• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating VLD bullets

Birddog67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
TX
Here's is the deal loading 210 VLDS 300 ultra , neck sizing only to .336
Using RCBS gold metal bullet seating dies , use a loaded bullet OAL 3.60
First bullet loaded comes out 3.69 adjust it .09. down
Next bullet 3.63 adjust ..03 down
Next bullet 3.68 adjust it again .08 down
Next bullet 3.57
Load next bullet 3.610
What am I doing wrong , is it the die , I am using the chafer tool for VLD in my prep station it I supposed to help when seating also once I seat the bullet it is hard to seat it down after adjusting the die ? Help

Re: Seating VLD bullets

I assume that you are measuring to the tip of the bullet. You need to measure to the ogive, the part of the bullet that starts to taper. If you look at the points of the bullets and compare them, you will notice that they are all a little different. When you seat a bullet in a press, the press seats the bullet by putting pressure on the ogive, not the tip.

^ this, you can start measuring your bullets to sort them into piles + or - .002 before loading

that will help out some but measuring ogive is real solution

The "Sticky's" at the top regarding reloading are your friends. They will probably help you with 99% of your questions and possibly keep ya from getting flamed on here. I've read them now numerous times, printed them out, and continue to follow the logical advice closely. It'll pay off big time for ya. Read, read, read. Have fun and great bullet. Shoot them in 25-06, 270, 7MM, and 300 Mag. Love'm !

+ 1 sort your ogives and bullet OAL's and that will minimize youe deviations in COALs

+1 measure by ogive , not base to tip for the reasons mentioned above.

you may have inconsistent neck tension as well , try running the press slower , maybe even lubing the insides of the case neck.

Make sure you use a VLD seater plug otherwise your bullets will be seated by the meplat and you get different OAL because of it. I found out the hard way.....

The ogive is the entire tapered bullet profile from shank diameter to meplat.

I sure haven't seen every seating plug ever made but all I have seen were counter bored sufficently deep to prevent any possible contact with a meplat.

It's bullet jump to the lands that matters (and that less than many seem to believe), not OAL to the meplat.

Forster BR dies + 300 OTM Bergers (338)= smashed meplat
This is why Redding sell VLD seating plugs.

I just worked through this problem. My new brass had a lot of neck tension. I had as much as .012" difference in seating depth using a Sinclair comparator for checking. Getting the Redding VLD seater helped some but I did not get consistant seating depth until the second loading of the brass. The neck tension was much lower the second time.I tried Imperial neck lube on some of the first loadings but it had minimal effect. Has anyone else tried a lube that works well for this?

I've used graphite but couldn't tell a difference. For your seating depth question though, I just measure some bullets and find the most common length, load and compress to my desired length, then crank out 99 more without even messing with the micrometer on my die. My rifles shoot in the .1's when I do my part so I guess it works for me. I shoot Bergers and they are consistent until they get near the tip (meplat)

Graphite in alcohol (Lock Ease) helps. Also cleaning and polishing the insides of the neck with 0000 steel wool on a cleaning brush spun in a hand drill. Additional thing to consider is number of sizing times...do the cases need annealing?

I do not know if they need annealing. All I know is that they are new. I usually anneal after four firings.

Don't be alarmed. Bullets very in length. Especially soft lead tip. Find a sweet spot and go with it.

which seater plug should one get? i am loading .308 and they offer long and standard length seater plugs.

thank you
joe

If it's Redding then it's neither as there is a separate VLD stem. Sinclair doesn't list it but they carry it. I got the part # from Redding.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joemusso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which seater plug should one get? i am loading .308 and they offer long and standard length seater plugs.

thank you
joe </div></div>

as i stated before redding sells a long and a standard.
i dont know which one to use.
i have a completion micrometer seating die so i don't know which one is in it if either one.

long 55750
standard 55730

joe