• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing SD/WY Prairie Doggin?

exx1976

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2012
Central WI
Has anyone here ever gone out prairie doggin in western SD/eastern WY? Myself and a couple friends are wanting to do this. We're planning to take ARs and .308's. But, we don't have a clue how to get started. We'll be driving from Central WI (Madison area), and would appreciate any info anyone has as far as areas to go, a guide if we need one, etc etc. Not even sure how to get started.

Thanks!!

Been a few years but the last time I was out I stayed in Winner. The hardware store had a list of farmers and ranchers in the area that you could call and hunt for free, not sure if they still do this or not. If not the Rosebud Reservation is just 20 miles or so west and loaded with rats but you will need an Indian guide. License fees were $50 or more and guide were above the $100 mark. For more info try the Winner hotels some of them offer guide service. Hope this helps.

You may want to wait for another month or so to decide on where to go, for one the prairie dogs got hit really hard last year in WY and we'll have to see how the populations are this spring, on top of that who knows where they will come back and who is willing to share. See most guys who have a good spot rarely ever tell anyone but there very best buddies. Second you don't need a guide unless you really want to pay for one and that go's along with paying to hunt private grounds, which I have nothing against if you got the cash. No idea for SD, only hunted pheasants there.
If you get into'em you'll have a blast! Make sure you and your buddies keep score...extra points for getting them airborn and poppers.

We quit Winner a few years ago, everything has been leased by "outfitters" fee range from 300-500 per gun per day. Plague and just overgunning has hurt that area. Most ranchers want a tresspass fee to shoot on them if they have not leased out. Many of those ranchers used to spend money to poison out those towns with little luck and now want a fee for you to shoot them, Guess that is OK, Pay for Play. Once a town is shot at they get educated real quick, Last time out we saw dogs go to the hole from 1/2 mile away at the sight of a Pickup. If you have never shot them in any numbers, it is the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on...

Well, we are planning on going the second weekend in May. There will be three of us, and our budget is $450 per guy, not including fuel or ammo. We would like to hunt two days, Saturday and Sunday.

That $450 must include lodging, as well as any fees/guides/etc. Meals will be on the cheap - bag lunches in the field, corner diner or fast food for dinner.

Is that even a realistic number? We just sort of pulled it out of our asses...

Thanks!

Well, we are planning on going the second weekend in May. There will be three of us, and our budget is $450 per guy, not including fuel or ammo. We would like to hunt two days, Saturday and Sunday.

That $450 must include lodging, as well as any fees/guides/etc. Meals will be on the cheap - bag lunches in the field, corner diner or fast food for dinner.

Is that even a realistic number? We just sort of pulled it out of our asses...

Thanks!

2nd week of May is a little early for any good shooting. Weather is still too unpredictable at that time. Could be raining or cloudy which really have about the same effect on shooting. He'll could even be snowing, you just never know. I would wait until at least mid June or first part of July to be honest. They love sunshine and the heat which July is usually full of. As others have said, the population has gone WAY down in the last few years and the best thing would be to wait until early June/July for some population reports from people rather than drive all that way for nothing.

Seriously? Mid May wouldn't be warm? Still snowing?! Weather.com only goes out to the end of april, but it lists average temps on April 30 as 66 degrees. ??

It may not be warm and sunny enough for good p dog shooting. They really like lots of sunshine and warm weather. More sunshine than anything really. We have been known to have some pretty crappy weather in May and into June. Hell I've seen in snow a few inches in late May. Not very common but it has happened.

Some things you may have to do for yourself. You may even have to read through the Thread.

LOL! I did read through it. While your shots are commendable.. It's not really informative. Do I need a guide? Who is a good one? Should I hunt public land or Indian land? Where to stay?

LOL! I did read through it. While your shots are commendable.. It's not really informative. Do I need a guide? Who is a good one? Should I hunt public land or Indian land? Where to stay?
Some things cannot be taught or explained, private land can be expensive, but not as expensive as indian land, could cost up to a rifle and/or truck. The rest of your questions seem like personal preference.
If you really are as clueless as you say, perhaps a book or magazine might help, or some kind of prairie dog coloring book.

Also, one of the main reasons not to shoot before may; the pups are still being born and or weened, so killing one may kill six. Thus making next year a poorer season.

