to upgrade, like a Prometheus or something. It's just that I only load 50 to100 at a time. You know - just go out to the shop if I'm not up to something important.

Sitting in a comfy chair, I have my SP scale set up so it's even with my face and I'm looking through a large and lighted loupe. That's a key thing here is comfort.

I'm just surprised nobody else does it like I do because it works so well.

Sometimes I just throw powder in the cases but just for plinking ammo or for 3gun paper ammo, lighter loads with ball powder because it meters so well. I learned my lesson with temp sensitive powder if a guy wants to concentrate on first round hits at distance.

I hired my son once to reload for me, lol. That didn't work out like I thought.

You're right, more than one way to skin a cat. I get a somewhat irritated with the more money than brains crowd, if it costs more it has to be better. I rock stuff that works, for me.
Haha on the kid!
I let my Godson load a tray of 50 6.5x47, I was consumed, let him powder, then set him up to seat bullets for a following day outing, the ammo he made did not shoot great, I'm sure with overcharges and all, coupled with the fact he was fascinated by the micrometer adj on seater die, oh well. Next time I loaded some, it all came together after screwing the micro back down 70 thou.

I have both a scott parker tuned scale and a sartorius 503. The 503 is my main scale that i love uesing but you never know when the power goes out or the SHTF scenario that could happen in this country.Plus the Scott Parker scale is EMP proof. Get both but i would go with fx 120 to save a little cash and buy a omega trickier too.

We can't even have a discussion about scales without hearing about this stupid ass SHTF bullshit. You people sound like a bunch of dumb mother fuckers when you say that shit.

Onto the scales, I have a Scott Parker tuned scale and it's a nice scale but it's in the cabinet collecting dust. I went with two charge masters and they do a pretty good job of weighing what the screen shows. Mine overthrows .1 fairly often but I decided to just run it and see how they shoot. I can still get single digit SD's with them so it's good enough for me. I don't know if anything has changed but one thing to consider about the tuned scale is his turn around times. It was a pain in the ass to get mine and took a lot longer than what he quoted me. I would go with the lab grade scale if I did it all over again.

I still just shake my head at that comment. I don't think reloading with single digit SD's in mind is really a concern if something did happen to the country.

The comment was meant so you dont rely on all the cool digital electronic gadgets too much. That why I have a Scott Parker scale as my back up.

Eventually I will upgrade to a better digital but at the end of the day I prefer the absoluteness of digital to analog.

Both can work fine. Digital is great when it's working right but you have to be vigilant - check your zero regularly and calibrate every now and then. It's probably easier to screw up analog if you're the klutz I become when I'm tired.

I like tube amps for guitar. Analog goodness!

Why not just get a Prometheus or a Gunderson and be done with it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Why not just get a Prometheus or a Gunderson and be done with it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Even better than that is to find your accuracy node and not worry about weighing powder to .001 grains. Good Lord some of you guys kill me with the scale talk. Having a lab scale that weighs to .001 grains is a waste of good money that could be spent on beer, bullets, powder or primers.

Hahaha damn.....you make a good point. Too bad I just threw down my cc number not 15 min before reading this. Oh well I now have a super high end digital scale coming!

Hahaha damn.....you make a good point. Too bad I just threw down my cc number not 15 min before reading this. Oh well I now have a super high end digital scale coming!

Lol, you did nothing wrong there, it's nice to have an accurate scale around. I went with one of the first auto trickler systems, feeding it was not for me, it just sat there while I continued using 2 chargemasters. If I ever thought something was awry, the 120i was right there to verify, I ended up selling it but can envision one sitting on my bench again.

Unless you are an absolutely world class caliber shooter spending much more money to upgrade from the tuned beam will not do squat for you. It is easy to distinguish .03gr on my beam; and yes the higher end digitals have better resolution, but in reality what good will it do for most cases? I use the beam for Fclass loads, and a Chargemaster for tac loads. Once the CM is tweaked and no vibration when charging it also is typically within .03. Charging with the beam is just as fast, but I can seat the bullet while the CM is working on another.

Looking into sending my Redding beam scale off to Scott Parker or just shelling out $600 for a FX 120i or a Sartorius BP310S. I am doing long range reloading as most of you are and I am trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. I am quickly spiraling down the rabbit hole that this chasing accuracy game has begun.

Since I am fairly new to all this what are the pros and cons of the Beam scale vs the digital balance.

Thanks

I've had an FX300i (same as the 120 except larger capacity) and I love it. I got the 300 because it was only $40 more than the 120 at the time and you never know when you might have to weigh a charge for a Howitzer (or anything up to 320 grams). I can weigh extruded powders to within 1 granule, and it takes 1 second to update. Does not drift. Only issue I have is if I'm listening to music, I have to keep the volume down, otherwise it "bounces" up and down .02 grain. Maybe it's my reloading bench resonating, but I can reproduce the issue easily.

In short, I have no problem recommending an A&D FX series balance.

Lol, you did nothing wrong there, it's nice to have an accurate scale around. I went with one of the first auto trickler systems, feeding it was not for me, it just sat there while I continued using 2 chargemasters. If I ever thought something was awry, the 120i was right there to verify, I ended up selling it but can envision one sitting on my bench again.

Well most of my reloading set up came from my uncle who taught me to buy the best and buy it once....I am still using his Hollywood reloading press from the 50s....I love this thing way better than a rock chucker or other modern equivalent. THAAAAAAAAAAAAAT being said.....I also sent my Redding Beam scale off to Scot Parker and am having him tune it up....Ill compare the two and sell off the one I use the least.

I have the Sartorius 64-1s measures out to .001 . I know that every load is absolutely within 1 kernel of every other load. I used a beam scale and had no complaint but I just wanted to have that little extra accuracy. If I want to get crazy I can always start cutting kernels in 1/2 ...LOL

Scott Parker, does anyone have contact info on him? Sent an email several months ago, with no reply. Would like to have my 10-10
worked on for backup.

Scott Parker, does anyone have contact info on him? Sent an email several months ago, with no reply. Would like to have my 10-10
worked on for backup.

Go 6mmbr.com youll find him thier

I have the Sartorius 64-1s measures out to .001 . I know that every load is absolutely within 1 kernel of every other load. I used a beam scale and had no complaint but I just wanted to have that little extra accuracy. If I want to get crazy I can always start cutting kernels in 1/2 ...LOL

Yeah that Sartorius is crazy accurate but with an update ("settling") time of 2.5 seconds I'd go nuts waiting for it. Typical strain gage load cell performance. I wanted one of their milligram balances with MFR load cell ( updates < 1s) but they stopped making them. Maybe they offer a similar model now.
Extruded powder granules generally weighing .02 grains, the ability to weigh to a milligram is useless to me as I'm not interested in cutting down granules.
I had an A&D milligram strain gage based balance for a little while but the slow updates (3 seconds) and ridiculous sensitivity were not helpful IMHO.

Incidentally, I paid $40 for that ($3000 list price) balance on eBay, listed as not working, took a chance because the error on its display was identical to what my FX-300 throws if the weighing tray is removed (and in the eBay picture it was missing the weighing tray). I bought the missing parts from A&D (around $100) then set about fixing the 10 milligram disparity (out of level) between weighing at one side of the balance vs the other (A&D wanted $600 to tune it up).
Took the cover off and found a thin brass suspension "leaf" that appeared to be the leveling adjustment. Half an hour of adjusting a setscrew and fixing nut later I had it weighing within a milligram from edge to edge.
I sold it to someone on SH a few years back, made a few bucks (not much) and the buyer got a smokin' deal.