• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seat Depth during Break-in barrel

l115a3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Hi,

What is the proper seat depth for break in a barrel?

My new ftr rifle chamber spec .342nk , .150fb , 1-30

This rifle was new and never fired. I check the COAL with Hornady and got Berger 185 LRBT will touch land at COAL 2.860"

So, what COAL should I load for break in?
How long of throat that will longer after break in?

pick what ever coal you want a safe powder charge and shoot the fucker and it will then be broke in.

I just completed several builds at my friends house. A 223/22-250/6x47/308 all of which are below 1/2moa builds. Ive yet to break in a barrel . I start load development and shoot. I never worry about breaking in a new barrel . I clean when I feel accuracy drops off. Ive bore scoped the barrels and as long as you don't have copper building up your barrel is fine.

Dont matter. Just make up some safe loads and shoot it. With my rifles ive noticed that its a waste trying to develop a load until i have a good copper foul laid in the barrel. Ive never been able to get a load right away that was good from then on... just go shoot it..