• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SEALs Scope... I know!!!

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I know... They're crap... Right? Well, one of the guys I shoot with bought one... before he had a chance to really research it online. After reading the "less than stellar" reports on several forums he decided he didn't even want to show up at the range with it on his rifle. I only found out about it because I saw the box for it in his garage. It's an 8x-32x. I took it out of the box and looked it over. Didn't look too bad. Focus dial was a little stiff. I asked him what he was going to do with it. He said... "Maybe use it for a spotting scope". I asked him if I could give it a try. I'm not a "name dropper" or someone who gives a shit. If it works, I'll use it.

I put it on my 5R with a pair of Warne rings and a 20MOA EGW base. I know the 5R is a shooter and I have a 16x Super Sniper I usually have on it. Not the best but it's what I can afford.

Long story short, It wasn't bad... at all! I bore-sighted the rifle and after I zero'd it at 100yds. started shooting groups. It was rock-solid. I even had the rifle roll sideways on the rest and bang the scope on the table while I was replacing my targets once. I even checked the Mil-dots by marking one of my targets with 2 dots about 3 and a half inches apart. I cranked the zoom up to 32 and the dots lined up perfectly with the dots in the reticle. Then I moved over to 300yds. and adjusted the elevation of the scope the 27 clicks the "Bullet-flight" program on my I-Pod told me. Voila... Inch-and-a-half groups around the Bulls-eye!

While I'm sure it doesn't compare to Nightforce, or US Optics, or Schmidt and Bender, or Swarovski, or any of the other $1000+ scopes out there... Don't be so quick to judge it as "Crap" until you've actually gone out and tested one yourself. The guy I borrowed it from graciously told me to keep it and pay him by supplying ammo a few times and and buying him a case of beer! So I left it on my 5R and put a piece of Gaff tape over the name on it because I too would NEVER put THAT name on anything that didn't warrant it. I left it on my 5R and I'll let you know how it performs next time out. Let's see if it holds Zero... FWIW

John

Re: SEALs Scope... I know!!!

Take the tape off! If it works, who cares what anyone else thinks. Just go out and outshoot them with it.

The tape proves that you do give a shit what people think.
laugh.gif

There are a few scopes in the "under $300.00" range that have a decent track record. This is not one of them and one range session with one scope does not change that. I would steer anyone interested in this scope to a Bushenll Elite 3200 10x, or a Super-sniper, or even a Falcon before suggesting this scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tape proves that you do give a shit what people think.
laugh.gif

There are a few scopes in the "under $300.00" range that have a decent track record. This is not one of them and one range session with one scope does not change that. I would steer anyone interested in this scope to a Bushenll Elite 3200 10x, or a Super-sniper, or even a Falcon before suggesting this scope.</div></div> No... Not even close. The tape is out of respect for the Teams. I don't want anyone to think I'm claiming my scope has ANY affiliation with the Navy Seals. Maybe I stated that wrong in the original post. No harm done. I see your point.

As far as the "one range session" part... I agree, but I can't help but be impressed so far. I'll keep everyone informed next time out.

Remember... I'm in it for $0.00 so far. It's easy to impress me with that kind of investment!

No go out and crank it up and down to the limit of it's adjustment a few times and check the horizontal tracking at the vertical limits.

I have never touched one. I don't know anything about them. I did get to see one of the "Countersniper" scopes this last week at the state school. It didn't go tits up, but I wouldn't call it a "good" scope.

No argument there.....zero cost is as cheap as it gets.
Still, I like the fact that this board steers those who don't know better..... away from unproven gear. Maybe you will prove this one worthy?
laugh.gif

I may just be lucky and got a "good" one. Ya never know. But I will put it through its paces.

I went back and forth about even posting about this scope for a couple weeks because of all the crap it got when I read an old post about it. I figure that's what I'm doing... Proving or Dis-proving!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may just be lucky and got a "good" one. Ya never know. But I will put it through its paces.

I went back and forth about even posting about this scope for a couple weeks because of all the crap it got when I read an old post about it. I figure that's what I'm doing... Proving or Dis-proving!</div></div>

I wouldn't say proving/disproving either way. A sample size of 1 is not enough to prove/disprove an entire model line's quality. But it does provide evidence towards that eventual goal.

I'm going to be interested to see what you think of it 1500 rds from now. Hopefully it's still humming along nicely!