Some things cannot be taught or explained, private land can be expensive, but not as expensive as indian land, could cost up to a rifle and/or truck. The rest of your questions seem like personal preference.
If you really are as clueless as you say, perhaps a book or magazine might help, or some kind of prairie dog coloring book.

Also, one of the main reasons not to shoot before may; the pups are still being born and or weened, so killing one may kill six. Thus making next year a poorer season.

Really? A coloring book? That's your advice? I'm new here, so I'm going to assume you're joking, and you're not really as much of a dick as that made you sound...

As for Indian land - it will cost me an indian hunting license and perhaps a guide, not a truck or a gun. I've read a LOT about the topic, but it all sounds like propoganda, and I was hoping for opinions of experienced hunters. I don't suppose you have any useful insight to offer aside from their mating habits?

Really? A coloring book? That's your advice? I'm new here, so I'm going to assume you're joking, and you're not really as much of a dick as that made you sound...

As for Indian land - it will cost me an indian hunting license and perhaps a guide, not a truck or a gun. I've read a LOT about the topic, but it all sounds like propoganda, and I was hoping for opinions of experienced hunters. I don't suppose you have any useful insight to offer aside from their mating habits?

Coldbore is right on the pups as well. Contrary to popular belief, prairie dogs only have one litter if pups a year so killing a mother early on in the season is a great way to really thin out a town but terrible for keeping a town populated enough to sustain good shooting over the years.

Coldbore is right on the pups as well. Contrary to popular belief, prairie dogs only have one litter if pups a year so killing a mother early on in the season is a great way to really thin out a town but terrible for keeping a town populated enough to sustain good shooting over the years.

I did acknowledge his mating habit info was useful insight.. :) So, when should we be thinking about going then? Is this really more of a June/July thing? We had really hoped for before memorial day, but if that's not a reality, then so be it..

Are you a member of Long Range Hunting . com. It's more geared toward hunting, and especially out west. Join, and throw this out to them.
With the time constraints and budget, you'll just about need someone, or a guide to take you where you want to go, if you want any shooting time at all.
Western SD, WY, Montana are a little different than where you're coming from, there's just not a road every mile, thousands of acres of land are unviewable from a road, so you need an "in".
You're best bet would be to come out this way, spend time looking and meeting land owners with P-dogs, and develope some relationship for the next year. I'd steer clear of the Indian stuff, and really wouldn't pay anyone to shoot them, there's plenty out there. Any public land with dogs gets hammered all year long.
And like VS said, 3rd week in June is optimum. They like sun and heat, but not mid-day July heat.

As for your gun selection, it is what it is, but bullet speed is what makes this game fun. A 22-250, .220 Swift, .243, fast lite bullets= air time, lead induced acrobatics and such. Watching someone else shoot one sometimes is more fun than hitting it yourself.

PD don't like cold but dislike cloudy and windy conditions even more. They will make themselves scarce on a cloudy day because they are not able to see aerial predators as well. Last time I shot in WY it was near Sheridan in mid-June. Weather was decent during midday but cool in the AM and down right chilly at night. We had snow showers one evening so I can attest to the fact that May might not be the best time of year. There was a good population in the area we shot but it has been a few years.
Guns: take whatever you like. I have shot them with 22LR thru 7mmSTW. That said, 204, 223 and 22-250 will be best but I would not rule out some light weight 243 rounds for really windy days and ELR shots. Most fun is riding the two-track with a 17HMR and shooting from the truck.

Google Earth is a helpful tool when trying to locate accessible dog towns in national forests or other public land. I'm lucky enough to have several buddies who live in eastern Montana and who have done similar homework to find new towns....or locate some on private property and start knocking on farmers doors.

Sunshine and calm winds are the two biggest factors a guy needs for good shooting. Hell I have gone out on a 30 degree day with a couple inches snow on the ground with no wind really and not a cloud in the sky and had a pretty decent day of shooting. Little different scenery with blood soaked mounds everywhere.

I have already been shooting them out here since the last week in April. Ran over 400 rounds into them since then.
I have private ranches I call coyotes on so I get all the p-dogs I want in the mix. Shoot them in the day, then go back & drop coyotes at night when they come in for dinner spread out.
They are out when its cold, but not as many & the real windy days are somewhat slow, but they are out.
Heck last year I was popping them in mid December when we got a warm spell, nice 2 days that was shooting them on top of the snow mounds.
I wish you the best on your trips.

