• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scott's Free Recoil Demo - Sort of....

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    @sstacllc

Posted this on FB regarding free recoil, a couple of comments and I am not gonna use FB to post them.

1. That is not what I would consider Free Recoil and in Fact, that is how I do it. There is still contact with the buttstock, trigger control is not compromised by just using the finger with a thumb resting on the trigger guard. Marrying up the rifle as it balances on the barricade is not the same as hanging to the side removing the shooter completely.

2. Contradictions Applied: if you can't get good trigger control, you should be learning what good trigger control is, vs removing the control and balancing the thumb against the trigger guard. You outline the problem and then move to go around the most basic problem. That is what the complaint is, you address it correctly in the video but you talk around the issue.

Fixing a shooter's trigger control, even in this single instance is more valuable than the compromise. Admitting that trigger control is where people fall down is the point, and each time the proponents of Free Recoil say, The shooter's trigger control is bad so let's move to something else.

Free Recoil that is being debated is the rifle out of the shoulder pocket with the hand away from the stock.

Balancing the rifle and using a light touch to reduce shooter influence is not the issue by any stretch of the conversation. It's moving off the rifle we are trying to highlight, the absolute removal of the shooter in all ways but the most basic manipulation of the trigger with the firing hand support missing. Simple pressure down so the rifle is not pushed off the barricade and then pinch approach to trigger control.

We already know Free Recoil in various forms works, you can thank the benchrest guys and F Class shooters for blazing that trail. Because everything is moving in this direction and the gear has followed is really the point of discussion on there, and that goes into the lack of training you specifically hit on in the video.

The message is, you can't do it right, so rather than practice and focus, it's a compromise and that compromise is in the form of equipment. Heavier rifle, lighter trigger, smaller caliber. It's Barricade Benchrest vs Marksmanship principles. if you did not kiss up to the rifle with your shoulder, light or otherwise, the recoil would have been more pronounced in its movement requiring an extra step to reset.

I align the reticle to about .5 mil below the target, so when I kiss up to the rifle and assume my position and cheek weld the buttstock will move down and the muzzle up so I am naturally aligned to the target which includes my body position. My trigger control does not change because I focus on it no matter what the situation.

Free recoil in benchrest is slightly different only because they use a rest which holds the rifle, then they can index using the rifle to return it to its original placement.

Note the trigger control technique being employed, it's the same one we are talking about. That trigger guard pinch, which you did not do. The major proponents of this technique are doing less than you, and putting the focus the downward pressure of the scope. They increase the pressure there to try and hold it still vs letting it butt into the shoulder.

Everything you did, I do, the idea is to allow the rifle to recoil back naturally but not let it get too far out there. That is not free recoil. The rub is, the admission of fundamental problems in control that are bypassed.

this is exactly the method most if not all ,maybe aside of jim see, are applying to less than perfect position. It is a hybrid form. You cannot apply perfectly all the fundamentals using it. You simply have to apply the ones you can. I cannot for the life of me understand what is so hard to figure out here. If it’s the method you use frank then wtf is the issue here....NO ONE is using absolute free recoil in this game.

Reactions: Fig
    Except they are... Clearly, you guys are jaded, I am not saying anything about what Scott is doing

The issue being discussed stemmed from this photo:

39900553_2022204154757411_3860269159141081088_n.jpg

This is the "Free Recoil" everyone is associating, NOT what Scott is doing,

We are pretty clear on this, YOU ALL attacking us are NOT.

Instead of showing the various different ways guys are executing this, Scott demonstrated the most common way.

I shoot from the bench but I'm still tucked in. This bench shooter in the video has a rest for everything except his dick and has a left side port and is more off to the side of the rifle letting the slack recoil slowly ruin his scapula muscle from the shoulder and up his neck.. It doesn't matter as long as the rifle returns to the same spot it started. If it doesn't, well, I did something wrong even it was a good hit. If I need to hear "Hit" and not see it than I'm fucked. You know I'm fucked because I'm fidgeting around a little trying to get back in the right position behind the rifle.

As for the OP video all I see is normal less than preference barricade shooting with a folded up bipod accepting slack recoil on an already loose platform.

@sstacllc

Posted this on FB regarding free recoil, a couple of comments and I am not gonna use FB to post them.

