• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scratches on Brass

UNRL Ghandi

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
Maryland
I've noticed scratches on my brass. Picture below:

DSC_5951_zps21366cb7.jpg

I combed through some threads on here and didn't find what I was looking for, so I wanted to find out from you guys if I'm doing something wrong because this has happened twice now with an RCBS .308 full length die and now my Redding small based full length sizer die.

I tumble brass, spray down with Hornady One Shot case lube, wait a couple minutes, then run it through my dies on my Forster press. I typically clean the inside of my dies after each reloading session. But even in doing so, I'm still getting scratches on my brass and inside my dies.

I'm assuming I'm getting some of the media on the cases and when I run it through the die it's scratching the inside of the die. Could that be the issue? Anyone else run into this and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Appreciate any help here.

Re: Scratches on Brass

Do you wipe down your cases after tumbling? I'm wondering if you are getting the scratches from media dust....????

I don't wipe down after tumbling. I was guessing the scratches were the result of media debris and figured I was missing this step in my process.

Any tricks on how to clean them down after tumbling other than with a towel and doing them each by hand? I do this after sizing to get the lube off and it's a pain since I usually do my case prep a hundred or more at a time.

If you have the rolling type slotted cage for separating the media from cases after tumbling them, you can put some pieces of towell inside with the cases after the media runs out.

If you don't have that cage, use a pillow case and put the pieces of towell inside and roll them around for a little while. The pieces of towell will wipe the cases down pretty well.

A last idea is a large towell soaked with rubbing alcohol. Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the alcohol. Put a bunch of cases inside the towell, close it up, and rub the cases from the outside of the towell. You can do cases in batches, and the alcohol works really well at getting any oils and/or media residue off the outside of the cases. Plus the alcohol dries off really fast.

I use a media separator basket to also wash the brass post media using the same basket in a tub.

deprime
tumble
separate media
coffee can
hand lube
resize
wash brass (STILL lots of internal media settles inside of tub) *mostly to clean neck of internal lube
dry (forced air ho-made gizmo)
inspect flash hole with a air gun handy
load

What kind of media you using? Case lube is a glue/magnet for any crap in process. In the bag method; it takes everything inside brass that falls lose and sticks it outside brass. I still use the slower gel-in-pad method. Even after whiping the pad, it needs to be "shaved" periodically.

You just need to experiment in some process change.

If you have grit on your brass and inadequate lube you can get brass starting to build up in your die as deposits or bumps. Once started the more you size the bigger the deposits get and the deeper the scratches.

I've had it happen once when running new brass through a die to round out the case mouths. Cleaned die with copper solvent and then flitz on a patch around a tight fitting bore mop.

Clean your dies with a good strong copper remover, ie bore solvent, IMHO what your seeing is the effects of lack of lube, brass has sheared off and is embedded inside the die, One Shot is a fine lube, but how you apply it is the key with it, put your brass in a large zip lock bag, hose'm down for 10 seconds, seal the bag and roll the cases around inside to ensure complete coverage.

I just reread the opener. I believe your dies are just fine. They are not scratched at all, they just have brads deposits started. A thorough cleaning will get them back to new condition.

Fyi if you take out your decapping stem and look through the die toward a light you will see the deposits. If you have a dental pick the larger deposits can be popped loose from the die wall.

If you are working in an area with a cement floor, don't overlook the possibility of cement dust. It is high abrasive, and who would suspect it? Well, after some trial and error...ME. If your dies are scratched, polishing them out will fix that. A little 600 grit paper on a snug fitting dowel will clean them up; a lathe helps immensely.

I've had scratched brass. I blamed it on the concrete or gravel the brass landed in/on at the range. I believe the tiny gravel bits mad its way onto the brass even though I tumbled it.

I took the Die apart and ran some jb bore compound around the inside of it, dislodging the foreign matter. Real easy chucked up in a drill on a piece of cloth I forgot what I wrapped the cloth on just make sure it won't push threw the cloth and scratch your die.

After that I always washed my brass after tumbling. Plain old Dawn dish soap works fine. The corncob media leaves a bunch of residue on the brass anyways. The cleaner washed brass runs through the dies easier.

I never had a scratched piece after I started to wash it.

