• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Screw size to mount a base

EngineeringTheShot

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2011
Kentucky
I hate to do nothing but ask questions here I am just very new the this. I have bought my rifle (Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD in 308) and my scope (SWFA SS 3-9x42), now I am looking to buy my base and rings. I have done some research and decided to go with Seekins Precision unless somebody has some info that I haven't found about them. My question now is what size screws do I need? SWFA has the Seekins base with both a 6-48 and 8-40 size screws, which is better for my rifle or in general? If anyone can set me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Cotton

Re: Screw size to mount a base

6-48 unless the holes in your receiver have been opened up to 8-40.

If there was only one upgrade I could do to a factory gun it would be the conversion of the mount screw size from 6-48 to 8-40. This is purely subjective, I have no hard facts that it is necessary but I like the idea of a heavier fastener, especially if one is using higher end optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 6-48 unless the holes in your receiver have been opened up to 8-40.</div></div>

+1. If you have a factory rifle that hasn't been worked on then you need the 6-48 screws. I think the only actions that use the 8-40 are "custom" so-to-speak or if you had a smith open the holes up and re-thread them. Too bad that back in the day someone thought that the 6-48 was a good idea because they were wrong. Not that these have a tendency to shear off if installed properly, its just that the 6-48 screw/thread size is totally obscure everywhere else but in guns/smithing. I wish that all the manufacturers would just get together and decide to go to the 8-40.