• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating depth

goin_long

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2013
SW Montana
I recently built a 6x47 Lapua and I am in the process of load development. I read somewhere once that if your 3 shot group is two close and one away you should decrease case overall length and if they form a triangle the case overall length should be increased. Has anyone heard of this or had experience with it or is it more internet "magic"?

200w.gif

Even Anderson Cooper calls bs.

I imagine it would be difficult to increase the case overall length....3 shot groups aren’t worth the extra soft shit tickets you wipe your butt with and if you believed whoever told you that, see below for an awesome deal.

You looking for some cheap ocean front property? I’ve got some in Missouri I’ll sell you, 1,000,000 an acre. Just reply “I’ll take it” and I’ll send you my PayPal...I’ll pay the 3%

Reactions: CV_Ag
I was pretty cynical but figured I'd see what you guys thought. Lol. I definitely wasn't buying it hook line and sinker.

Look up Dan Newberry's OCW method, It works well for me.

I always thought seating depth was important for accuracy. Just recently I had a well respected gunsmith tell me that seating depth has nothing to do with accuracy unless your shooting vld bullets. Do I believe him hmmm not sure yet but I will say as much as everybody talks about seating depth on the internet I really do not think it matters that much. Unless you have a crooked chamber then it would make sense to me.

From what I have found, Seat depth does matter to an extent, But I shoot mainly Berger bullets and follow their method for tuning depth. I haven't found any yet that wouldn't shoot 10-20 thou off the lands.

I always thought seating depth was important for accuracy. Just recently I had a well respected gunsmith tell me that seating depth has nothing to do with accuracy unless your shooting vld bullets. Do I believe him hmmm not sure yet but I will say as much as everybody talks about seating depth on the internet I really do not think it matters that much. Unless you have a crooked chamber then it would make sense to me.

I suppose technically seating depth is not important. It is the jump to the lands that is very important for both accuracy and SD. Start running OCW tests and you will find out.