• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating stem honing

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
I'd like to hone the inside of my Hornady Custom seating stem. It's putting that God awful ring on my SMK's. So I'm going to sacrifice a bullet to spin up in a drill and fit it properly.

What honing compound have you guys used to do this with?

I'd like to hone the inside of my Hornady Custom seating stem. It's putting that God awful ring on my SMK's. So I'm going to sacrifice a bullet to spin up in a drill and fit it properly.

What honing compound have you guys used to do this with?
Valve grinding compound is what I see recommended most often.

If you choose a different polish then I wouldnt go too much higher than 600 grit. It took for freaking every for me to do it with 800 grit.

Reactions: XLR308
I agree with Spife and would add you may need to sacrifice two or three bullets.
The reason I say that is the jacket material will be the softest metal and will be removed the fastest.
Give a spin and when you start seeing the jacket wearing away at the tip I would reassemble the die and seat a bullet to to test it.
Once you remove material it won't grow back if you know what I mean ?

A cue tip and Iosso spun in a drill smoothed my Redding stem nicely. No more marks on 223 ELDMs.
Can’t take credit for the idea, someone else previously posted the suggestion here.

Reactions: spife7980