• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scout scope recommendation?

gunnut284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Orlando, FL
I just bought a Marlin 1895 .45-70 Guide Gun and am thinking of doing a scout type scope setup. I know this isn't the typical type of scope or rifle discussed here but I'm sure there is some experience with this style here as well. Any recommendations? It looks like Burris and Leupold are the primary offerings, any others? One better than the other? Handgun scope?

Re: Scout scope recommendation?

I have a Burris extended eye relief scout-type scope I just replaced on my AR that I would be willing to sell for a good price. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. The one on their website is 2.75 fixed. Mine is an older model and a 1-4 variable.

I've been considering one for my Ruger Scout, and the offerings are limited as you note. I've seen good reviews for both, and any preference seems to be minor personal preference. I have heard that pistol scopes are not ideal, as their intended eye relief is greater than for the scout setup, but apparently they work, too. At least with a pistol scope it would be easier to try one out at a store.

Quickdraw - why are you replacing yours? I'm debating the whole concept and would be curious to know your experience and thoughts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been considering one for my Ruger Scout, and the offerings are limited as you note. I've seen good reviews for both, and any preference seems to be minor personal preference. I have heard that pistol scopes are not ideal, as their intended eye relief is greater than for the scout setup, but apparently they work, too. At least with a pistol scope it would be easier to try one out at a store.

Quickdraw - why are you replacing yours? I'm debating the whole concept and would be curious to know your experience and thoughts. </div></div>

When I shot 3-gun 12 years ago, it was the only reasonably priced 1-4 scope on the market. I think it is a good scope and I used it for a lot of years, but with the new Burris Mtac 1-4 illuminated scope with 3-gun reticle on the market, it was an easy choice to change to a scope that more fit my needs. I'd refund money if someone got it and wasn't happy with it after a couple of days and returned it in the same condition.

I can't pick the rifle up for another 2 weeks (pawn shop hold) but I'm thinking of putting a 4x pistol scope on it that I have laying around, just to try the concept. It had the XS ghost ring sights on it so I might just use them but the scout setup seemed like a good idea. I don't know, maybe a Aimpoint would be a good idea too, I'm not sure and just looking for experiences.

Quickdraw - if you still have it in a month or two I might be interested but I want to research more and get the gun in my hands before I run with it. Thanks for the offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunnut284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't pick the rifle up for another 2 weeks (pawn shop hold) but I'm thinking of putting a 4x pistol scope on it that I have laying around, just to try the concept. It had the XS ghost ring sights on it so I might just use them but the scout setup seemed like a good idea. I don't know, maybe a Aimpoint would be a good idea too, I'm not sure and just looking for experiences.

Quickdraw - if you still have it in a month or two I might be interested but I want to research more and get the gun in my hands before I run with it. Thanks for the offer. </div></div>

Sound good, LMK. I not in a huge hurry to get rid of it. My past experience with pistol scopes is the eye relief is super finicky, so check for that. Good luck!

I had a .450 Marlin guide gun. Tried the Ashley ghost sight set, and their guide scope rail. Had the Leupold 2.5x Guide Scope.

The guide scope was unwieldy and impractical on the lever action. Also sold the AO ghost sight set. Went with a plain blade and a Williams basic aperture sight and used a Weaver one piece base with a variety of traditional low-power scopes.

I eventually sold the guide gun. The scout scope was unwieldy and not nearly as easy to shoot well as with a 0-4x low profile variable.

For what it is worth, I have a bushnell dot sight (no magnification) on my scout now and that seems to work reasonably well. I'd like some magnificaton for longer range and more accuracy, and I know what a conventional scope mount would do for me. I just don't know what a scout setup would do and don't want to invest in something that doesn't work out.

Eventually, I'll probably run the iron sights with no suppressor, a scope with suppressor, and perhaps a third optic unsuppressed. All that is left are the details!