• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Screwed up scope mount threads on new Remington

RickR

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
Upstate NY
Hello,
I picked up a Remington 700 at Dick's Sporting Goods on their Black Friday Deal. When I tried to install a scope mount, 2 of the 4 scope mounting holes were screwed up. The threads were OK to the depth of the receiver plug screws, but the mounting screws would not go past that depth.

I tried forcing the screws in, and buggered up the screw threads. I finally tracked down a tap the correct size and fixed things, but I am kind of annoyed. I have to admit that I did not call Remington and give them a chance to fix this, so I can't complain about their customer service, but their quality control leaves something to be desired.

There were enough threads in the damaged holes to get the tap started aligned with the existing threads. On one hole the tap only needed to cut a tiny obstruction out. On the other, there was a significant amount of work to be done.

Just curious how others would have handled it?

Regards,
Rick

P.S. I put this in Scopes instead of Gunsmithing because it was related to scope mounting.

Re: Screwed up scope mount threads on new Remington

Misaligned and/or damaged screw holes are not that uncommon for a production rifle, which is why most people have theirs opened up to 8-40.

How would I have handled it?

I probably wouldn't have tried to force any of the screws in, as you found out that rarely works out. I probably would've done as you did and get a 6-48 tap to chase the threads and make everything good again. I see it as the cheapest and easiest option compared to dealing with Remington CS, the store it was purchased from, or trying to find a gunsmith that has the free time. In the end it sounds like a case of problem solved, problem staying solved.

A tap and handle for it is cheaper and faster than shipping it back. I had to fix a Savage for similar reasons.

Running a tap down each hole, and checking the fit is where I would start. If the holes were lined up, and aligned with the barrel, I would leave it at that or drill and tap oversize to 8-40.

s