• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating depth ??'s

mr4mojo2risin0

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Zanesvlle,Ohio
I just started playing with seating depth, and had a question on bullet depth. What is the minimum amount that a flat base bullet should be seated in the case? Also how does seating out the bullet further affect the pressure? I am reloading in a 6mm remington and have plenty of magazine length. Also where would you all start loading the bullet off the lands? I have been reloading for 4 years now and this is my first attempt at playing with bullet seating off the lands. I just finished putting a krieger 26" 6mm rem on a savage target action. I do not know where to start?

Re: Seating depth ??'s

A general rule of thumb has always been seat the bullet at least 1 caliber (.308 in a 30 cal., 1/4" for a 25 cal and so on). But on a few cases like the 300 WinMag the case neck isn't 1 caliber long.

It isn't how long to seat the bullets. It's how close to the lands do you get the end of the bullet. Some bullets like to be seated right against the lands. Some prefer a jump to get things going.

Since you have a custom barrel, a lot is going to depend on what reamer the 'smith chambered it with. Most factory chambers are so long they can't be touched with the bullet seated in the case.

Be aware, when you start getting close to the lands you are going to have pressure spikes. DO NOT try to touch the lands with a max load. You might have an explosion of brass or primer let go. Inches from your face isn't a good place for that to happen.

For knowledge sake, barely seat a bullet of your choice in an UNPRIMED case with a saw slit in the neck. This will provide some tension to hold the bullet. But not so much that you can't push the bullet in when you close the bolt. Be careful when you remove the case & bullet that it doesn't go flying across the room. If you drop it the measurement can change. Measure the Over All Length with dial calipers (or use a bullet comparitor on the calipers for a better number) and record in your handloading notebook for future refrence.

Every different bullet you try will need to be done this way. If you are shooting Sierra SMK's and want to shoot Berger's, you need to measure the Bergers. If you have those 2 recorded and want to shoot some Hornady, record that as well.

This number will change after about every 500 to 800 rounds by as much as .005" as the throat erodes.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

+1 To Victors post.
The only difference I use a fire formed case from my rifle. Slit the neck of the case twice with a dremel cut off wheel and squeeze the neck by hand. I make one of these for each bullet I load, and once I get my OAL I hold the bullet in place with a little nail polish or super glue down each cut. I keep these in a old loading block on the top shelf of the bench for reference.

good idea sponge! I will have to do that. Thanks for the help guys. I love this forum, everyone is so willing to help out a fellow shooter.

Victor is totally right on this. Overboar cartridges like a 22-250, if I remember correctly they prefer to jump the lands by a few thousandths. The 6mm Rem is a great caliber and I believe that they tend to like to be right at the lands. As Victor said, you are using a custom barrel so it is hard to say exactly what would be best. You may want to try some of both using some progressively moving back further off the lands. IMHO

Stoney Point/Hornady OAL Gauge is a nice tool to have...catch is you need once-fired brass to make the case inserts with, otherwise the case won't sit snug in the chamber and that can throw off your reading by a few thousandths or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigWill214</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You may want to try some of both using some progressively moving back further off the lands. IMHO </div></div>

To help make it go quicker, make the length adjustments in multiples of .005" If there is a difference with .0025" (two and a half thousandths) you most likely won't see it. But .005" MIGHT make a difference, one way or another.

Again, Victor is right. that much may not sound like a lot but once you get to that level of tweaking, you will find that sweet spot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Be aware, when you start getting close to the lands you are going to have pressure spikes. DO NOT try to touch the lands with a max load. </div></div>

i am not quite in agreement

you reduce pressure by increasing the case capacity of an specific cartridge

i seat almost all my loads from .025 to .010 off lands
to max load and i have tilted the can as well with no pressure signs

One thing about seating in the lands it is hard to make safe.
With light tension, and being in the lands, you may end up with a stuck bullet, and a chamber full of loose powder.

Making OAL shorter and adding powder only causes wear in different place.

If ya can mill more than 8 pounds of 304 ss in 22 min with 7.5 HP please help!

See you Ohio guy's this summer.

TC

Vic in TN, That is pretty much what I do also for checking seating depth to the Lands with the bullet in a Brass with loose neck tension . But for the extra precision I pop the Extractor Plunger & Spring Pin to remove all the play in the chamber cut clearance between the Brass and Bolt-face when chambering to check the OAL to the Lands.
Real easy to pop the pin and remove the plunger & only takes a few minutes of time . I just went through this today also and I was so damn close to the Lands with the VLD's that I will have this new barrel dialed in tomorrow on the Seating Depth & Chrony Vel..
There is always clearance tolerance from a couple thousands to much more between the bolt-face and base of Brass in the Chamber cut . So removing the Plunger & Spring just makes it way easier & more accurate when the Bolt-face is flat against the Brass without the Plunger pressure & nice and flat against the Case bottom .

Different bullets like to be in different places.
Bros 6.5 like to be about .005 away.
we are working on 308.
Hornady match and shorter have caused some bad preasure spikes at shorter.

Decreasing charge and making OAL bigger seems to be helping.
Group size is staying the same.

TC