• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating Question

H5N1

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm trying to work on a Berger 95gr.vld in .243. I'm loading 41.5gr.IMR 4350. I've also seated this batch .005 into the lands and some on the lands. The manual I have shows this is max load.I've never had to seat into the lands before. Is it still safe seated this way at?

Thanks for your help,

Re: Seating Question

Is this your starting point for this load? I usually get my powder charge close to where I want it before moving in on the lands. Then I move close to the lands before jamming into them.

Watch for high pressure signs on each round.

No, I was at this seating with 40.8gr. IMR4350 but it's to slow. I started jummping them but it wouldent do 1moa till I got to the lands and its a little better into.005 but the book shows thats max load at 41.5gr. I just dont want it to blow up in my face. How much does the seating affect the pressure?

Seating against the lands will cause a pressure spike at powder ignition that will be higher than it normally is. It is a bit more difficult to get the bullet moving when it's seated into the lands. When it has a few thousandths to get a running start it works out easier.

There is always a pressure spike at ignition. But the reason the rifle doesn't explode is because the spike is relatively short lived. I forget the proper term, "nano seconds" maybe?

But if you have already been shooting at this same seating length, you may be safe to bump the powder charge a little. Just keep an eye on the cases for high pressure signs.