• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Screw Harley

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    The brand has been jumping the shark for some time but surrendering to Europe?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/harley...tion-overseas-to-offset-eu-tariffs-1529927301

This probably has some to do with their Comintern controlled UAW association but Harley can eat a dick. The upper level management must be making a decision that stabbing America in the back will not hurt their bottom line.

Ive been out of the motorcycle game since the kids came along but I understand Harley now is reluctant to service/provide parts for older models and while it has always been an "image" marketer it now eschews the idea of the independent capable operator/mechanic owner and embraced the customer that doesn't own a wrench and is expected to trade in every 2 years for a new bike.

I have a 74 Sportster and a 96 Road King. Carburetors are where it is at and being able to change my own gaskets/work on the motor is the way to go. Shovels, Pans and Knuckles are rarely seen these days as fewer owners know how to service them.

Now they are going to ship jobs overseas because the Euroweasel is now their core target type of customer.

They drape themselves in the flag just for the purpose of wiping their ass with it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: XLR308 and Basher
    fucking spineless pussies......bikers are some of the most patriotic people i know, they wont take kindly to an iconicly american company selling out.

To play the devils advocate, they arent closing plants here, just adding them else where to produce for local demand. No shipping, no storage, no tariffs, better wage rates likely. I read that the new tariffs would add 2K to the price of a lot of the bikes. If the market is softening here, and they certainly didnt create the situation that caused the tariffs, and its keeps them afloat, sounds like good business to me.

Illl admit I couldnt read the whole article cause I wont pay so there may be some I didnt see...

Who said investors understand the businesses they invest in? They just want it to go UP. I am not defending or attacking what they're doing. I'm just telling you I read about this last year. The fake news is rolling it out because the EU specifically targeted Harley by name. You are getting mad at Harley, and their target market is getting mad at Trump, but this is old news simply recycled for their purposes. It's really not anything more than lies that these things are connected. Trump Derangement Syndrome explains it.

1 year ago Harley eyes overseas plants

Reactions: RNWRKNP and jrassy
    Who said investors understand the businesses they invest in? They just want it to go UP. I am not defending or attacking what they're doing. I'm just telling you I read about this last year. The fake news is rolling it out because the EU specifically targeted Harley by name. You are getting mad at Harley, and their target market is getting mad at Trump, but this is old news simply recycled for their purposes. It's really not anything more than lies that these things are connected. Trump Derangement Syndrome explains it.

1 year ago Harley eyes overseas plants

Mr. Akaravech’s most expensive Harley, a custom 2013 Road Glide, cost roughly $60,000, thanks in part to Thailand’s high tariffs. In the United States, the same model retails for just over half that amount. (The Thailand plant would assemble lower-cost motorcycles.)

where is the media on the truth of the tariff situation.

From the reporting of it you would think every othr country has free open trade and until Trump came along there was no national market protection.

Every other country has tariffs and from what little I have seen they are almost all aimed at protecting themselves from our products and our politicians allowed this.

Harley owes its existence to a tariff.

I agree building overseas on its own isnt a bad thing, we like Honda plants in Alabama, but reducing the production of 40K units here will result in loss of jobs here while at the same time under cutting the pressure our trade negotiators are trying to apply to force tarif reduction on our products shipped overseas.

Well the alternative is Indian, which is a POS Polaris product, so...

The new Indian motor is interesting. At least its an in house product not an after market HD design.

Friend is a long time HD owner bought an Indian for a short while and sold it. Still has his Harleys but fact he sold tells me something and Ill have to ask him about it.

I fully admit to not being a motorcycle guy, but I have nothing bad to say about our Polaris sportsman 4wheeler. Sits in a garage for months but cranks imidiately. Never stuck it, even in the swamp we deer hunt. Genuinely curious, what’s the nock on them? I’m about to be in the market for a second 4wheeler...

I fully admit to not being a motorcycle guy, but I have nothing bad to say about our Polaris sportsman 4wheeler. Sits in a garage for months but cranks imidiately. Never stuck it, even in the swamp we deer hunt. Genuinely curious, what’s the nock on them? I’m about to be in the market for a second 4wheeler...
    Well you should rent a Can-Am or a Yamaha. The quality is night and day if you ask me. And it isn't the "drive train" per-se. It is the operatiion of little things. Fit and finish. Less noise and vibration. There is just a feel of quality. When I was in the market for a SxS the only option for a 50 inch was polaris. Gave up a Yamaha ATV. My RZR being 8 years newer than my Yamaha was feels like it is 15 years older. My dad is a huge Polaris fan and his ATVs have worked well. But they make weird noises and fit/finish sucks.

