• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scout Supply Co worked over lefty 700P LTR.

58blackflag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
SC
Just got my 700P LTR back from Russell at Scout Supply Co. This is the 4th rifle Russell has tuned up for me and I can't wait until I get back home from work and have a chance to shoot it! It is a lefty 700P LTR in .308. Russell tuned up the action, threaded and rechambered the barrel with a match reamer, he bedded the action in a McMillan A5 with Badger bottom metal, coated the bolt with microslick, added a badger knob, and painted the action to match the tan in the stock. The rig fully dressed out with scope and suppressor weighs in at just under 14lbs and is extremely well balanced. It is topped with a Hensoldt 3-12x56mm scope.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 24
I hate you and everything you stand for. Not really, I'm just jealous of your rifle.

Very nice looking package. I am curious as to how/when you came across the LH 700P. Sounds like you had acquired it and sent it off to Scout Supply. I have been looking all over the net and in the LGS's for a LH Remington 308. Scout Supply certainly has been getting good reviews from Hide members. Congratulations on a nice build!

Very nice looking package. I am curious as to how/when you came across the LH 700P. Sounds like you had acquired it and sent it off to Scout Supply. I have been looking all over the net and in the LGS's for a LH Remington 308. Scout Supply certainly has been getting good reviews from Hide members. Congratulations on a nice build!

I found it on snipercountrypx.com in March. I didn't know they existed either so when I saw it I grabbed it! Russell really does a great job, I highly recommend him!

First group of hand loads out of the rifle! 178 AMAXs over H4895 in new Lapua brass with CCI BR-2. Sadly, this was a random load I made up just to use the last five pieces of new brass I had....I know what combo to play with now though! Strangely, this gun does not seem to like 168 FGMM. I shot a box thru it yesterday and the best group wasn't nearly as good as the one pictured. Even before Russell worked on the gun, I was never able to find a SMK load it would shoot well. I do have some H4895/175 SMK loads to try today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I have a left handed LTR I am getting to send Russell for a workover. I got mine out of the attic in Minot, North Dakota last year. Waiting 10 months now for my elite iron can now. How bad can the government continue tonputmit to us gun owners? I have heard nothing but good things from Scout Supply. Russell responded fast to my request and seems to be a no nonsence guy. I think I am going to have the barrel set back and reamed rather than rebarrel.

My 308 really liked 175gr SMK with 43.5 -44.5 hrs of Varget with 44.0gr shooting the best. Fed 210 primers and Lapua brass. Running 2725fps out of a factory 24" 5r. Never could find a consistent load with H4895 for it.

Last edited:
Russell at Scout Supply makes awesome rifles. I have a 308 from scout supply and it's one of the most accurate rifles I've shot. I love it.

He's also a super guy!

I'm a lefty too, the 700 tactical will be a perfect platform for a long range rig!

Nice rifle! And it looks like it shoots too!

Jake

I agree on Russell's abilities.
I don't think he gets the respect he deserves.....still a bit under the radar, so to speak.
He is a super nice guy and makes one heck of a rifle.

I don't know if anything has changed, but his turn around times used to be ridiculously fast.

His time lines are still great. He works hard to keep it that way. But he's getting busier and busier because people are starting to find out about his great gunsmith prices and excellent quality of craftsmanship.

It's a good thing! After shooting many of rifles from many of top gunsmiths around the country, we have mostly Scout supply company rifles for us!

Hello, somewhat new member here. I have been waiting patiently since November to send in my sendero 2 300wm. I've heard nothing but good things about Russell and Scout supply. Nice guy to talk to on the phone and if you have questions he answers or explains everything to you. Reading this post just reassures I made the right decision!

Sent from my SCH-I605

I have a 300 WSM that Russell built, and it's a laser. Still developing a load for it, but during the 2nd round of the ladder test, moving up in .5% increments, the 4 groups in my "node" were all in the .75" range at 300 yards. Still have room for improvement on that one too! Just traded my GAP 338 Lapua straight up for one of his 308's on a Stiller Tac 30 AW. And he's building me a 6.5 x 47 Lapua that will be used as a match rifle. Been to his shop a couple times. Great guy to work with.

Russell does really good work and he is a great guy to talk to. I have a couple completed from Scout Supply and another in the works. This is a pic of my two shorty's, a 18" .308 in a McRees chassis and a 16.5' .243 bedded in a Bell & Carlson w PTG Stealth bottom metal.
f999caf9-e3cb-49b3-abe0-fa9339b15537_zps6a26b65d.jpg

Yep, Russel is a 1st class guy. Pretty rare to find a quality builder with good turn-around times that will spend time on the phone talking through a big decision that is a build. Very helpful for the first few times you do one. He will be getting a lot of my business and I'm happy things are picking up! I'll have to post pics of my .260 Rem he built me on a 700 action (with groups.) I was tagging a 4" plate at a 1000 yards pretty regularly with it before I sent it back to him for a few more goodies.

I found this thread and had to add on to it. Russell is building me a 7-300WM AI, we are just waiting on the reamers (chamber and die) to get started. I dropped off my donor rifle at his place last Thursday as I had to be at Ft. Hood for the weekend anyway. Since I first sent Russel an e-mail about maybe building a rifle on Jan 20th we have exchanged no less then 12 e-mails back and forth, and have talked on the phone at least 15 times going over what exactly we wanted to do, reamer ideas, (he has also talked to Dave Kiff at PTG at least 5-6 times about the reamer), scope idea's etc, and he has always taken the time out of his day to listen and talk. When I went to his shop he showed me several rifles that he has built to give us some idea's, and let me look through different scopes to see what I thought. Let me tell you, in this day and age when a smith takes that kind of time to talk to a customer and ask me what exactly I was looking for, and then takes the time to help guide me in the correct direction...well, it means a lot. This is the first rifle that I have had built and I am already thinking of the next one that I am going to have him do. And I do not even have the first one yet! He is a stand up guy who has the knowledge base to bounce idea's off of and then tell you what will or will not work. Based off of my conversations with him I have 100% confidence in going with different things that he suggests. When going over the reamer idea's as I mentioned above he talked to Dave Kiff (who by the way is one of the masters at making reamers, if he has an idea or suggestion you sit back and listen) many times. Then one morning out of the blue he gives me a call and says "Ok, I know the reamer we are going with and it is ordered". And I just said "sounds good" as based off our prior conversations I knew that he would do what would work out the best. Of course he explained why we using this particular reamer and he had all of the bases covered, and then some that I did not even know to ask about.

Moral of the story is that even if it means my next build may take a bit longer due to his business picking up even more, I would highly recommend Russell and Scout Supply Company if you are considering a build. His customer service and communication are excellent, and from what I have seen and read you can bet that you will receive an absolute tack driver of a rifle from him. I could see this getting expensive quick, I might have to start hiding my new rifles in the back of the safe as my wife has a pretty good idea of what I already have!

Tag. Is Russell on this site? Might need to make a trip to his shop one day! Got a Web Link by any chance?

Just got the ok to send my sendero 2 to Russell. Going to ship it this friday, was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure on how much it costs to ship a rifle from west coast (Washington) to Texas?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Just got the ok to send my sendero 2 to Russell. Going to ship it this friday, was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure on how much it costs to ship a rifle from west coast (Washington) to Texas?

Probably $40-$60 depending on how much insurance you get and the weight of the package.

Ok thanks. I've never shipped something like this before, kinda nervous. ......