Dood, you are the new guy. You asked the questions. Grow some skin and "wind your neck in."

Good luck getting any info from the boys by being "chirpy."

Cheers,
Breeze

See, your not clueless, you did pick up on the satire.

Ya, grow some skin, and look into local assets, I've been working on SenderoMan for over a year now.

Wink wink scott ;)

Last edited:
Listen to the guys on here who answer your questions. I live in Western wyoming and the weather is very unpredictable in May. I have bear hunted in may with a t shirt one day and in a snowstorm the next day. I have seen snow on July 4th in Wyoming. The p dog population is improving and on sunny afternoons I have seen a few already this year. If you are driving that far out and planning to spend that kind of money, you would be crazy not to listen to the guys out here who know their stuff. If you can put the trip off till late June or July you would have a lot more fun.

Where about are you in Western Wyoming. We venture over towards the south west corner area frequently for PD's but did not see much last year. Did plague hit them or was it lead poisening? If you have any insight into locations to try I would be forever indebted. I hunt with a few friends and we keep out traps shut on hot locations, for obvious reasons. We would especially like to help out any ranchers that want them gone. We all shoot suppressed so noise would be minimal. PM me if you have any thoughts. In answer to the OP. Listen to everything said so far. Having knowledge of the intended hunt area in invaluable. Some years are hot for PD's and teh next year stone cold. Make sure you do your research before heading out. Good luck and happy hunting.
Listen to the guys on here who answer your questions. I live in Western wyoming and the weather is very unpredictable in May. I have bear hunted in may with a t shirt one day and in a snowstorm the next day. I have seen snow on July 4th in Wyoming. The p dog population is improving and on sunny afternoons I have seen a few already this year. If you are driving that far out and planning to spend that kind of money, you would be crazy not to listen to the guys out here who know their stuff. If you can put the trip off till late June or July you would have a lot more fun.

Seriously? Mid May wouldn't be warm? Still snowing?! Weather.com only goes out to the end of april, but it lists average temps on April 30 as 66 degrees. ??

average temps right now are in the 40's and it is 10 and snowing today. Hell we are still driving on the lake and fishing. 4 years ago got 3 feet of snow the first week in may. But then agin last year at this time we had been out in the boat fishing for 2 weeks. So averages really mean nothing out here. I would wait till june

average temps right now are in the 40's and it is 10 and snowing today. Hell we are still driving on the lake and fishing. 4 years ago got 3 feet of snow the first week in may. But then agin last year at this time we had been out in the boat fishing for 2 weeks. So averages really mean nothing out here. I would wait till june

Yep same here Kurt, 20 degrees now that the sun has been up for an hour but snowed last night and more on the way. If a guy is going to travel that far, it would be very wise to wait until mid to late June like myself and others have stated.

Where about are you in Western Wyoming. We venture over towards the south west corner area frequently for PD's but did not see much last year. Did plague hit them or was it lead poisening? If you have any insight into locations to try I would be forever indebted. I hunt with a few friends and we keep out traps shut on hot locations, for obvious reasons. We would especially like to help out any ranchers that want them gone. We all shoot suppressed so noise would be minimal. PM me if you have any thoughts. In answer to the OP. Listen to everything said so far. Having knowledge of the intended hunt area in invaluable. Some years are hot for PD's and teh next year stone cold. Make sure you do your research before heading out. Good luck and happy hunting.

I live in Powell but I do most of my Pdog slaying near Meetetse or Greybull. I havent been out yet this year but I have seen a few dogs out while driving around. We got hit last year with plague and I didnt see many pdogs at all. I am optimistic about this year.

Well were going in may I can certainly let you know how it was. Last year we went in April and I got a sun burn. This year it is a lot colder though. You might want to look up the varmit hunters club in fort pierre they might have some info on there web site. I think the guide fee for the red. is up to 75 and you can't use fmj's hope this helps.

Well were going in may I can certainly let you know how it was. Last year we went in April and I got a sun burn. This year it is a lot colder though. You might want to look up the varmit hunters club in fort pierre they might have some info on there web site. I think the guide fee for the red. is up to 75 and you can't use fmj's hope this helps.

