• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seats at the range

Disfunctional_Engineer

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2020
Why the hell is it that when going to ranges the seats at the shooting benches always seem like they're 6-8" too short? Did I miss something about positions here? Am I supposed to bring a massive cushion/spacer or something else I missed out on? Do I to my ignorance have a torso that's disproportionately short compared to the rest of the population?I've been to say 3-4 ranges and that seem that way and always feel like I'm sitting on my leg to get to a good height.

Two easy fixes in order of most to least desireable
  1. Use the prone position from the ground between two benches
  2. Stand up behind the bench and directly behind the rifle then lean fwd and lay your torso down on the bench as if you were shooting prone from it
Pretty much 99% of shooting benches out there force you to sit with your shoulders not perpendicular with the axial centerline of the rifle, which is extremely poor form much like how you see ol Elmer Fudd here:
1601309567189.png

2. Stand up behind the bench and directly behind the rifle then lean fwd and lay your torso down on the bench as if you were shooting prone from it
Pretty much 99% of shooting benches out there force you to sit with your shoulders not perpendicular with the axial centerline of the rifle, which is extremely poor form much like how you see ol Elmer Fudd here:
View attachment 7434518
Looks like the set the government used to shoot Apollo 11.....

• Haha
Reactions: Pbgt and 308pirate
I go to some of those ranges. If I cannot shoot prone then I bring my Craftsman creeper stool with me. I can adjust it to whatever height is needed.

If the range has seats in a fixed position and I cannot shoot prone the boat cushions have always worked out well for me.

View attachment 7434518

I would much rather shoot from prone, maybe I'll ask. I could see that being very dependent on the range you're shooting at and how the RSO feels that day. Considering the one I go to I am not holding my breath.

Maybe I'll dig a few 2X10s out and make a modular chair system for them or something.

View attachment 7434518
Well, as an alternative to sitting on fixed benches on the of a shooting bench....cause perhaps like yourself I just can't manage to get square behind the gun.....I bought a drummer's stool and what ole' Elmer there is sitting on looks just like it.

Its a Roc-n-soc drummer's stool though I have seen them for sale on shooting websites as shooting stools. Yeah, I drag it out to the range every time, but its very comfortable, the nitrogen charged cylinder works well to adjust and hold height, and it breaks down into a nice carrying bag. Its build like professional equipment and will last me a lifetime (well, at my age and health that ain't really much of a brag! haha)

With all of this said, I still can't seem to fully control recoil and completely eliminate all of the jump up and to the left. So, I bought a Midway shooting mat that arrived today and I will be starting to shoot prone this week (one station at my most local club for prone...sigh). But using the stool to get behind the gun certainly helped a lot.