• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scratched the side of a bolt lug on Remington 700

HogBoss

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2013
I recently torqued my action onto the stock more than my plastic ADL stock could handle. The front action screw protruded enough to leave a small scratch on my bottom bolt lug. How bad is this for the gun?

Restock it in a better stock or shorten the screw. The scratch is ugly (bolt action version of the "idiot mark". Shouldn't hurt the function of the rifle.

Restock it in a better stock or shorten the screw. The scratch is ugly (bolt action version of the "idiot mark". Shouldn't hurt the function of the rifle.

I have an "idiot mark" on my first 1911 and was kind of feeling I'd been down this path before...

Here's a pic. Couldn't get it to upload from my phone..
20130630_235437.jpg

Wouldn't hurt to carefully file away the burs I see in the raceway. They might cause extra friction/wear during cycling. Other than that... good excuse for a real stock! :p

Good to hear it is nothing serious. I guess I have some more amateur gunsmithing in my future and a story to tell. Thanks for the the responses!

I would 1) polish the mark to remove any roughness, and 2) see if I could find a round washer that can go under the action screw head (or trigger guard plate) to make up for the stock compression. I prefer doing that over shortening screws.

A Perma Blue Touchup Pen can address the cosmetic issue. I find it works better with a second pass/coat.

Greg

Last edited:
I would 1) polish the mark to remove any roughness, and 2) see if I could find a round washer that can go under the action screw head (or trigger guard plate) to make up for the stock compression. I prefer doing that over shortening screws.

A Perma Blue Touchup Pen can address the cosmetic issue. I find it works better with a second pass/coat.

Greg

I was actually thinking about how I might be able to employ washers in my stock. Glad I came back to this thread!