Actually, if all goes well I won't be using it 1500 rounds from now. I'll have a better scope by then! I do realize it is what it is. I'm not rich... And I'm married. It takes an act of Congress to be able to spend the $$$ required to get a "good" scope! I'm workin' on it.

to whom it may concern.., i have 5 of these "Dark Ops" scopes, all are "product overruns" two of them on very high recoil rifles three of them on 5.56mm NATO chambered rifles, the number of rounds thru the rifles/carbines range from 200 to 2,000+, the one high recoil carbine has nearly 1,000 rnds thru it and she still holds point of aim out to 350 yds.

just my OPINION, but i consider these Counter Sniper scopes to be top notch, that is why i have 5 of them and plan on buying at least three more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to whom it may concern.., i have 5 of these "Dark Ops" scopes, all are "product overruns" two of them on very high recoil rifles three of them on 5.56mm NATO chambered rifles, the number of rounds thru the rifles/carbines range from 200 to 2,000+, the one high recoil carbine has nearly 1,000 rnds thru it and she still holds point of aim out to 350 yds.

just my OPINION, but i consider these Counter Sniper scopes to be top notch, that is why i have 5 of them and plan on buying at least three more. </div></div>

with all that investment into Dark Ops, you could have bought a proven scope. I have a feeling that you are here to stir the pot and start a shit storm. I to as well have one, and to say the least im am far from impressed. And if you actually think that they are contract over runs, you are smoking some good stuff and id like to know where you get it

One of their worst flaws is their own advertising.... The "rare earth" components & unobtainium gasses, etc... just raises the BS flag to high to risk any of my $$$ on one... in the same breath, I have handled one & it didn't seem too bad.... If spending on glass in that price range, definitely look to the SS or a Falcon 1st.... The features offered and the quality of the glass on the Falcon's while keeping the $$ down make it worthwhile, just be aware of the warranty limitations going in, you're not getting what you could from any of the top manufacturers, but you are getting a decent scope at an affordable price... Probably the only FFP scope worth a squat in it's price range as well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the tape off! If it works, who cares what anyone else thinks. Just go out and outshoot them with it. </div></div>

No kidding. I think the lower priced optics can work, and I've used a couple before that have worked fine for me. I know that its not going to work as well as the high end stuff, but its also at a much lower price point, so I know not to expect as much out of it. Its just a name. Who cares?

Here's the deal. The Chinese can make a good scope.
They just cannot reliably produce 100 consecutive pieces of that same scope.

Looked at so many examples of that countries optics handiwork over the last 5 years that the result is both predictable and similar from each of their factories.
If they send 1 for review, it's pretty darn good. Then they get courageous and sent multiples, and the results are quite disappointing.

i think micheal hit the nail on the head, twice i've been burned by that. got a scope that was already on a rifle or something like that and it performed well, bought a second and it was junk. my two samples are 6.5-20x50 barska, and 10-40x50 tasco. my drawer full of low end optics is getting full, i am slowly but surely upgrading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to whom it may concern.., i have 5 of these "Dark Ops" scopes, all are "product overruns" two of them on very high recoil rifles three of them on 5.56mm NATO chambered rifles, the number of rounds thru the rifles/carbines range from 200 to 2,000+, the one high recoil carbine has nearly 1,000 rnds thru it and she still holds point of aim out to 350 yds.

just my OPINION, but i consider these Counter Sniper scopes to be top notch, that is why i have 5 of them and plan on buying at least three more. </div></div>
I think Pete must be an employee of Dark Ops and is here trying to get their sales up. It funny when one dumb shit thinks he has the best scope or I am sorry he called them 'Top Notch' scope in the world and plans on buying three more, what a quack.

I just bought one of these "best in the world scopes" for under $300. I bought it because I got a deal on it. It's a 4-16x42mm FFP mildot reticle. I'm going to take it to the range and mount it on my .338 Norma Mag and put it through the paces. I've also got a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40mm BDC reticle that I will test that day too. The Nikon is in a similar price range(~$360) but has a better reputation. I'll try and remember to report back with pictures of results.