Since then I started using the stainless steel media I guess I've ran about 10,000 pieces not a single scratch on any of it.

Best of luck

Plus one for Stainless Steel media or Ultrasonic cleaning method.

Just a crazy idea, but is your gun an H&K or clone, perhaps? If so, that might be the problem. The H&K guns put even ridges in the brass.

Thanks gents, I really appreciate the responses. I'm definitely going to start cleaning my brass after tumbling and I'm going to check into the stainless media. I currently use the corn cob media in my tumbler and it's getting dirty (probably over using it). I tried to clean the die with the Bore Tech stuff GA Precision recommends in their break-in/cleaning instructions, but it didn't work. I can see the marks inside the die, but can't tell if they're ridges or grooves. I'm going to get some good cooper remover and see if I can't get it clean.

Again, thanks for your help. Everything I've learned about reloading/long range shooting has come from reading the threads here on the Hide and getting out and putting it to practice. Shot Expert in my 2nd 600 yard match this season (was testing my AR10 the first match) and hit my best 10 shot string in the third and final match (99x8). Also, got my two brothers and a good friend into it. So, I do appreciate it.

all my brass is scratches but still hold powder just fine and feed just as good as new one, the recycling guy don't care either.

99 8x hell yeah!!! Try that jb compound it works trust me something is embedded on the die surface copper remover won't remove it IMHO. It might take a bit to get get it out. I'm still getting 198 11x and some cleans on rapid fire strings with these dies. It's worth giving it a shot if the copper remover doesn't work. I think my dies are fine.

Thanks 2clicks. I'll look for some jb compound. I ordered another die in the mean time and hopefully the jb will work and I'll just have a back-up, or an extra to give to my brother once he breaks down and gets a press and stops making me reload all his ammo for him.
grin.gif

198 11x is what the guys I can't beat shoot. Nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean your dies with a good strong copper remover, ie bore solvent, IMHO what your seeing is the effects of lack of lube, brass has sheared off and is embedded inside the die, One Shot is a fine lube, but how you apply it is the key with it, put your brass in a large zip lock bag, hose'm down for 10 seconds, seal the bag and roll the cases around inside to ensure complete coverage. </div></div>+!
Wipeout or copperzilla left to soak.
Then run a stout nylon brass off a rechargeable drill through die with the copper remover still in. Clean out
Then run a really light smear of mothers on a rag with the rechargeable on an old dead brush.

Left some jb compound in the die and then hit it with a nylon brush. Cleaned it right up. Thanks for the advice guys!

Chuck a brass brush in a drill motor and take a short length of 2000 grit wet or dry paper (think auto paint supply shop) and wrap the paper around the brush to make a relatively firm fit into the die. Wet down with light oil or bore cleaner and buff the inside of the die. Clean well and lube the inside before beginning to process more brass.

"IMHO what your seeing is the effects of lack of lube, "

Yep. It's the result of galled bits of brass on the die wall due to insufficent lube and has nothing to do with any media,

I started a new process for applying the lube per 427Cobra's ziplock bag advice and haven't had a problem since. Appreciate all the feedback guys.

Beat me to it.
I ran into the same problem years ago with
the scratches on my 300 w/m dies. I used Sweets Solvent followed by Hoppes 9, followed by 90% alcohol just to be sure.
It solved my problem but be careful with the Sweets, it's harsh and you have to remove any excess. Just my personel
experience with this problem.

I chuck a bore mop in a drill. Then use flitz polish. A few minutes with that and your die will be really clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"IMHO what your seeing is the effects of lack of lube, "

Yep. It's the result of galled bits of brass on the die wall due to insufficent lube and has nothing to do with any media, </div></div>

I'm not one to argue with the Fuzz, but the brass shavings are coming from your case mouth.

The easiest way to avoid this is to chamfer and deburr new brass first, before it is sized, not needed with Lapua brass though.

All the lube in the world will not stop your expander ball from pulling these shavings out of the brass and into your die.
I've galled more than one die not doing this.
And I don't care what you use to clean the die, sandpaper, flitz, you are removing material from the inside of the die.
Unless it is coming clean with solvents, but even there the scratches are still in the die body.

It is a lot easier to stop it before it starts, than to have to cleanup. And Remington brass is the absolute worst.