• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scratching my head on this one

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I just pulled some brass out of my tumbler and started sorting the 40S&W brass to load a new batch. This will be the third time they've been loaded. I measured the whole batch before I shot them last time and I'm damn near positive the brass all measured between .840 and .850. Now, a significant portion of the brass is measuring about .835-7. I don't get it. Did my brass really lose length during the firing process? Should I throw all that brass away or just load the short brass?

Re: Scratching my head on this one

Straight wall brass doesn't "grow" like bottle neck brass. It "settles", watch for thinning at the top if anything.

Shoot away merrily.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just pulled some brass out of my tumbler and started sorting the 40S&W brass to load a new batch. This will be the third time they've been loaded. I measured the whole batch before I shot them last time and I'm damn near positive the brass all measured between .840 and .850. Now, a significant portion of the brass is measuring about .835-7. I don't get it. Did my brass really lose length during the firing process? Should I throw all that brass away or just load the short brass? </div></div>
When you measured them before tumbling they had a slightly frayed edge from being sized , chamfered , tapered , crimped , fired . During tumbling that edge is pounded back down a bit and they measure shorter. After a few reloads a small amount of brass can be lost from the mouth of pistol cases more so than a rifle case. So as time goes on they can shorten a bit because low pressure pistol cases in general don't flow brass forward as much as rifle cases can.

When the brass expands to the chamber, during firing, It will get shorter & fatter.

Thanks for the help. I learn something new every day.