I don't know about the atv's as much, all I can say is, on the hard trails here in S. Indiana, Honda rules for a reason and the other brands are often seen broken down. In government work where dependability is important I see that Honda ATV's usually get the contract. I have friends who severely neglect their foremans and old fourtrax's and they keep on ticking. Hondas are simple to work on, practical designs, and great dealer support compared to other brands.

The real knock on Polaris in terms of motorcycles is they ran Victory into the ground. Indian is headed that way. If I'm on a cross-country trip, I'd take my RoadKing any day because I can usually find parts every 100 miles. I realize Harley isn't what it once was, much prefer the looks of my '96 to the newer bikes, but I definitely don't like the looks of the new Indians - they just look cheap. I do like the early 2000's though. But good luck finding parts...

Is Harley today super-awesome without flaws? No, but try to find anything better for the price...

Well you should rent a Can-Am or a Yamaha. The quality is night and day if you ask me. And it isn't the "drive train" per-se. It is the operatiion of little things. Fit and finish. Less noise and vibration. There is just a feel of quality. When I was in the market for a SxS the only option for a 50 inch was polaris. Gave up a Yamaha ATV. My RZR being 8 years newer than my Yamaha was feels like it is 15 years older. My dad is a huge Polaris fan and his ATVs have worked well. But they make weird noises and fit/finish sucks.

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t heard any weird noises out of mine, but I will keep an ear to the ground. Really, I like the muted purr the engine makes on idle. I have a buddy that is a HUGE Yamaha bike fanatic and he recommended the Polaris 4wheeler over the Yamaha. Well what he said was, if you want an all out sport ride, buy a Yamaha. If you are looking for a farm work horse, buy a Honda. If you want an all around sport/utility go with the Polaris. That said, I’ve really been eying the can am, and the price differencial is not much-if any.

Lifelong Harley guy that lives in Wisconsin. In my opinion they screwed themselves after pushing up prices following their 100th anniversary. When a road bike hit and crossed the $30k mark it limited their customer base. We haven't seen young riders in S.E. Wisconsin these past few years. Mostly just us gray beards.

I have a Harley and have had a few over the years. This will be my last one and I will look at other brands when/if I get another two wheeler.

That has more to do with the battery.

I have a Harley and have had a few over the years. This will be my last one and I will look at other brands when/if I get another two wheeler.

Buy a used shovel or better a Pan. Dream would be Knuckle but if you are going to ride hard and put it away wet you cant beat an EVO particularly a first year 85/86. I think Harley out did itself 85/86 in those EVO motors, realized they built something you didnt need to dick with so they detuned them to suck later purchasers into buying after market gear.

Ill stick with Harley just dont go new.

Wrong. The alternarive is literally any other brand out there that makes motorcycles.

I'll admit I'm not a cruiser guy. I've ridden a few, but fail to see the appeal. I was raised on sportbikes and don't see myself straying from that vein any time soon. When I can buy a sport touring bike with all the fancy doodads and accessories for less than half the cost of a Harley and get just as many miles out of it while still being just as comfortable and having the ability to carve serious corners (like bikes were designed to do), then that's what I'll do. Why would I want to pay an additional $15-20k just for the "tough old guy" image that follows Harley around? I'll pass.

Reactions: Supersubes
    To play the devils advocate, they arent closing plants here, just adding them else where to produce for local demand. No shipping, no storage, no tariffs, better wage rates likely. I read that the new tariffs would add 2K to the price of a lot of the bikes. If the market is softening here, and they certainly didnt create the situation that caused the tariffs, and its keeps them afloat, sounds like good business to me.

Illl admit I couldnt read the whole article cause I wont pay so there may be some I didnt see...

This was my thought on it too.

On that note, Hardleys are garbage motorcycles. I wouldn’t buy one at any price.

While Harley was cleaning up it's image and selling overpriced POS's to doctors and lawyers the crotch rocket became the rebels' motorcycle. Real 'bikers' ride rice burners now. A Goldwing has more street 'cred than a Fat Boy.

Wow. You know, there are REAL outlaw MCs riding around still?

Fully. And I stand by my statement.

The number of MCs is dropping fast. Harley is selling motorcycles to mom and pop at an exponential rate compared to punks joining MCs. Harley would pay millions to separate themselves from the "outlaw" MCs and is doing it now with their marketing. Doctors and lawyers spend way more on their Harley' than entire clubs.

