• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

seating die trouble

Re: seating die trouble

I assume you are talking about the body of the seater. In the middle of the seater and on top is a thin long threaded bolt with a nut . Put your case with bullet insert on top .push down on the loading ram arm all the way. Loosen nut on the threaded bolt,turn threaded bolt tils it contacts the tip of bullet. At half a turn down wards on the threaded bolt,kept going til the desired OAL is achecied.. Then lock the nut down on the threaded bolt. Hope this help.

nope... I screwed the body of the die down until it made shellholder contact.... i unscrewed the thimble (part that controls seating depth) and insearting casing powdered primed and a bullet sitting on top.... ran the ram up, and screwed the thimble down until it made contact with the bullet... then lowered ram and started seating the bullet deeper and deeper until the thimble bottomed out at 2.950.... will not seat ANY deeper than that..... what am i doing wrong here?

Did you stop when the floating part at the bottom made contact? If so you can still turn it down. You may get more depth by using allen wrench through the hole in the top of the die.....

OK here was my temporary fix.... the thimble connects via allen head screw to the bullet seating body... the part that actually contacts the bullet.... i dissasembled that and put a 1/2 inch nut in between the thimble and the bullet seating piece... then since i added that much length i had to use a differant bolt to put it back together... this gave me the neccessary depth but i dont think it is as precise as it could/should be.... is this a faulty die... i am not new to reloading by anymeans and this has my stumped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">turn the stem on the top further in... </div></div>

i wish it were that easy.

Hmmmm, get a loaded round with the same case length that your loading. Insert loaded cartridge on the shellholder, backout the seating stem, raise the ram with the cartridge in the shellholder,and screw in the die untill it stops. You can the back off the dies a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn. Then screw in the seating stem untill it snugs up. Should get you close unless there is something really wrong.

wouldnt work with whats going on.... the seating stem just wont go down far enough to seat the bullets to any reasonable lenght... 2.800 is the MAX length i can load and still fit in my gun.... and i had to add a half inch onto the seating stem to get it there... what if i wanted to seat deaper than that?

could maybe rcbs have shipped me a 30 06 comp seating die? that would explain the differances in length... the case says 308 but the range in which the seater goes leads me to believe that its for a longer bullet casing in general... maybe a phone call in the morning.

Doh, sorry my eye read Redding Comp die. I'd call RCBS. Looking at your pic it doesn't seem like it should be that much of a problem. Maybe the seating stem it's shaped to work with Scenar profiles. I always use SMK, Berger and Nosler so I'm not up on the Scenar bullet shape.

Are you using the extra-long shell holder that comes with the seater?

Yep, extra long one. Call RCBS and they send one for free.

that makes ZERO sense if he bottomed the die against the shell holder already.

My guess is when they assembled the die they put the wrong parts inside - say for a 30-06 instead of a 308. Call RCBS on the phone, tell them of the situation, and they'll send you the internals for free, or possibly a complete die.

We'll have to wait and see. RCBS does not advertise this fact, but since their competition seater does not fully support the case, each die will accomodate a wide range of cartridges. I routinely load .221 FB from my .223 die. He does state that he has moved the seater die down to touch the shell holder, but sounds like he is using the wrong shell holder.

Hate it when people who don't know what they're talking about give bad advice to a new guy.

Jacq, the RCBS comp seater comes with a long shellholder. You have to use it for this reason. If you didn't get one, order one. Problem solved.

Well,shit happens. Sometimes even when one does't be in the know, to stir thinhs up a little. Between the "new" China built Rockchucker and this gentleman not getting a long shellholder and a call to RCBS,some old fart that answers your question with a question,I'm done with RCBS,stepping up to Redding ,Forter and other better grade. What esle do you hate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well,shit happens. Sometimes even when one does't be in the know, to stir thinhs up a little. Between the "new" China built Rockchucker and this gentleman not getting a long shellholder and a call to RCBS,some old fart that answers your question with a question,I'm done with RCBS,stepping up to Redding, Forster and other better grade. What esle do you hate? </div></div>
+1