1. That is not what I would consider Free Recoil and in Fact, that is how I do it. There is still contact with the buttstock, trigger control is not compromised by just using the finger with a thumb resting on the trigger guard. Marrying up the rifle as it balances on the barricade is not the same as hanging to the side removing the shooter completely.

2. Contradictions Applied: if you can't get good trigger control, you should be learning what good trigger control is, vs removing the control and balancing the thumb against the trigger guard. You outline the problem and then move to go around the most basic problem. That is what the complaint is, you address it correctly in the video but you talk around the issue.

Fixing a shooter's trigger control, even in this single instance is more valuable than the compromise. Admitting that trigger control is where people fall down is the point, and each time the proponents of Free Recoil say, The shooter's trigger control is bad so let's move to something else.

Free Recoil that is being debated is the rifle out of the shoulder pocket with the hand away from the stock.

Balancing the rifle and using a light touch to reduce shooter influence is not the issue by any stretch of the conversation. It's moving off the rifle we are trying to highlight, the absolute removal of the shooter in all ways but the most basic manipulation of the trigger with the firing hand support missing. Simple pressure down so the rifle is not pushed off the barricade and then pinch approach to trigger control.

We already know Free Recoil in various forms works, you can thank the benchrest guys and F Class shooters for blazing that trail. Because everything is moving in this direction and the gear has followed is really the point of discussion on there, and that goes into the lack of training you specifically hit on in the video.

The message is, you can't do it right, so rather than practice and focus, it's a compromise and that compromise is in the form of equipment. Heavier rifle, lighter trigger, smaller caliber. It's Barricade Benchrest vs Marksmanship principles. if you did not kiss up to the rifle with your shoulder, light or otherwise, the recoil would have been more pronounced in its movement requiring an extra step to reset.

I align the reticle to about .5 mil below the target, so when I kiss up to the rifle and assume my position and cheek weld the buttstock will move down and the muzzle up so I am naturally aligned to the target which includes my body position. My trigger control does not change because I focus on it no matter what the situation.

Free recoil in benchrest is slightly different only because they use a rest which holds the rifle, then they can index using the rifle to return it to its original placement.

Note the trigger control technique being employed, it's the same one we are talking about. That trigger guard pinch, which you did not do. The major proponents of this technique are doing less than you, and putting the focus the downward pressure of the scope. They increase the pressure there to try and hold it still vs letting it butt into the shoulder.

Everything you did, I do, the idea is to allow the rifle to recoil back naturally but not let it get too far out there. That is not free recoil. The rub is, the admission of fundamental problems in control that are bypassed.

Like I said that is my version of Free recoil and I admit that it isn't absolute but more a sliding scale from full engagement to none I try to stay away from zero engagement unless I absolutely have to in which case I am playing the game at that point and doing the best I can. Even the bench rest guys are using bags to direct the rifle so still not completely free recoil. Some of the stuff we shoot off of require non standard application of the fundamentals.

Clearly, we have different definitions of "Free Recoil" ...

Nobody I know is calling what Scott demonstrates "Free Recoil" and that has been pointed out more than once. Why everyone debating this constantly ignores this fact is beyond me.

Reactions: Fig
    I need parallel horizontal hydraulic shock on my front rest.

Lol, if you think you shoot better than Scott go out and compete against him and beat him. I know who my money is on.

You took that as an insult to the OP? LL, got it right. Some of you people are wound up too tight. Truth, is I found your first post completely cock sucking then you go and do it again.

Nobody I know is calling what Scott demonstrates "Free Recoil" and that has been pointed out more than once. Why everyone debating this constantly ignores this fact is beyond me.

People debate it because you painted with a broad brush..... PRS sucks, all they do is free recoil, buy a gamechanger and don't practice and beat everyone, it's a gear race, buy your way to the top (where all the greedy pros live), etc.

Then someone posts a video showing free recoil (aka not free recoil) everyone else says, yeah that's what I do, it's clear that the brush you painted with was overly broad.

We get it, you don't like the PRS, the sport or the people involved. The question then is why keep bringing it up to attack it vs just moving on with life to the other good things you've got going on? It's not a long-term value add for your students/customers/listeners. Sure, drama gets attention but it doesn't pay off in the long run.

