• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Season so far..

ejg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2008
Ireland
www.pse-composites.com
Our season for stags or any deer with horns started in September. Weather has been quite good and the rut is in full swing. I started with a nice six pointer sika stag taken with my foxing rig a 243 remmy at 200yds 80gr sierra varminter. Made shit of the lungs.
Photo-0005.jpg

We got this little spike up in the hill, 200yd with the 308 and 165gr sst.
Photo-0009.jpg

Weekend later took a stag with a bad head at 90yds off the shoulder. Roedale precision Sako 308
DSCN2536.jpg

Yesterday eve I got this fella in drizzle conditions.
Shot was taken from the x mark spot. Roedale sako 308 and favourite 155gr a-max load. It was not as far as it looks.
sikaonhill.jpg

Shot went where I wanted, quartering away animal. Spine was scraped and went down on the spot.
edi
DSCN2568.jpg

Re: Season so far..

Thanks PGS,
Spooky fellas and the stags are tough to drop.
We'll leave the larger stags go from now on and
just take spikes till November when the hind season
starts. Thats when we will take numbers.
Looking forward to November.
edi

Taken three in the past month... they have really done a job on the Woodchuck/Turkey population on the farm this year...knee deep in Archery season at the moment...

Keep the photos coming...cant beat that scenery...

Another update, the stag season is slowing down and we should concentrate on hinds. Weather just turned quite bad lately and deer seem to be hiding a lot.
Shot this fella free hand at about 80yds.
PA170886.jpg

Yesterday we stalked into this fella who was sunning himself in the hill. Neck shot at 184m with 308 155gr a-max.
Photo-00142.jpg

Photo-00162.jpg

edi

Sorry for the late reply Malaga,
I mostly hunt in Kerry, sometimes around Kilgarvin area.
We had floods here mid week, more floods and gales predicted for the weekend. I'm not sure if we'll make it out. Might find a little gap though.

edi

Since January the weather improved overall and we had some fantastic days out. Took out the remmy 243 a bit more loaded with 87gr v-max which works very well on neck shots.
This doe was necked at I think around 210yds at absolute first light.
DSCN0152.jpg

DSCN0154.jpg

Nice stalk up to this doe who was enjoying the sun.
The views from where she dropped were spectacular.
DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

Then I finally got around to make myself a lightweight carbon stock for the remmy. Makes a nice light hill rifle now, and more sika.
DSCN0309.jpg

DSCN0316.jpg

edi

Very nice deer, looks like my whitetail, 1 broken antler, 2 years in arow :p

Thanks Rory,
I never shot a whitetail so far. Might get a chance one day.

Malaga2, the way you are going you'll have all the coyotes shot and will come over anyway. your'e welcome. Season is sept till end feb.

Last day of our season was a beautiful crisp morning. No wind on the hill and lovely views to the Atlantic on our west coast.
I spooked a group of does and followed them for a while. Looking though a few branches of some pine trees I saw the group about to head off. I took the calf off-hand at about 100yds. Spinal shot dropped it. Pity I had the head tossed away already when I realised I hadn't taken a photo yet. It was a long drag back to the car.

View from heading up the hill.
DSCN0342.jpg

Top of the hill view. Sika hidden behind the rifle....
DSCN0351.jpg

I got the deer over the forest in the clearing, highest spot.
topofhill.jpg

edi