• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seasonal Shooters?

General RE LEE

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2022
Middle TN
I’m primarily a hunter but also like to shoot steel. I reload and have 2 Tikkas. UPR 308 and CTR with a Bravo chassis.

Anyone not shoot much in summer? I haven’t been to the range since May. I play a lot of tournament golf and have a family so range time has been non existent. I’m starting to get the itch as my reloading bench is collecting dust.

Anyone a “seasonal” shooter? I haven’t even been on the Hide in a few months.

I've been shooting pretty consistently when I put golf on the back burner back in 2017. I think shooting was my replacement to my competitive side when I got tired of golf. I had been golfing for 25 years, junior, HS, college.

when I picked up shooting, I was full steam ahead. I noticed last season, I didn't shoot very much and around fall, I purchased my first new set of clubs since HS. this season, I had started shooting some club matches but once some nice weather came around, golf was pretty regular. this is my first year I haven't shot a 2-day match. summers are killers here in the Midwest and it's nice to get to the golf course and be home before it starts getting unbearable. also, traveling 20 min vs 2.5 hrs is really nice. playing golf scrambles is much more fun for me. I think I'll find an even balance between golf and shooting here shortly

I've been shooting pretty consistently when I put golf on the back burner back in 2017. I think shooting was my replacement to my competitive side when I got tired of golf. I had been golfing for 25 years, junior, HS, college.

when I picked up shooting, I was full steam ahead. I noticed last season, I didn't shoot very much and around fall, I purchased my first new set of clubs since HS. this season, I had started shooting some club matches but once some nice weather came around, golf was pretty regular. this is my first year I haven't shot a 2-day match. summers are killers here in the Midwest and it's nice to get to the golf course and be home before it starts getting unbearable. also, traveling 20 min vs 2.5 hrs is really nice. playing golf scrambles is much more fun for me. I think I'll find an even balance between golf and shooting here shortly

Very similar background to yours. I ordered a set of Srixon ZX7s to replace my Mizunos.

I live on the 1st hole of the golf course and also work the pro shop on Saturdays. As an employee, I get free golf. It’s hard not to go play golf on these hot days vs going to range which is a 45 minute drive.

I’m itching to start shouting again. Hopefully this week or next weekend.

In AZ I take most of the summer off shooting rifles. I'll go to indoor ranges and shoot pistols.

BLM land is closed for fire restrictions so I'll maybe go to an outdoor range a couple times. I just don't enjoy public ranges that much. I almost exclusively shoot suppressed(rifles) and being next to some dude shooting like a 33xc on one side and another with a 7.5" 5.56 with a brake on the other is obnoxious.

I dry fire pretty often though so I don't really feel rusty first real range trip back.

Shooting is a full year hobby for me.

I also have dirt bikes and mountain bikes in the summer, and snowmobiles in the winter. I find I shoot the most in the spring, as it's still to wet to tear up the mountains. Hunting season takes up the fall.

I am lucky to have my own range, so I shoot year round. I actually shoot more in the summer when I am not hunting.

I’m primarily a hunter but also like to shoot steel. I reload and have 2 Tikkas. UPR 308 and CTR with a Bravo chassis.

Anyone not shoot much in summer? I haven’t been to the range since May. I play a lot of tournament golf and have a family so range time has been non existent. I’m starting to get the itch as my reloading bench is collecting dust.

I live in the hellhole called Minnesota. I shoot much less in the heart of the winter when it sucks here. I can usually shoot from late March / early April to late November / early December.

I don't shoot during my busy season (Jan-April.)

It usually takes me two to three sessions to dust off the cobwebs and about 100 - 150 rounds.

I shoot year round, but the frequency of which I do so ebbs and flows throughout the year.

Shooting isn't my only hobby, so sometimes I take short breaks while focusing on others.

We have a small club in SW Oklahoma and have rearranged our "season" to run from late September-early June to avoid the hell temps of summer. I did just shoot/RO'd a NRL 2-day and I'm not sure I'll be doing that again. 110 with not much wind was brutal. I had things cramping that I didn't know could.......

I can shoot out to 300 yards in my yard but I haven't shot in a while. It's been averaging about 103 degrees for about two months straight and we haven't had a drop of rain so I've been doing other stuff for the most part.

Normally I would shoot late in the evenings but even then it's still between 95 and 100 degrees out.

On top of that though my work schedule is kind of weird so I only have maybe one possibility two days in the week that it's even possible.

Shooting is a hobby for me so I just do it when I feel like it.

