• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scratches on brass and bullet from feeding

rommel500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
SLO,CA
I just picked up my new GAP .260 this last weekend and I loaded up some dummy rounds and my brass and bullets are getting scratched when loading from the magazine. I can't tell if its from the feed ramp or from the mag itself. Anybody else had this issue? Its a badger dbm in a manners stock.

Re: Scratches on brass and bullet from feeding

Not sure what mags you are using, but all of my AICS mags leave longitudinal scratches in my brass as the mag lips drag along the brass during chambering.

same here.. I had myself all worked up after my last range trip until I figured it out and said, "duh.."

Two words, OP: cotton batting.

I forgot to mention, its a templar action using AICS mags.

Here are some pics of the brass, I just tried loading again several times and you can see how the scratches accumulate. I marked it with a sharpie so its easier to see.

Also it seems if I load a new round slowly from the mag the bullet tip runs into the feed ramp. If I rack it hard it seems to go right over that.

If its the mag, do I bend the feed lips outward?

IMG_20121128_184917.jpg

IMG_20121128_194422.jpg

I would say don't bend the feed lips but rather break the sharp edge on the feed lips. This can be done with a small file or a stone.

I had this same problem with 2 of my R700s. Everyone is correct the feed lips on the mag were causing that. Took a stone and polished the edges down, all is fine now.

Like the others have said, if you want to get rid of the marks, polish the edges of the feed lips. Do not bend the feed lips if the mags are already feeding correctly. This will cause the rounds to sit higher and the spring pressure may cause feed problems or cause the top round of a full mag to pop out (happened to me on one mag with the feed lips too far "out").

Anybody have some before and after pics of modifying their mags?

Do all AI mags do this? I searched around and barely see a mention about it.

You arent truly modifying the magazine, you are just buffing down the sharp edges scratching your brass.

If you want to call them and have them send you a new one, go crazy. I myself would wait for them to send me a new one. I would take 10 mins and polish the edges (again, which a lot of us in this thread have done before).

But, at the end of the day, its YOUR gear. So run with the knowledge you have been imparted.