• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SDMR Range Report 500 Yards - Irons & Mil-Spec 193

Afghanvet09

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
Holly Hill, SC
Some months back I posted this target I shot from 500 yards using irons only and XM193 ammo w/ my SDM-R clone I built. It was a 5 round test group that had an extreme spread of about 6-1/2" group.

Original Photo I posted:

I've been back to the 500 yard range several times, using just a table top and small bag as a rest, and gotten very similar results with irons and same mil-spec ammo. Latest 19"x22" target posted below has about a 7" spread. Here it is:

I see a lot of threads on SPR rifles on the Hide, but having had owned Mod 0, 1 and SDM - I like the weight and handling characteristics of the SDM better and prefer it. It's also cheaper to build.

Re: My SDMR, Irons, and Mil-Spec Ammo - 500 Yards

Nice! But... Throw a White Oak Service Rifle barrel in that bad boy... And watch how well it shoots!

I too, love to shoot irons.

Thank you for posting this... How do you do with M855? Or MK262?

7" @ 500 yards with irons and XM193 is very respectable!

Re: My SDMR, Irons, and Mil-Spec Ammo - 500 Yards

M855 is not as accurate as M193 - I believe this has to do with stability due to armor piercing steel penetrator. Getting such good results with the M193 mil-spec ammo, haven't shot much with the match ammo. no bh77 match or 262, but I have only one 5 round BH 69 match target I'll try to post. they are not dramatically different