What Scott is doing is also what I call "free recoil" as well. I have never found the need to get into a weird position where the stock is not at least touching my shoulder even though I am not loading into it. However, at that point I think it comes down to a comfortable position. If you get impacts being in a weird position and that's comfortable for you without compromising accuracy then who am I to tell you you're doing it wrong?
    My trigger squeeeeeeeeze stays the same no matter what position I'm in.

Honestly, this post clears up for me what LL is talking about.

Wait, give it a few minutes the selective reading and moving of the goal posts will continue.

@Sheldon N

You don't understand what I like or how I teach or what we do, you just inserted your own definitions based on your group mind think.

My drama / Podcast / Etc only get traction because of you all, in fact, go back the last 3 months of my Podcasts, and the PRS centric ones are nowhere near the top of the downloads. The other stuff is far more important.

However, if you are gonna troll me, gonna take my words out of context, gonna create false narrative memes about me, obviously I have a lot of INK or in this case, pixels to respond with. While you guys might believe this is tactic to gain more traffic, I will tell my traffic has continued to grow and improve since moving back from Scout. Double-Digit Growth in Fact. If you want to label all that growth drama, I can assure it is not.

Just like the Scott Fans who want to attack me, @-Nick- comes to mind, these same lines of attack are being used in more than one place.

I find it comical, Here I have a background in this via the USMC, I have taught classes since 2003, and I have the longest continual match in the US the SH Events, which have been happening every year since, well too long. Yet I am the issue, The line of attack that I have monetized this site or I sellout my Classes is an issue which, is my ISSUE. The Line of attack that I should not be allowed to earn an income of something I have been doing consistently for 15+ years.

Fast forward to these same attacks, Again Read Nicks Post, as he repeated it again today, but deleted it. PRS Guys top 10 or better an event. The only background they have is, they paid to shoot a match and did well. Now they are instructors which is all good, free market. They are attacking my Online Training which started in 2008, yet when Vibbert Does it, High Fives all around. When Jim See teaches, more high fives, but when Frank Mentions the Fundamentals, the entire competition world stands on their head.

I counterpunch, one day you'll all figure that out.

You don't understand what I like or how I teach or what we do, you just inserted your own definitions based on your group mind think.

My drama / Podcast / Etc only get traction because of you all, in fact, go back the last 3 months of my Podcasts, and the PRS centric ones are nowhere near the top of the downloads. The other stuff is far more important.

However, if you are gonna troll me, gonna take my words out of context, gonna create false narrative memes about me, obviously I have a lot of INK or in this case, pixels to respond with. While you guys might believe this is tactic to gain more traffic, I will tell my traffic has continued to grow and improve since moving back from Scout. Double-Digit Growth in Fact. If you want to label all that growth drama, I can assure it is not.

Fair enough. and I'm not here to question the quality of your training. I came to your site to learn and gained a ton of knowledge in the process. Watched your videos and read your posts, and I learned. Your site (or the members here) pointed me towards PRS competition and I've been able to learn a ton more by going and doing and getting exposure to that sport. And that "going and doing" has been the most valuable part of it for me.

Now I'm in the sport and find myself scratching my head at some of the criticisms you have and your increasing focus on the negative elements. Sure, I'm sticking up for the sport I enjoy, no things aren't perfect in PRS land... but no, I wouldn't call my position "trolling".

Except they are... Clearly, you guys are jaded, I am not saying anything about what Scott is doing

The issue being discussed stemmed from this photo:

39900553_2022204154757411_3860269159141081088_n.jpg

This is the "Free Recoil" everyone is associating, NOT what Scott is doing,

We are pretty clear on this, YOU ALL attacking us are NOT.

Instead of showing the various different ways guys are executing this, Scott demonstrated the most common way.

He only has the stock pinched between his cheek and shoulder, when the rifle fires can he see the impact?
    Is there a video to see the mechanics of this.

Reactions: sstacllc
    Funny,

At every turn, Phil has addressed EVERYONE of these Issues... and silence from the Anti Frank crowd.

@Sheldon N

I'm my mind I see you following the same lines of attacks against me. Sorry, I call it as I see it.

I do promote competition shooting my crime is promoting it as an individual and not as a member of the series. It had an impact and people are angry

Funny, if you look at the segregates attacking me personally, none of them would have thought about it when I was Cheerleading their pet causes. No longer support their chosen direction and it's game on. Okay, I can play. These same guys were fans when I worked for their causes.

