• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scout scope recommendation for M1A

Paulinski

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hello

While my bolt gun is being build I acquired MA1 scout rifle build on Norinco receiver 2007 production (I'm in frosty Canada
blush.gif
)

Here are the details of the rifle.
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Norinco Receiver[*] TRW Bolt, headspace on chamber cut to 1.631[*] H&R Trigger Group[*] Unitized Smith Enterprise Gas Cylinder[*] USGI Rear Sight Assembly[*] McMillan Marine Corps M14 Match stock, Forest green Camo, action professionally bedded.[*]Krieger stainless heavy barrel with custom op rod guide, cut at 18.6 inches, drilled and tapped for custom 4 inch picatinny scout mount perfectly located for use with springfield armory scout handguard.[*]Smith Enterprise Direct Connect Vortex[*]Smith Enterprise Dovetail Gas Lock Front Sight[*]National Match front sight[*]Sadlak Match Op Rod Spring Guide [/list]

I have never owned a long eye relief scope so I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Re: Scout scope recommendation for M1A

My recommendation would be to forget the scout scope concept altogether, mainly because of range limitation, parallax and heat issues. The iron sights that came with the rifle are as capable for anything a Scout scope can do.

Alternatively, I'm not sure where those holes are drilled, but if the scope tube length is favorable, is to use the existing Scout mount provisions as a front base and use a stripper clip dovetail mount as the rear base.

Another method, with the barrel already drilled and tapped, would be to use the barrel holes as a solid front mounting point for a custom made solid picatinny rail that would extend back to the stripper clip dovetail for any optic you might want to mount on the rifle.

If you really want to use a forward base mount install a red dot sight...or just go with a Sadlak receiver mount and skip all the drama entirely...

TC

Thanks for the info Top Cat. I do have an Aimpoint Micro sitting idle and LaRue short mount.

I'll look into the Sadlak mount as well.

Pic of mount

rail_closeup.jpg

Pic of the rifle.

supermatch_scout.jpg

Paul

I like the fact my Smith has never shoot loose in several years of use if you want to go with a receiver mount. Or go with a 30mm red dot for a QCB set up.

Damn nice custom Scout.. what is the weight?

I just picked up a used ARMS #18 for 100 bucks on Arf.com, I havent had a chance to use it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirknar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn nice custom Scout.. what is the weight?
</div></div>

Its pretty heavy.