I shoot more in the summer. Hits the 20s, lows 30s and I am out. 🤣

I really like shooting in 10-30F temps that freeze witches titties. My groups are S&Msmall too!
Summer shooting gets the juices flowing, but I keep my hot stick cool in my truck with some AC.
and that's how it goes. Smootches, later, bye~

• Haha
Reactions: General RE LEE
I really like shooting in 10-30F temps that freeze witches titties. My groups are S&Msmall too!
Summer shooting gets the juices flowing, but I keep my hot stick cool in my truck with some AC.
and that's how it goes. Smootches, later, bye~
Lol wtf

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
I don’t shoot much in the summer - with Louisiana humidity, mirage is a killer. If I do shoot it’s usually with the .22 at 50-100 yds.

I’ve had enough days of a perfect called break that lands 2 feet below the target. I do like to golf too, but that’s more of a spring pursuit. The perfect weekend is shoot on Saturday, golf on Sunday.

College ball gets in the way from Sep-Jan, and the Sunday hangovers keep me away from public ranges where the competition to have the loudest and most obnoxious muzzle break is stiff.

I took a break sorta. I started shooting a bow again for the first time in 15 years. So I've been going to the range for about three times a week June and July, the last hour or two of sunlight. And it's STILL been too damn hot. The quiet has been nice.
Several range trips with a rifle in that time, two pistol matches and some long range pistol plinking, but mostly it's been a break.

The more I shoot, the less I shoot. Way back, when I'd go every few weeks, I'd shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through several guns. Spend hours or the whole day. Now that I go a couple times a week, I may bring one gun and fire 6-8 rounds.
Gas miles wise, I guess the old way was better. lol Unless it's unbearably windy raw cold, I shoot year round.

Not a hobby. It's part of my every day in one way or another, for most of my adult life. Avocation for sure, as well as vocation a couple times. I almost get insulted when people call it my hobby, makes it seem so unimportant.

It was below 100 this weekend. That's a miracle this time of year so I took advantage of it and went shooting on Saturday and Sunday both. Still hot, but manageable.

Most of the time you step outside, burst into flames, and immediately go back indoors like a sane, rational human being.

I'll go shooting until it just absolutely gets miserably hot... or so cold I can't feel my fingers and my trigger control goes to hell.

I would like to live somewhere where it is perpetually autumn... But I haven't found out where that is yet. No summer hell, no brutal winter, no spring pollen and bugs everywhere... Just perpetual autumn.

Mike

Reactions: themightytimmah
I don't get why guys don't shoot year long. Zombies could start in Summer. You wouldn't have your dope for the heat. Did you fair weather sheeple shooters not think about this? Do I have to think for you all? :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot_20230807_162506_Facebook.jpg

I see a few others from MN in this thread just like me… Dec/Jan/Feb are pretty sketchy with the cold and snow which forces the seasonal shooting on us.
I wish it wasn’t so but it is what it is!

It was below 100 this weekend. That's a miracle this time of year so I took advantage of it and went shooting on Saturday and Sunday both. Still hot, but manageable.

Most of the time you step outside, burst into flames, and immediately go back indoors like a sane, rational human being.

I'll go shooting until it just absolutely gets miserably hot... or so cold I can't feel my fingers and my trigger control goes to hell.

I would like to live somewhere where it is perpetually autumn... But I haven't found out where that is yet. No summer hell, no brutal winter, no spring pollen and bugs everywhere... Just perpetual autumn.

Mike

My father-in-law is from Medellin, Colombia. It’s often called the land of eternal spring. Temps are 65-80 all year round.

I live in Alabama and definitely shoot less in the summer. I try to go early in the morning before it gets hot, and even then I mostly only go if I'm testing something, breaking something in, etc.

Reactions: themightytimmah
Very similar background to yours. I ordered a set of Srixon ZX7s to replace my Mizunos.

I live on the 1st hole of the golf course and also work the pro shop on Saturdays. As an employee, I get free golf. It’s hard not to go play golf on these hot days vs going to range which is a 45 minute drive.

I’m itching to start shouting again. Hopefully this week or next weekend.
I hadn't looked a new equipment for about 20 years. all my clubs were from when I was a freshman in HS so was pretty disconnected to current technology. a buddy of mine was more than willing to help me spend my money so ended up with my first brand new set of clubs at age 40. mizuno forged 921, cobra woods and hybrid, titleist wedges and scotty Cameron. I kept asking my buddy, why do theses new iron sets not come with a 3 iron and are hybrids the new thing? also, iron lofts got stronger for some reason to make it look like your hitting your irons longer? the hybrid is something I've needed to get use to bc I don't know if I'm suppose to hit it like a wood or a longer iron? at any rate, I'm couldn't of picked any 2 more difficult sports that require LOTS of practice to stay competitive but that is why they are both fun.