So, I took some pictures after "shooting the box" with my Countersniper scope but, I can't upload them? I need to put them on some other website and link to them? Is that right? Can someone give me advice on an easy way to do that?
My CS Optics 4-16x43mm with a Mil-Dot first focal plane reticle was mounted on my Howa 1500 chambered in .338 Norma with Burris 30mm Extreme rings and a EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail.
Anyway, it was about 65 F, low humidity, and probably gusting up to 20 mph. None of these are measurements, just my best estimate of conditions. But anyway, I zeroed the scope but the zero seemed to vary less than an inch horizontally and vertically. The groups I was shooting were just under 1" at 100yds, not bad but typically my rifle does better.
For shooting the box, I didn't shoot groups at each corner, just one round. Ammo ain't free. For those of you who aren't sure what "shooting the box" is, you'll get it. My first shot was zeroed and it ended up about 1 min to the left and 0.25 min up from dead center. Admittedly, I think I pulled it left a little. Then I adjusted to a bullseye 4.5 min up and 4.5 min to the left. The round ended up at 5 min up and 5 min left. The next shot I adjusted 9 min right. So, now I should be 4.5 min up and 4.5 min right of the center bullseye. That round went to 5.5 min up and 6 min to the right. Then I adjusted down 9 min. (That would 4.5 min down and 4.5 min to the right.) That round went to 5 min down and 5 min right. Next, I adjust left 9 min. (Now I'm at 4.5 min down and 4.5 min left.) That round went through 5.5 min down and 4 min left.) The last round, I adjusted back to zero and that round ended up 1 min up and 0.5 min left. (About and inch from the first round.)
All in all, the adjustments feel sound with audible and tactile clicks. However, there is about 1/10th min of slop in the turrets, tolerable but certainly not ideal.
The optics are bright and clear. So bright that it hurt my eyes and I had a blue-yellow spot in my vision from looking at the white target too long.
Considering I got this scope delivered to me for less than $300, I'd say I got more than my money's worth.

1000 rounds on a carbine is supposed to be impressive? I have a hensoldt 4-16 that has seen probably 20K rounds of 308 over its lifetime, does that make it a god? Lasting 1000 rounds on a carbine does not qualify as vetting the optic.

ETA: nice necro :-/

I'm sorry, but I call bull shit. What do you consider a "very" high recoiling rifle? I see no where on your profile, anything, about you having a 50 cal. That post was utter nonsense, and dare I say untruthful. You do NOT own 5 CS scopes. As far as I can tell, from some past posts, you have a few AR type guns, and were wondering if a Nightforce was an appropriate optic for them. You were also trying to find out the pros and cons of USO vs. NF. Kudos to you, your "troll" worked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armednsafe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, I took some pictures after "shooting the box" with my Countersniper scope but, I can't upload them? I need to put them on some other website and link to them? Is that right? Can someone give me advice on an easy way to do that?
My CS Optics 4-16x43mm with a Mil-Dot first focal plane reticle was mounted on my Howa 1500 chambered in .338 Norma with Burris 30mm Extreme rings and a EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail.
Anyway, it was about 65 F, low humidity, and probably gusting up to 20 mph. None of these are measurements, just my best estimate of conditions. But anyway, I zeroed the scope but the zero seemed to vary less than an inch horizontally and vertically. The groups I was shooting were just under 1" at 100yds, not bad but typically my rifle does better.
For shooting the box, I didn't shoot groups at each corner, just one round. Ammo ain't free. For those of you who aren't sure what "shooting the box" is, you'll get it. My first shot was zeroed and it ended up about 1 min to the left and 0.25 min up from dead center. Admittedly, I think I pulled it left a little. Then I adjusted to a bullseye 4.5 min up and 4.5 min to the left. The round ended up at 5 min up and 5 min left. The next shot I adjusted 9 min right. So, now I should be 4.5 min up and 4.5 min right of the center bullseye. That round went to 5.5 min up and 6 min to the right. Then I adjusted down 9 min. (That would 4.5 min down and 4.5 min to the right.) That round went to 5 min down and 5 min right. Next, I adjust left 9 min. (Now I'm at 4.5 min down and 4.5 min left.) That round went through 5.5 min down and 4 min left.) The last round, I adjusted back to zero and that round ended up 1 min up and 0.5 min left. (About and inch from the first round.)
All in all, the adjustments feel sound with audible and tactile clicks. However, there is about 1/10th min of slop in the turrets, tolerable but certainly not ideal.
The optics are bright and clear. So bright that it hurt my eyes and I had a blue-yellow spot in my vision from looking at the white target too long.
Considering I got this scope delivered to me for less than $300, I'd say I got more than my money's worth. </div></div>

viewimg.php

tumblr_lg7rttLkiv1qef84so1_500.gif

tumblr_lg7s7jLaOI1qef84so1_500.gif

tumblr_lmqt6pVqPK1qck1y2o1_400.gif

cocaine.gif

Here we go again, I F'n hat trolls. Oneshot, I hope it holds together for you, nothing like a free piece of kit that works.

