• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating from the ogive

sblanch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Iowa
Does anyone make a seating die that seats from the ogive?

My Hornady New Dimension die seats from a spot on the give but near the tip.
I would think that slight differences in bullet shape would cause varying oal from the head to the ogive causing a different setback from the lands.

By seating from a point very near the junction between the ogive and bearing surface this variation would be minimized.

I doubt I'm the first person who has considered this might be an issue so surely some manufacturer has built a die that seats from a point at or close to the bearing surface.

Re: Seating from the ogive

my lee cheapo dies seat close to the ogive. as long at the bullet isnt being seated by the tip itself you should be fine. if you seat a round spin it and seat it again. you should see some marks on the bullet where it contacts the seating die. i would be suprised if it was truly seatign from the tip.

It does not seat from the tip.
It seats at the point that the bullet reaches about .225" diameter.
If the length of several bullets varies between the distance from .225" diameter and .300" diameter, wouldn't I get different lengths of loaded cartridges measured to the ogive?

sorry just re-read your original. i think at this point is when custom dies come into play while being matched with a certain bullet. On the lee loading from the same point the Hornady does, i will check all measurements from the ogive and seem all to be spot on. I would think if you are using a good projectile the differences you would see would be minimal. benchrest guys may see a difference but I sure dont.

My oal measured fron the tip varies +-.004" using 168 SMKs.

I figured that inconsistancy would carry over when measuring from the ogive since I am not seating from the ogive.

The question that led to my original post was if it was worth it to get a comperator to measure length if I cant seat consistantly anyway.

Throw a .224 comparator on your calipers and measure some bullets from the base to where the comparator hits. Should be real close to where you die is hitting at .225. I haven't ever worried about it, but it might give you some insight to whether or not you are going to get slightly different seating depths.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drakeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The redding competition dies seat from the ogive, I am pretty sure. </div></div>

That is correct.

I was just watching a video the other day on the Redding Competition Bullet Seater for the .30 WIN and they said Redding used a SMK 168gr, to the ogive, as their template for the seating stem. I just bought this Die and am pleased thus far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drakeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The redding competition dies seat from the ogive, I am pretty sure.</div></div>