Here for the Gear in Review article for Gun Digest, I included the Game Changer Bag as a Top Product, clearly not hostile to the product.

In that same article included the Vudoo 22 and along with it mentioned the NRL22 League as a highlight,

I do not speak in ABSOLUTES and I don't claim one technique over another in a way that excludes everything else. I speak about being a Well Rounded Shooter.

Because guys cannot separate themselves from criticisms they decided it was easier and safer to attack the messenger. Meanwhile, everyone admits there is "room for improvement' however you cannot point to one thing that has changed for the better.

Yes shoot a match, no don't pay the series, that is my position. Why on earth would i continue to host matches or attend matches if I was so against them?

Reactions: Basher
    He only has the stock pinched between his cheek and shoulder, when the rifle fires can he see the impact?

if you use a heavier rifle with a lighter caliber yes...

Hence the comments about 26LBS 6mm rifles with 1.250" straight taper barrels and chassis weights to get the rifle as heavy as possible.

this is why things like the 22 Creedmoor are being looked at, reduce the recoil even further.

Here is the PRS recoil. Complete control of the weapon for the whole thing. :) Yeah, this is going to work fine with until somebody accidentally puts out a car windshield just over the hill and out of sight.

Here is the PRS recoil. Complete control of the weapon for the whole thing. :) Yeah, this is going to work fine with until somebody accidentally puts out a car windshield just over the hill and out of sight.

I would love to covertly swap out an identical rifle that is a .338 on one of the guys doing this.

The whole system has been infiltrated by Homeland Security red heelers. Eventually, this entire drove is going to be herded into subsonic .22 rimfire, much smaller targets, shorter 200 meter ranges, and 50' berms with one mile of open and closed danger space beyond and nobody will be the wiser.

PRS to my uninitiated eye clearly seems to be trying to emulate shooting in tactical combative environment where the shooter isn't set up in a prepared position. Kinda like we're trying to emulate unexpected combat while on the move and playing take out the bad guy last minute while he's busy doing something else other than shooing back.

Maybe its not what its trying to emulate and I misunderstand. But to me, mounting a rifle up on a flimsy piece of concealment to take a shot at a static target doesn't seem to emulate much of what one might encounter when tactical skill needs application in the real world.

Would rather see a stage where the competitors dove superman style 10' through the air into the back of berm to line up prone behind the rifle and take a shot with bloody palms and elbows and a knot on the brow. That is much more realistic when compared to running around with a bunch of fluffy pillows in tow all while trying to balance their crap on a fence post. Sure, mitigate the blood loss by throwing on the elbow and knee pads along with some stout gloves, but that would be one hell of a stage. Before someone cry's foul that a stage like that is unsafe or hard to setup and teardown in a day let me say that I'd tend to agree. But hell, on the flip side participants could also leave all the fluffy pillows and other 10 shooting accouterments one wouldn't field in combat back in the truck and shoot the match closer to reality.

And maybe I don't fully understand Franks position, but again to my uninitiated eye it seems like there is major confliction going on between the techniques I've seen in these matches and the situation(s) being emulated. Same or similar could be said for other shooting "sports" that attempt to emulate combat.

Not to mention they don't have fire support so it is a militia game. To get the scores up they need to move before the U.S. can get a fix on them and to do that they need smaller caliber rifles that weigh a ton.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Frank full disclosure here I have never seen that picture and didn't know that the extreme end of free recoil technique was the rub. I have seen that done in matches with some success but I have never gone to this extreme myself. So, I wasn't talking around the subject of trigger control or any other aspect of shooting fundamentals. I also don't teach that technique to my students. I was just unaware of the scope of the original argument.

Frank full disclosure here I have never seen that picture and didn't know that the extreme end of free recoil technique was the rub. I have seen that done in matches with some success but I have never gone to this extreme myself. So, I wasn't talking around the subject of trigger control or any other aspect of shooting fundamentals. I also don't teach that technique to my students. I was just unaware of the scope of the original argument.

Sounds good Scott,

That was the issue, and Craig A was right, we just had different understandings of the definition.

I did not consider what you did Free Recoil, was never part of my original intent.

