• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Searching for honest opinions

sandman2004

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Mooresville, NC
I am looking into the realm of mid/long range shooting, out to 1000yds. Just for target shooting/ therapy sessions/ and some deer hunting. I am looking at the Remington 700 5R with a Nightforce 3.5-15 or 5.5-22. What are your opinions of this package for a novice shooter with the desire to work towards precision?

Re: Searching for honest opinions

Both are great choices! Neither will let you down.

EDIT: just dont skimp on the rail and rings, buy Seekins rail and rings for that combo and you will be set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would recommend those rings vs nightforce rings with 20 MOA built in? </div></div>

the moa cant is built into the rail. And yes, i run seekins base and rings on both my NF scopes.

Go Seekins 20 moa base and whatever rings you need, call him up and he will help you out.

As for the reticle, go with the MLR ret with MRAD knobs, magnification is up to you. I like all the magnification I can have, so I would go with the 22X

Both are great choices. Much better than what I started shooting long distance with.

Thats a great starter stick, now shoot the shit out of it, and build up to wanting a custom, which shouldn't take too long, the addiction comes quick

This is the setup I have in .308

Rem 5R with
-NF 5.5-22x50
-(NP-R1 reticle)
-NF Med rings -NF 20 MOA Base
-Karsten adjustable cheekpiece
-Harris S-BRM 6-9 bipod

Great for an out of the box rifle .....you'll love it .