• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SD

Hattrick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
Been reloading along time with my father using a balance beam scale which is old school and pretty accurate, but yes it’s a vary big but although the scale is accurate are aging eyes are not, I’ve seen are SDs go from single digit to 18 to mid to 20s Or more. I blame are aging eyes. If you could change one thing to tighten this up what would it be? My thinking is to a high quality digital scale what’s out there and what direction should I go? I’m kinda of a cry once buy once type of guy

Beam scales may be slow, but they are accurate assuming you can read them easily. When I was still using a 1050 and trickling by feel, I used one of these magnifiers to make it easier. Edit: actually it looks like that particular item is discontinued, but you get the point.

If it's not the power charge that's throwing things off for you, start working on improving neck consistency.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
Been reloading along time with my father using a balance beam scale which is old school and pretty accurate, but yes it’s a vary big but although the scale is accurate are aging eyes are not, I’ve seen are SDs go from single digit to 18 to mid to 20s Or more. I blame are aging eyes. If you could change one thing to tighten this up what would it be? My thinking is to a high quality digital scale what’s out there and what direction should I go? I’m kinda of a cry once buy once type of guy
What rifle/cartridge/bullet?

How far do you typically shoot?

What, if any changes, have you seen in the rifle’s performance (ie hits on target) as a result of the SD climbing?

Reactions: Doom and diverdon
I’m pretty sure it’s the powder Charge and yes I see it at distance especially past 500

balance beam is way more accurate than ChargeMasters.

so if you dont get single digit from balance beam, than your components and process sux.
Beam scales are a pain in the ass to deal with…charge master is sufficient for stick powders and covers most folks practical shooting precision needs (unless the budget allows for an Autotrickler set up). RCBS Uniflow and a small digi scale is great for ball powders.

Whether or not he needs a single digit SD to be successful depends on how he uses the rilfe, cartridge/bullet, size of targets at whatever distance he’s aiming at and how far he pushes out.

I’m pretty sure it’s the powder Charge and yes I see it at distance especially past 500
So what rifle, cartridge and bullet? How far do you typically shoot? Also quote this post if/when you respond so i know to look.

As for caliber 6.5 284 Norma 156 Berger’s( is Primary rifle)6.5 Grendel, 6.5 creed. For years we had SDs much lower with most all Caliber we loaded and I have seen the spread increase with are age esp in the last few years. I dont shoot competition and I’m pretty successful on impacts out to 900 on Silhouette targets. It’s definitely room for improvement I like see my impacts on the water line. The vertical spreed gets pretty obvious at 800-900.

Just my opinion but I find it difficult to believe that your eyes are causing you more metering errors as opposed to long range shooting difficulty but so be it. Any of the RCBS Chargemasters are capable of +/-05gr loading when not pushed for speed. You can go higher end you may get slightly better with a an Autotrickler and Fx-120i but I doubt you'll see it. I will tell you that going from a SD of 10 to 25 based on powder charge is a good size error in the 6.5-284 and 6.5CM.

Reactions: Hattrick
Buy once cry once . . . get the FX-102i and you won't be sorry. As I do, you can still throw your charges and trickle up with your trickler and it takes just a short period of time.

If you want better precision than from a good balance beam scale, than you must buy at least RCBS MatchMaster or A&D Fx120i (probably with Autotrickler).
Chargemasters and other auto dispensers at this price are only +/-0.10gr, which can be Δ=0.20gr. To be better than good balance beam scale, you need +/-0.02gr, which can be Δ=0.04gr.
you must measure velocity with a good chronograph; magnetospeed or labradar. others are way more inaccurate.

• Haha
Reactions: Haney
balance beam is way more accurate than ChargeMasters.

so if you dont get single digit from balance beam, than your components and process sux.
, .How did you perform your test comparing your balance beams to your Chargemaster ?

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I find it difficult to believe that your eyes are causing you more metering errors as opposed to long range shooting difficulty but so be it. Any of the RCBS Chargemasters are capable of +/-05gr loading when not pushed for speed. You can go higher end you may get slightly better with a an Autotrickler and Fx-120i but I doubt you'll see it. I will tell you that going from a SD of 10 to 25 based on powder charge is a good size error in the 6.5-284 and 6.5CM.

I agree 100%

If you want better precision than from a good balance beam scale, than you must buy at least RCBS MatchMaster or A&D Fx120i (probably with Autotrickler).
Chargemasters and other auto dispensers at this price are only +/-0.10gr, which can be Δ=0.20gr. To be better than good balance beam scale, you need +/-0.02gr, which can be Δ=0.04gr.
you must measure velocity with a good chronograph; magnetospeed or labradar. others are way more inaccurate.

Plenty F class championships are won/have been won on a regular chargemaster. With scores and X counts that are still competitive with better scales.

Just because the balance beam can do better doesn’t mean the ammo performance will be better.

Reactions: LR1845