• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating Depth differences between different bullets

Namekagon

Oracle of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
Has anyone seen massive differences in seating depth to lands when changing bullet types? Like 0.033" different?

So I am trying out a new bullet in my 6XC, 105 VLD Hunting. My normal match bullet is a 107 SMK. Obviously different shapes. Whenever I use a new bullet, I attempt to measure the seating depth to the lands, using two methods. First I pop a primer out of a fired case, dent the case mouth, and use the rifle to seat a bullet into the case. I use a dowel rod in the barrel to make sure the bullet moves backward when the bolt does (lands not pulling the bullet out of the case). I also color the bullet with a marker so I can see if has been pulled out on removal. I use this method to get close, and do it 10 times or more until I get a repeatable result within a few thousandths.

Then I will verify this measurement by seating a new bullet into a sized empty case and chambering it. Pull it out and observe the marks the lands make on the bullet. Then I seat the bullet a touch deeper, polish it just a bit with the rag I use to polish cases(dried Flitz on the rag) and rechamber, looking for new land marks. Continue until they nearly disappear. I have a Redding micrometer seater, which gives me good control over seating depth.

The above process on a 107 SMK results in a length (measured base-to-ogive with Sinclair comparator) of 2.080. When I do it with the Berger 105 VLD hunting, measure with same comparator, I get 2.047", repeatedly. To me, that's a huge difference. Every other bullet I've tried this with was within about 0.010" of the SMK seating depth.

The only speculation I have is that the comparator is grabbing the VLD much closer to the true ogive than it does on the SMK, Berger 105 hybrid, and Hornady 103 ELD-X, resulting in the longer measured lengths for those.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of difference before?

Yes one is a tangent and one is a secant ogive design... Huge difference in where the bearing surface engages

It’s because the chamber is cut tapered. I struggled with this phenomenon for years until someone pointed that out

Full length size a case but adjust the shoulder length for zero clearance. Cut a slit in the caseneck all the way into the shoulder using a dremel or needle file or similar. Stick a bullet into the neck and push the case into the chamber until you feel the case bottom out. Then push out the round with a cleaning rod and measure the oal.