Yep, someone tries to give an objective review of a product you hate and they are on crack...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armednsafe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, someone tries to give an objective review of a product you hate and they are on crack... </div></div>

I've run one of those gas-filled turds through the box test at different distances. The minute you begin dialing elevation and windage at varying distances, you couldn't hit a dog in the ass with a snow shovel.

Please try it for yourself.

I did actually. I shot at 300 yards and dialed up 3.5 moa for the drop and I was dead on. I'm not saying the scope is the best out there. I'm just saying that it's not a complete pile of crap. It works well for a $400 scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

viewimg.php

tumblr_lg7rttLkiv1qef84so1_500.gif

tumblr_lg7s7jLaOI1qef84so1_500.gif

tumblr_lmqt6pVqPK1qck1y2o1_400.gif

cocaine.gif
</div></div>

Hahahahaha!
Your post made my day!
Thanks
laugh.gif

$400 bucks for a scope that doesn't track properly is a good deal? I think that's what I read. I'm not trying to bash, I'm simply saying for $400 buck, go buy a Vortex Viper and it will track just where you want it to! Either that or go to Wonder Optics and buy theirs for under $400 and it will track where you want it to. If I read it wrong please let me know, but from what I read either you're satisfied with spending $400 on a scope that doesn't track properly or you're just off by a minute? I spent $150 on a Simmons with target turrets, 44mag I believe, and it tracked pretty darn good. It had better optics than a SS scope, or at least the one that was there to compare to and the others that I've looked through. I was satisfied with that scope and if it was off by a minute, I wouldn't have really complained as after the mail in rebate, I had about $125 in it. It served the purpose though as it was mounted on a 308 for testing and then moved to a 10/22. I don't think you are on crack, but I don't completely understand your post apparently and I am assuming that you were just off by a minute overall to say that it's a pretty decent scope for $400. I've personally never looked through a Dark Ops scope, so I can only go on reviews and such, but it doesn't sound like a decent scope for $400 to me.

With that being said, I understand that people have budgets and not everybody can afford to buy S&B or Premier, but I just think there are better/proven optics in that price range that offer better warranty/customer service. My friend has a Millet on his 700 and swears by it, but I'm not going out and spending my money on one. I've shot his rifle and it's a decent scope, but based on the reviews, it's still up in the air on their quality and such.I use Bushnell on my hunting rifles mostly and I can't complain about them, but alot of time I don't spend $400 on one. I have a Leupold MK4 on my 308 and it's by far not the best in the world, but I really don't have to worry about it taking a dump in a critical situation (LE sniper). I've seen a Vortex Viper stand up to a Barret 50cal and it was impressive for a $450 dollar scope to do this. That's what I call impressive and even more so that it tracked perfectly, not good enough. Plus if it takes a dump then a call to Vortex fixes it! For my money, I think I'd go to something more proven with better customer service, but that's just me.

I haven't used that many scopes in my life and I don't have a pile of USOs, S&Bs, and NFs to compare it to. But, considering when I tried to measure the adjustments and one shot was more than a minute off, it seems pretty good. I'm not perfect in my shooting and that could have been me flinching. What kind of error would you expect from a scope in this price range? It does better than my Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armednsafe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did actually. I shot at 300 yards and dialed up 3.5 moa for the drop and I was dead on. I'm not saying the scope is the best out there. I'm just saying that it's not a complete pile of crap. It works well for a $400 scope. </div></div>

http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-3-9x42-SS-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P2780.aspx

<span style="font-weight: bold">SWFA 3-9x42 SS Rifle Scope DEMO-B $499.00</span>
Stock # - SPL14074
Add to Wishlist
Quantity:

MSRP: $1075.00
Manufacture part#: SS39X42
Reticle: FFP Mil Dot
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Finish: Matte
0.1 MRAD finger adjustable windage and elevation
DEMO-B

Was there a particluar reason to revive a TWO year old thread, especially about the aforementioned scope??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FUCK SEALs </div></div>

Yeah!! What BigJoe said...