While Harley was cleaning up it's image and selling overpriced POS's to doctors and lawyers the crotch rocket became the rebels' motorcycle. Real 'bikers' ride rice burners now. A Goldwing has more street 'cred than a Fat Boy.

If I were still riding Id go Rice or BMW. They make a fine bike.

Lifelong Harley guy that lives in Wisconsin. In my opinion they screwed themselves after pushing up prices following their 100th anniversary. When a road bike hit and crossed the $30k mark it limited their customer base. We haven't seen young riders in S.E. Wisconsin these past few years. Mostly just us gray beards.

i was going to buy a new harley in the 90s... then i said, im too cool to look like the rest of the fag base that was buying their bikes.
    every fat body and weirdo that wanted to feel cool bought one of those mother fuckers, riding around having bike shows so they could stroke each other off while, standing next to their bikes. gheyer than a bag of dicks...

fuck them

in a couple years when its time for me to go rouge, i think ill do it in a cobra 427, with just enough room for my rifles in the spare seat

Just make sure it matches the paint on the car. Wouldn't want it to clash.

I say put some pooter in the spare seat...she can hold the rifles. :)

I own a lot of bikes. I actually ride them too. Average 25 to 35 k miles per year on bikes. Harley Davidson's are the most reliable bikes I have ever owned by far. Period. Anyone that says different does not ride one, is a liar or just. Stupid pos that parrots a bunch of power ranger costume wearing fairys. So shut the duck up.

Having said that Harley fucked up bigly. The Indians are beautiful machines.

Reactions: XLR308 and Bender
    fuck the pooter in the seat
    im out all rouge and shit, and the last thing i want to hear is, do we have to listen to ac dc again and so loud
    my hair is all flying all over
    i told you before, i dont like doing do nutz
    fuck that, seats empty w some rifles

HD overseas market is going to be 50% of their business, the US market dropped 12% last year. It’s business, get over it. That said I haven’t cared for HD since it went electric start, to many pussies bought them after that. Then when they made Elton john their headline act at their 100th anniversary, cheesus rice!!!!

I rode with (never prospected for) a non-outlaw chapter of The Southern Riders. There were guys who did not have a Harley, but that was always the goal. I went to their regional jamboree, and discovered that the chapter I was with was the only non-outlaw chapter in the North East. It seemed like they were populated with more older carrear criminals and few young punks (this is 20+ years ago, and why there may be fewer of them).

I used to ride from VA Beach to Jacksonville like it was nothing. If I did that on a crotch rocked I would be pretty shaky and beat up by the end of
    i was going to buy a new harley in the 90s... then i said, im too cool to look like the rest of the fag base that was buying their bikes.
    every fat body and weirdo that wanted to feel cool bought one of those mother fuckers, riding around having bike shows so they could stroke each other off while, standing next to their bikes. gheyer than a bag of dicks...

fuck them

in a couple years when its time for me to go rouge, i think ill do it in a cobra 427, with just enough room for my rifles in the spare seat
    Like mine?
    C8973423-40E2-4130-B09C-09709F538154.jpeg

Wrong. The alternarive is literally any other brand out there that makes motorcycles.

I'll admit I'm not a cruiser guy. I've ridden a few, but fail to see the appeal. I was raised on sportbikes and don't see myself straying from that vein any time soon. When I can buy a sport touring bike with all the fancy doodads and accessories for less than half the cost of a Harley and get just as many miles out of it while still being just as comfortable and having the ability to carve serious corners (like bikes were designed to do), then that's what I'll do. Why would I want to pay an additional $15-20k just for the "tough old guy" image that follows Harley around? I'll pass.

Some examples of real-world alternatives would be great, but I have yet to find the perfect bike. It's great that you enjoy riding weedeaters with wheels, but some of us take 1,000+ mile trips. I'll take the air-ride suspension on my used RK (which I spent exactly $5500 for) on 90% of the roads I ride on.

I rode with (never prospected for) a non-outlaw chapter of The Southern Riders. There were guys who did not have a Harley, but that was always the goal. I went to their regional jamboree, and discovered that the chapter I was with was the only non-outlaw chapter in the North East. It seemed like they were populated with more older carrear criminals and few young punks (this is 20+ years ago, and why there may be fewer of them).