@sstacllc

@sstacllc

Frank, full disclosure here I had never seen the picture of the guy going full free recoil on the tank trap. I have seen that technique used with some success but have never really seen the need to use it nor do I teach folks to use it to that extent. My video describe the full extent of what I envision the term and mechanics of free recoil.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
    All,
    I got a question on the 7 SUAM and will post the specifications here. Its a Defiance Deviant XM length action, Defiance XM magazines ID 3.25", Proof M-24 1-8 26" SAAMI chamber throated out to .225 freebore and will run 197s at COAL of 3.24 with .020 jump. I run the 185 RDFs at 3.10" at 2900 fps with 60.5 Gr of RE 23 in Bertram Brass MPA chassis, MDT and Manners makes Stocks. A couple of other companies are looking at making magazines for this length as well. It's a cool set up for sure I'm able to run the SA magnums with enough freebore to get the bullet out of the powder column. It allows for longer heavier bullets to be mag fed in 308 based and short mag cartridges

Glad to see this thread. I think the definition disparity is quite common.

I too considered “free recoil” to be when I relax a bit more than I would prone or on a bench and keep a light hand on the trigger/grip. The rifle rocks back a bit more, but I never lose the target. I would describe this to people as “free recoil, but not 100% free recoil.”

Other times people would tell me they can’t stay on target with free recoil and I didn’t understand why.

Now I see it was likely disparity in the definition of free recoil.

I think it may need to be defined as “least amount of influence while still managing recoil” and “free recoil.”

Now knowing what free recoil really is, I barely even do this with .22lr. I feel better knowing I’m tracking and aware of every bullet I send down range.

Reactions: FishDr
    Now that we got this all sorted out...does anyone else think that Jim See talks like Derek Zoolander, or is it just me?

PRS to my uninitiated eye clearly seems to be trying to emulate shooting in tactical combative environment where the shooter isn't set up in a prepared position. Kinda like we're trying to emulate unexpected combat while on the move and playing take out the bad guy last minute while he's busy doing something else other than shooing back.

Maybe its not what its trying to emulate and I misunderstand. But to me, mounting a rifle up on a flimsy piece of concealment to take a shot at a static target doesn't seem to emulate much of what one might encounter when tactical skill needs application in the real world.

Would rather see a stage where the competitors dove superman style 10' through the air into the back of berm to line up prone behind the rifle and take a shot with bloody palms and elbows and a knot on the brow. That is much more realistic when compared to running around with a bunch of fluffy pillows in tow all while trying to balance their crap on a fence post. Sure, mitigate the blood loss by throwing on the elbow and knee pads along with some stout gloves, but that would be one hell of a stage. Before someone cry's foul that a stage like that is unsafe or hard to setup and teardown in a day let me say that I'd tend to agree. But hell, on the flip side participants could also leave all the fluffy pillows and other 10 shooting accouterments one wouldn't field in combat back in the truck and shoot the match closer to reality.

And maybe I don't fully understand Franks position, but again to my uninitiated eye it seems like there is major confliction going on between the techniques I've seen in these matches and the situation(s) being emulated. Same or similar could be said for other shooting "sports" that attempt to emulate combat.

Maybe there are those that shoot this style of rifle competition thinking they are 'emulating shooting in tactical combative environment' but I can't say I have ever shot with someone that felt this. Myself (and many of my friends) started doing it to improve shooting while hunting. It kind of takes on a life of its own after a while and is really fun. It's just a sport for many of us, not combat training lol

Fact! nfoley has it right. Most of the guys with some kind of "tactical" experience cringe at some of the stage but again it's a game. A game that can substantially increase the capability and capacity for the employment of precision rifle. "tactics" are collective and individual tasks performed to allow for a predictable action or reaction by members of a team during operations. Tactics are based off of the available skill set with in the unit. The better the skill set the better the tactics and the fewer amount of folks required to accomplish a task. Additionally, I've heard complaints about being able to "game" the stage or see it before hand and make a plan for it. Sounds like a leaders recon private through general know the value of seeing it before execution. Just my worthless $.02 on the topic. Go shoot, have fun, try to learn and don't worry about where you place. Try to get better at it.

^^^
    That rifle scope cam is awesome - and reasonably priced. I had to go and get a damned google pixel 2, they don't make one for my phone. Probably best tho - would watch my own videos and wonder if I had a mild seizure disorder..

Reactions: sstacllc