480309964_jQzzm-L-1.jpg

When I replied to this thread I didn't realize how old it was. I have no problem with One Shot using a freebie scope and testing it out. If the scope does what he needs, great. He, One Shot, knows of the scopes reputation, and is not saying it's the next NF.

My issue is/was with Piston Pete, who seems to be run out of Sniper's Hide town. After reading some of his old posts, he can be diagnosed as a pathological liar.

Sorry, when I replied to it I didn't realize it was 2 years old. Is that a faux pas to reply to a thread that old?

Thanks for showing me that site. I'll look there when I'm upgrading. But I was looking for something a bit higher than 9 power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armednsafe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for showing me that site. I'll look there when I'm upgrading. But I was looking for something a bit higher than 9 power. </div></div>

They have great deals on that site on trade-ins and demos. The selection changes constantly. Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FUCK SEALs </div></div>

Yeah!! What BigJoe said...

480309964_jQzzm-L-1.jpg
</div></div>

Awarded POST OF THE DAY!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armednsafe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
Photophobia, or are you staring at the sun through it? If the latter, the light transmission leaves a bit to be desired. The only one I have looked through was akin to a fish tank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armednsafe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, when I replied to it I didn't realize it was 2 years old. Is that a faux pas to reply to a thread that old? </div></div>

I don't think so, because the "use the search function" Nazis will be on your ass if you post something that has been discussed in the past.

Ha ha! No, I was not starring at the sun... Like I said I was staring at a white target. It was one of those Redfield sight in targets with the big center diamond and 4 smaller diamonds in the corners. Seriously, the optics in this scope are bright.

'Scuuze me if'n I'm a bit iggerant about the finer points of who makes what,

but

did this two years ago turn from a thread about some brand called "SEAL" to one about CounterSniper Scopes made by "Dark Ops" or whatever and their Berthrillium-coated glass VooDoo?

I'll just go away if that "SEALS" stuff is referencing some claim or name/label used by the CounterSniper braggarts.

That other CounterSniper Scopes thread where the knobs broke off when it was dropped only three feet to the deck was almost hilarious in some places.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Scuuze me if'n I'm a bit iggerant about the finer points of who makes what,

but

did this two years ago turn from a thread about some brand called "SEAL" to one about CounterSniper Scopes made by "Dark Ops" or whatever and their Berthrillium-coated glass VooDoo?

I'll just go away if that "SEALS" stuff is referencing some claim or name/label used by the CounterSniper braggarts.

That other CounterSniper Scopes thread where the knobs broke off when it was dropped only three feet to the deck was almost hilarious in some places. </div></div>

There's an old guy with a pony tail at a surplus store here in NOVA next to a TJ maxx who swears by counter sniper. He told me he used them and tascos when he was a SEAL. This store also sells novelty gstrings and fake swords so perhaps he isn't a <span style="font-style: italic">truly</span> reliable source of info
grin.gif

NF1986There's an old guy with a pony tail at a surplus store here in NOVA next to a TJ maxx who swears by counter sniper. He told me he used them and tascos when he was a SEAL. This store also sells novelty gstrings and fake swords so perhaps he isn't a <span style="font-style: italic">truly</span> reliable source of info [img said:
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

That's awesome we have a guy that's probably 35yrs old or so in town that's been in every branch of military from seals to rangers to recon marine and green berets. It just depends on what day you talk to him as to which branch he was in!

+1 for SS scopes... I know the aren't the best but for the money and quality they are hard to beat. Last time I was in red oak and stopped by a customer had his scope exchanged without question when it had obviously been abused to the point of neglect.. good customer service!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armednsafe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put together an educated opinion of these scopes based on almost a year of use. Here is a link to my review of the 4-16x 50mm mil-dot FFP reticle model.
Counter Sniper 4-16x50mm FFP mil-dot Review </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I hope your scope evaluation skills are better than your video linking skills:</span>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vumyw317SLw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vumyw317SLw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Maybe not:

" <span style="font-weight: bold">I would rate the glass quality 8/10.</span> (0 is completely opaque and 10 is completely distortionless and 100% light transmission) Brightness is top notch, but clarity around the edges could be better."

Really?

I fixed the link. Somehow, I ended up with an extra 'https//'. As far as you question on the glass goes, yes.

So what would you rate a S&B or a Nightforce if this $450.00 scope gets a 8-10?

I liked the review, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">I hope your scope evaluation skills are better than your video linking skills:</span>

Maybe not: ...

</div></div>