That's one thing about WY, you can get a sunburn all year round. In the summer it's hot and you get a sunburn on anything the sunlight is touching and in the winter the reflection off the snow on a bright day will get you as well.

I go to Wood, SD every year mid-may. Last year was perfect weather and lots of dogs, the year before was the big flood. Sucked big time.
As stated before, no fmj's on the res and caliber restriction to .25 cal. No .308's per our guide. We stayed at Karla's Last Call in Wood. Single wides for 4-5 guys works out well

PHXFA, did you shoot on the reservation? Heard the plague hammered them hard the last two years, We shot around Wood on private land, SPOOOOKY dogs, went into the hole at the sight of a Pickup and stayed down. Also heard the REZ was no lead only.

ok I see where you cant use fmj for big game but see no where does it state what cal you can or cant us for pdogs. if you want to hunt on a res why down there as crst and standing rock do not make you have the guide bullshit and there are a lot of people that will just let you go. You can use fmj, 50 bmg, surpressed what ever you want to kill them with as long as you have the license.
http://rstgfp.net/?id=24&page=Hunting

Can't speak to Wyoming but I go over to my bud's place in western Montana just east of Kalispel every Spring about mid-June. If ou go too early, too cold, too late the grass gets too high. Oh, and a 17 hmr is the bomb! You can skin the little varmints in the forehead at 175 yards and make them do the hoochie-koo dance. If you hit them dead on with the Hornady V-max, it will blow them in half.

I shoot on the res only, lots of cattle nearby so I can see the no fmj policy. Why anyone would want to shoot dogs with fmj is beyond me after you've seen the gymnastics with v-max's and the like. I went thru 1800 rds last time I went,,,this year Im bringing a 204 AR and my AX in .243 for the long pokes.

Two years ago I made my first Pdog trip to Wood, SD. Got hooked up with the owners of the one and only gas station in town. They had a rental house we booked for two days for two guys @ $60/person I think. While at the gas station, we talked to two old timers who gave us directions to their land and told us to have at it... at least I'm hoping it was their land. We sat on one field all afternoon. Lots of fun. The second day we did the Indidan guide thing in Rosebud. It was hit or miss. One spot we would shoot for 30 min, the next we could shoot for a few hours and then move along. One spot they took off running when they saw the truck. Lots of coyotes too, so be ready for them when driving through the fields. Although I never got a shot off at one. The guide never said anything about ammo type or caliber. We used AR .223 and .22-250. We went the third week of May I believe. It sounds like the time to go is firtst week of June when all the young ones are already born and up and running around. Weather was really nice. Got a sunburn. Went to Karla's Last Call for dinner and drinks, and met up with some other guys from WI doing some Pdoggin and turkey hunting. It met my expectations, but if i do it again I would like to save the money and fees and avoid the reservation guide/fees.

I have been to eastern Wyoming and central South Dakota. Both times we stayed at a lodge and were semi-guided. I prefer that to doing all the leg work once I roll in from out of town. It was like a shooting vacation, we slept comfortably, we had awesome food and we unselfishly provided the world a service...managing Pdogs you know. I would google "prairie dog hunts in south dakota" and browse their websites. Most upstanding big game guides that have lodge facilities offer Pdog hunts at a reasonable rate.

Some buddies and I drove from Michigan to the Black Hills in SD last May. It was awesome! My mother lives out there in Hot Springs and did a bunch of scouting and asking of ranchers for permission during the spring. Once we got out there and started shooting the neighboring ranchers caught wind and asked to go blast there PD's. It turned into a game of hopscotch of crossing the property fences/lines of wherever their cattle weren't. It seems they are more than happy to have you blast away if your are mindful and don't endanger anyone or their livestock. We went out probably a week too early but the little things were everywhere and unafraid of us. It was a warm first week of May but the young ones were still holed up. I got to stay a few extra days longer than my friends and the numbers coming out of the burrows increased. Mornings were still cold though so they didn't come out until noonish. This year June/July/August would probably be best. Anyway, we did a lot of shooting and a lot less killing. The wind out there makes things tough but a buddy managed a 553 yard headshot with a 22-250 which was awesome. We also spotted up on a rock on the side of a big ridge and did some LR shooting. I am definitely going back.