• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scratched up bullet when chambering?

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
I just got my RRA Predator Pursuit AR the other day. All I did was clean it normally with a bore guide.

today I was leading up some rounds for it for a upcoming trip and noticed that the bullet is being scratched up pretty bad when chambering a dummy round. The scratches are the same on multiple dummy rounds and is in front of the ogive.

I don't have a bore inspector, so can't look down there. What are the possibilities of what is wrong?

Re: Scratched up bullet when chambering?

are you catching the rifling? if so, its nothing more than your bullets seated out far enough to get into the lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you catching the rifling? if so, its nothing more than your bullets seated out far enough to get into the lands. </div></div>

these are loaded at mag length. Tried both PMAGs and USGI

5847537969_96a210aeb3_b.jpg

They look like they could be getting scratched off a sharp edge on the feed ramp, can you feel any sharp edges with your finger? If so you can try polishing it out with a demmel tool,
Either way, they don't look bad enough in your photo to hurt anything, they are well in front of the lands so won't be making contact with your rifling.

I'm sure someone else here more familiar with AR's might be able to help more
smile.gif

Just experienced the same thing, but much worse with my POF. 308.
It is caused by the bullet passing over the sharp machined edges of the barrel extension lugs on the way to the chamber. I tried polishing the ramp with Dremel and Cratex only to realize it was still occuring. After much polishing at the two lower lugs in the extension, I have reduced the problem from gouges to slight scratches.
Try this, I think you'll fix it.