I used to ride from VA Beach to Jacksonville like it was nothing. If I did that on a crotch rocked I would be pretty shaky and beat up by the end of

Like mine?
    View attachment 6916268

thats it

If Harleys are no longer made in the USA, will that mean that only older Harleys made in the USA will be acceptable to the biker groups?

Some examples of real-world alternatives would be great, but I have yet to find the perfect bike. It's great that you enjoy riding weedeaters with wheels, but some of us take 1,000+ mile trips. I'll take the air-ride suspension on my used RK (which I spent exactly $5500 for) on 90% of the roads I ride on.

LULZ.

I ride a 2003 (first gen) Yamaha FZ1. Well worth the price of admission. Sportbike performance with real-world ergos. I can power wheelie all day long, drag a knee, and still be friends with my lower back and butt at the end of the day, all with 150bhp, easy 160mph+, and 46mpg (but not those last two at the same time, haha). It's no weedeater...

Plenty of other bikes exist that fill that roll. I'm also riding a Concour14 while I finish up some work on my FZ1. That drops me to 38mpg, but again, tons of torque, knee dragging ability, plenty of storage space, and all-day comfort.

Personal preferences will differ, but I see absolutely no reason to ever own a big bore cruiser that drags pegs if you lean it over more than 20*.

Reactions: Bender
    Meh... it’s just business. The market here is growing old for them. Overseas they are just beginning. I think this is just a tool being used by the MSM. Look at who is pushing the idea. This didn’t happen overnight, this was in the works probably before the election. I don’t even own a Harley, although I would love an Street glide. I love any motorcycle, anything with wheels and a motor really. But just look at who is pushing the story, Trump had nothing to do with this decision. Don’t be so quick to fall into the trap LOL. But yes, I totally agree with you above about the gay crowd of the 90s and the OCC chopper builders with handlebar mustaches and stretched out penis bikes with attitudes bigger than their IQ. I hate biker mentality. I just like the motorcycles.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    The best thing I saw yesterday was Trump on record stating that there doesnt have to be a trade war unless the rest of the world brings one on.

He flat out stated that he has told all trading partners that he will remove all trade tariffs when they do same and those trade partners deserted the room like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Where is the actual data to show tariffs we pay vs tariffs we impose?

Our media will never report it because I think it will show that we are being taken advantage of in order to fund the worlds socialist utopian dreams.

Reactions: Bender and Mwalex
    LULZ.

I ride a 2003 (first gen) Yamaha FZ1. Well worth the price of admission. Sportbike performance with real-world ergos. I can power wheelie all day long, drag a knee, and still be friends with my lower back and butt at the end of the day, all with 150bhp, easy 160mph+, and 46mpg (but not those last two at the same time, haha). It's no weedeater...

Plenty of other bikes exist that fill that roll. I'm also riding a Concour14 while I finish up some work on my FZ1. That drops me to 38mpg, but again, tons of torque, knee dragging ability, plenty of storage space, and all-day comfort.

Personal preferences will differ, but I see absolutely no reason to ever own a big bore cruiser that drags pegs if you lean it over more than 20*.

It depends on where you set your pegs... definitely personal preference. Can't remember the last time I was over 90, I have no need to ride wheelies, drag knees, polly an ollie or any of that stuff that makes me look like a douche on the road.

Reactions: Redmanss
    It depends on where you set your pegs... definitely personal preference. Can't remember the last time I was over 90, I have no need to ride wheelies, drag knees, polly an ollie or any of that stuff that makes me look like a douche on the road.

Yep, to each his own. :) For the record, I'm not dragging knee on the road, and wheelies are kept to an absolute minimum (don't need the tickets or the expense of repairing/replacing the bike if I screw it up). That sort of stuff is best kept on the track or on empty back roads away from other traffic. But having a bike capable of doing all of that generally means it's a responsive ride, which is really what I'm after. Quick, light, neutral steering, balanced suspension, the ability to power out of bad situations or away from stupid drivers, and to have some fun in the canyons/twisties.

Also, when everyone else is doing 80-85, 90 is just fast enough to move into and out of blind spots without hesitating in them. ;)

People dont buy Harley for technology.

All it has is Made in USA and history.

What Wall Street wants is going to reduce what it hopes to produce.

No shit, that's it --USA and history. They better watch their asses, because they are a lot more like Colt and the AR than they are anything else. Sure, Colt is American and has history. But how many others build a better rifle? How common are aftermarket parts?

But honestly, 90% of the bikes and bike riders I see ARE the buy it, trade it in type that would never touch their bike.