• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scout Scope Long Eye Relief

fx77

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2005
    ny state
    Rifle: Springfield M1A Socom 16 cal 308
    Purpose : Shooting to 200 yards Max

Rail is forward of the action

What scope would be most appropriate for this rifle?

Seemingly, the issue is how much eye relief do I need , and this data would narrow my choices.

Thanks for the help

Intermediate length eye relief; IER is what you'd be looking for. Leupold and Burris both have several IER "Scout scope" models.
    A good red dot is also a viable option.

My answer is.... I dunno. :D

I just bought something that didn't work.

I was looking to put one on Ruger No.1 with a non factory location/length rail, but not quite scout scope far away.
    I have a Steyr Scout that normally has a Leupold scout scope, but it was temporarily off the rifle.
    I put the Leupold on the Ruger and it worked well. The Leupold is supposedly 9 inches or something of eye relief. The Burris 2-7 scout scope is supposed to be 9 to something inches (or whatever). Same same, I figured it would work. So I ordered one... and it doesn't work on the Ruger, on any magnification setting. Not enough distance from the eye. So I dunno?

I put the Leupold back on the Ruger and the Burris on the Steyr and I think it's the better setup anyway. Surprised how much I like the Burris on there and can really take advantage of the accuracy potential of the Steyr.
    (funny I used to be able to shoot sub MOA... very sub MOA groups with a 2x pistol scope (on pistols or scout mounted rifles) But then I used to be able to shoot sub MOA groups with iron sights as well. Those days are long gone it seems.) :(

I recommended the Leupold for years, but they just keep sliding to cheaper and cheaper quality from what I see. And I really like the Burris so far. (I think I own one Burris pistol scope , but when I was big into that sort of thing they never blew me away. I tried a few but always sold them, always went back to other things.)

Last edited:
    Reactions: fx77
    I run the Burris fixed power scope on my scout rifle. It is lighter than the variable power model that I ran previously and more simple to use. I prefer it.

-Stan

Reactions: fx77