• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating depth

tate1976

Nvshooter
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Reno nv
Ok. Need some help. With some oal to find the sweet spot in the land for seating depth.

I have a 6.5 prc running Berger 153.5. Short action/ medium I can only go as far as 2.950 base to the tip of the bullet for mag length.
I measured out 2.33 over all length using the hornaday comparter setup.
The numbers I have right now are
.085 = 2.24ish
.095 =2.23ish
.105= 2.22
Do these number look right.
For me to max out mag length I have to run .085 from the lands which gives me 2.24ish.
How far can I push the bullet down and still be safe.

I don't really understand what you are saying. First, I don't have specific data or experience with the 153.5, but all the testing I've seen of the other modern Berger hybrids shows that they are really insensitive to seating depth, to the point that it's probably not even worth bothering to test unless you are shooting F class or benchrest. Second, what do you mean "to max out mag length?" Are you saying that the overall length of a loaded round at or jammed into the lands is 2.33"? That seems way too short for a case that is already 2.02" long. You should probably recheck your measurements.

Ok. Need some help. With some oal to find the sweet spot in the land for seating depth.

I have a 6.5 prc running Berger 153.5. Short action/ medium I can only go as far as 2.950 base to the tip of the bullet for mag length.
I measured out 2.33 over all length using the hornaday comparter setup.
The numbers I have right now are
.085 = 2.24ish
.095 =2.23ish
.105= 2.22
Do these number look right.
For me to max out mag length I have to run .085 from the lands which gives me 2.24ish.
How far can I push the bullet down and still be safe.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to read the series of articles on bullet jump here:

Pick the seating depth you want, If its 2.950 then start their. And work up with powder charge and keep an eye for pressure signs. I Finished load work up today for my 6.5 PRC, COAL is 2.950 with 56.8 grains of RL26. (156 EOL) I chose this length because i found a post on here that was info from berger and that is what they suggested. If you come up with a load that is getting close to max, And you decide to seat the bullet deeper or longer, I would start with a lowed charge of powder and work back up just to be safe.

If you’re limited by mag length, that is effectively your “lands.” As in, it’s the same effective starting point as someone who is not limited by the mag length and can touch the lands with the bullet.

Start there and work back in whatever increment you want, just as normal.

Reactions: straightshooter1
I've learned with Berger's that I minimize my seating depth tests because they are not really jump sensitive in my experience. I jump at .020 regularly. I tested this all the way to .110 and found groupings to be the same in the same bullets (109, 140, 144). So, now I just load to .020 and I'm done with it.

Reactions: Snuby642
I've learned with Berger's that I minimize my seating depth tests because they are not really jump sensitive in my experience. I jump at .020 regularly. I tested this all the way to .110 and found groupings to be the same in the same bullets (109, 140, 144). So, now I just load to .020 and I'm done with it.
I can’t that puts me over mag length and would have to single feed

Sorry anything below .070to.010 puts me e over mag length.
Just put them at mag length. They will be fine. Seriously. People jump these bullets well over 0.1” with no issues. They are designed to be jump insensitive.

Reactions: Snuby642
Short story is which ever you hit first lands or magazine, back off that by what you are comfortable with and shoot powder charges.

Some of the hot shooters then start pushing them back .003 at a time to tune.

In case of shooting hybrids that last process may be mute.